• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samurai lovers

madmadigan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Also, how much would 17 oz denim (S5000VX) shrink in hot vs cold cycles?

BiG estimates the following for hot wash:

Waist: -2.0''
Rise: -0.5''
Leg width: -0.5''
Inseam: -2.5''

Would cold soaking and air drying get about the following?

Waist: -1.0''
Rise: -0.25''
Leg width: -0.25
Inseam: little to no loss

I think a cold soak would get you more shrinking than that. Still not as much as warm/hot, but more than that. If I'm not mistaken, the shrinking has to do more with the actual water, than the temp. Warmer water will be more, but for the most part, it's just water period that shrinks the unsanf stuff. Could be wrong though.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, how much would 17 oz denim (S5000VX) shrink in hot vs cold cycles?

BiG estimates the following for hot wash:

Waist: -2.0''
Rise: -0.5''
Leg width: -0.5''
Inseam: -2.5''

Would cold soaking and air drying get about the following?

Waist: -1.0''
Rise: -0.25''
Leg width: -0.25
Inseam: little to no loss

confused.gif
why delay the inevitable? unless you're not washing evaar.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a proxy service to get Samurai jeans? Blue in Green is out of stock in my size. What proxy services can get Samurais?
I am sure that most Japanese proxy services can get you Samurais, but it'd probably be easier and cheaper just to order them directly from Rakuten. Several Rakuten stores carry Samurais and ship internationally.
Also, how much would 17 oz denim (S5000VX) shrink in hot vs cold cycles? BiG estimates the following for hot wash: Waist: -2.0'' Rise: -0.5'' Leg width: -0.5'' Inseam: -2.5'' Would cold soaking and air drying get about the following? Waist: -1.0'' Rise: -0.25'' Leg width: -0.25 Inseam: little to no loss
That is about the amount of shrinkage that I usually get with cold soaks on unsanforized denim. The only difference is that I get about an inch of shrinkage in the inseam as well.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okey, let's try to help out jrd617. he's prolly trying to get a slimmer fit on the 5000VX, but doing it backwards.

it's common knowledge VX stretches a ton, so you can actually size down 1 to 2 [depending on your built]. suggestion: 1st, do an initial 1-hr tepid soak + hang dry. 2nd, repeat the process__ but, this time, do a hot soak below the top block. personally, i'd wear them for a couple of days then repeat step 2 [before the creases set in].... then, hem. if you're buying & want them hemmed before shipping__ add 2.5" to your actual/desired post wash inseam measurement.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also, how much would 17 oz denim (S5000VX) shrink in hot vs cold cycles? BiG estimates the following for hot wash: Waist: -2.0'' Rise: -0.5'' Leg width: -0.5'' Inseam: -2.5'' Would cold soaking and air drying get about the following? Waist: -1.0'' Rise: -0.25'' Leg width: -0.25 Inseam: little to no loss
you are going to get 2" shrinkage out them if you do a hot or warm wash. sometimes you might get a tad more if you do a hot wash. if your concerned about sizing just make sure you size up. i would contact the place you buy them from to get their advice. using bigs measurements and not buying from them is so uncool.

SupeMassivePowerTrip

Reaction score
Going for my 3rd hoat soak, worn the s710 twice. I've noticed the leather patch isn't handling the hot soaks all too well, do you guys recommend putting some obenaufs LP on it before I go for it?

Also, I got some key fades already, does anyone know if the s710 fade quicker than apc ns?

pumped

Reaction score
Girlfriend is bringing back a pair of sammi 610lx-rr's for me, but have question about sizing, im a 31" measured waist at where I wear my jeans, so should I go with a tagged size 28 or 30??

thanks guys

a salaam alaikum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pumped
Girlfriend is bringing back a pair of sammi 610lx-rr's for me, but have question about sizing, im a 31" measured waist at where I wear my jeans, so should I go with a tagged size 28 or 30??

thanks guys

i picked up a pair of these and sold then within a week, they were way too low rise for me.

I would check the sizing chart on BIG's site though: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=62

I bought a size 30, they shrank about 2 inches in the waist after a hot soak. Seems like 30 would be best for you.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SupeMassivePowerTrip
Going for my 3rd hoat soak, worn the s710 twice. I've noticed the leather patch isn't handling the hot soaks all too well, do you guys recommend putting some obenaufs LP on it before I go for it?

Also, I got some key fades already, does anyone know if the s710 fade quicker than apc ns?

I would do the LP, from my experience it definitely helps the patch hold up to the soaks better.

From my past experience with both brands, Samurais do tend to fade faster than APCs.

Originally Posted by pumped

thanks guys

I would go with the 30. These jeans will shrink when you soak them, plus they are very low-rise, so they will sit lower on your hips than most jeans do.

prajna12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beautiful_FrEaK
Feels like ages I did this. But why not when it's possible?!

P1020790.jpg

P1020792.jpg

The obligatory post soak fit. After they fully dried over night. I wore them 2 hours and then took the fit pics.

S0500lot11post.jpg

Are these the 710's? I just washed mine for the first time in ~6 months...

IMAG0058.jpg

beautiful_FrEaK

Reaction score
@pumped: I would also say get the size 30 but make sure you can handle the low rise. @prajna12: no those are S0500XX. Can't be S710XX because of the contrast arcs which the the S710XX never had

pumped

Reaction score
thanks for the input.

So do you guys recommend soak/dry, soak/dry, etc., to get all the shrinking out, or
soak/dry "wear" soak/dry "wear" etc..

Originally Posted by beautiful_FrEaK
@pumped: I would also say get the size 30 but make sure you can handle the low rise.

@prajna12: no those are S0500XX. Can't be S710XX because of the contrast arcs which the the S710XX never had

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads