• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sales in London

Reaction score
I made a few enquiries and have ascertained the following sale information-
Harvie and Hudson- 27 Dec to end Jan, all items reduced.
Cordings-27 Dec to end Jan, various sale items and reductions.
James Smith and Sons- a sharp "No, WE do not have sales Sir"
Kilgour- 8 Jan to end Jan.
Gieves and Hawkes-27 Dec to end Jan.
T&A- 28 Dec to end Jan.
New and Lingwood- 17 Dec to end Jan.
Benson and Clegg- 2 Jan to end Jan.
Ede and Ravenscroft- 27 Jan to end Jan, 20% off, including suits.
Shipton and Hennage- no sales planned, although situation under review.
Geo F Trumper- no sale.
Taylor's of Old Bond Street- 27 Dec to end Jan.
Hackett- 27 Dec to end Jan, various items, up to 50% off.

I have put end Jan, as many of the staff where unsure exactly how long the sales would last, and have made, a guess based on previous years. Of course the sale stock is limited and early attendance is best.

On a personal note, the range of staff friendliness was also varied, with Ede and Ravenscroft being the most friendly, helpful and polite, with honourable mentions for Cordings and Harvie and Hudson. The others were all acceptable, although many seemed to find it a chore to answer the telephone and also surprisingly seem to employ foreigners only.
Just to fill out this very useful information which Nonk has supplied:

John Lobb, Jermyn Street - sale starts 29 Dec
Swaine Adeney, St James - sale starts 28 Dec
Edward Green, Burlington Arcade - sale starts 4 January

All three telephones were answered promptly and my enquiries were met with friendly and courteous replies.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Any info on the dates of the Richard James sale?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I second Nonk's words regarding Ede & Ravenscroft. I was browsing in their Savile Row store a month or so ago and a very friendly clerk chatted with me for a while. He also mentioned,completely unprompted, the sale which starts after Boxing Day.

I picked up two of their ties in the summer sales at 50% off. One's fantastic, the other is a b**** to tie.

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
I just have to say you guys are great. I'm in London on 18 January (returning from Israel) and have scheduled a six hour lay-over to make a mad dash down Jermyn Street.

Thanks for the advanced intel on who's offering what and where -- saves me quite a bit of time. One of the reasons why I love this board.

Metroliner

Reaction score
Well I visited Ede, Gieves and a few other odd stores (Jaeger, Aquascutum) today. The deals don't seem insanely good at the moment (500-550gbp reduced to about 300-400 gbp). Although Ede and Ravenscroft service is impeccable as usual.

Reaction score
I will be in London for a quick trawl through the sales tomorrow. Actually, if I can pick up a £550 E&R suit for £300, I'll be pretty pleased...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts on H&H website are not the same as before the sales.

Are the former one available in the shops at sales price?

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
London Times--December 26, 2004 \t "FOR MEN Agnès b 35-36 Floral Street, WC2; 020 7565 1188 Starts Tomorrow; from 30% off Best buy: Men's printed-velvet jacket, £235, was £335 Dunhill 48 Jermyn Street, SW1; 0845 458 0779 Starts Tomorrow; 30% off Best buy: Seasonal accessories Gant 47-49 Brompton Road, SW3; 0845 111 1010 Starts Tomorrow; 30% off Best buy: Casual weekend sweaters and jackets Hugo Boss 184-186 Regent Street, W1; 020 7734 7919 Starts Today; up to 30% off Best buy: Suits, shirts, shoes and bags Richard James 29 Savile Row, W1; 020 7434 0605 Starts January 8; up to 40% off Best buy: Great selection of smart suits and knitwear John Smedley 24 Brook Street, W1; 020 7495 2222 Starts Tomorrow; 25%-35% off merino wool knitwear Best buy: Crew-neck long-sleeved pullover, £59, was £79 Paul Smith 40-44 Floral Street, WC2, and stores nationwide; 020 7257 8948 Starts December 30; 30%-50% off Best buy: Great for shirts, suits and the PS diffusion line Ted Baker 9-10 Floral Street, WC2; 020 7836 7808 Starts Today; 30%-50% off Best buy: Great for suits and casual wear for both men and women Thomas Pink 74 Sloane Street, SW1; 85 Jermyn Street, W1; Selfridges, W1; 020 7498 3882, www.thomaspink.co.uk Starts Tomorrow; Selfridges today; 30% off Best buy: Great for accessories, shirts and ties Yohji Yamamoto 14-15 Conduit Street, W1; 020 7491 4129 Starts December 28; 40% off Best buy: Black wool coat with rope toggles, £492, was £820"

Reaction score
OK, I didn't get a suit anywhere. I wanted an everyday black suit for 'work' but there wasn't much choice. The only one in E&R was a 3 button peaked lapel "Cocktail Suit" with a paisley lining - bit blingtastic for my taste. There was also a lightweight two button black suit in Hackett's. Quite nice but the (working) cuff buttons were strangely set in two groups of two with about an inch gap between them. The SA described it as a military cuff, but I'm not so sure...

Selected shirts in T&A are about half-price. Ties also about half-price. I got a shirt with a fine violet stripe and a violet tie with small white polka-dots.

The piece de resistance was an attache case from Swaine Adeney. They have a table of shop-soiled briefcases and other luggage (most of the men's clothing is reduced by 30% by the way). I got a superb attache case in dark tan with dark green leather lining for less than £300. A few scuff and pressure marks, but then it's going to pick those up sooner or later anyway.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congrats on the Swaine Adney briefcase. They had some nice portfolios for £110 today, but there not what I need. I think I might have taken that attache case if you'd left it another day.

The ties at Turnbull were truly AWFUL. They were at a decent price (I think £22 or 3 for £59), but they looked like junk the shop has been trying to unload at sales for about a decade. I found ONE which was wearable, but just barely.

On the positive side, the sale has started at Crockett and Jones. Very difficult to walk out of there with no shoes, but at £150-£200, they're out of my league. I nearly bit on a pair of suede monkstraps. They seem pretty well stocked for sizes and style choices. I think I'm going to pick up suede brogues from Charles Tyrwhitt for 50% off, and maybe another pair of Grensons from Bennie's in the next shipment instead for a combined same price.

Another place worth checking out was Taylor of Bond Street (on Jermyn). 50% off on shaving brushes and other assorted merch.

That's about it. Very busy in the stores today, and quite exhausting.

EDIT- forgot to add something. I went in a couple of Church's shops and was astonished. The shoes were hideously overpriced. When I was at the C&J in Burlington, a customer was saying to a salesman that he wanted to check out the Church's sale before buying the pair he was trying. I wanted to tell him not to bother.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to H&K Paris and there is no nice shirts. New rather ugly colors or old ones.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For all in London: check out the Sale at Asprey in Bond Street. http://asprey.com Some of the clothing items have 75% off. Got myself a nice waxed cotton overcoat: a cross between Barbour and those Australian sheepshearer coats. But Italian made, smarter, lighter and definitely less smelly than Barbour. (A snip at £131.25, down from £525.00.)

TKDKid

Reaction score
On the positive side, the sale has started at Crockett and Jones. Very difficult to walk out of there with no shoes, but at £150-£200, they're out of my league. I nearly bit on a pair of suede monkstraps. They seem pretty well stocked for sizes and style choices.
I was a bit disappointed with the C&J sale at the Jermyn St store actually - I recognised a lot of the shoes in my size as leftovers from the summer sale. Â I did pick up a pair of Holborn chukka boots in black though, which is being discontinued and replaced by the Grafton.
I think I'm going to pick up suede brogues from Charles Tyrwhitt for 50% off, and maybe another pair of Grensons from Bennie's in the next shipment instead for a combined same price.
I thought Bennie's didn't ship to the UK? http://www.benniesshoes.com/Merchan....ingInfo

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TKDKid, If these were holdovers from the Summer sale, does that mean they just shove them in a warehouse or back room if no one bites at the current markdown? I think I could rationalise a pair at a little lower, but don't want to make endless trips to Burlington and Jermyn street if it's unnecessary. Wait, who am I kidding, I'll be doing that anyway, but it would be nice to know.

As for Bennies, I had the shoes forwarded from an address in New York.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads