• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Real life pictures of my new black and white high tops!

Nice.

Nice floors, too. ;)

Illithid Dude

Reaction score
Jeans aren't made in USA and neither are, what, 100% of the pieces? All he is describing is creating samples/designs versus producing the collections themselves (garments to be sold), he just has no idea how this works....

I was referring to how he managed to gain entry to Saint Laurents design studio.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys. Just got a pair of SLPs in the mail. Definitely need to have them hemmed (pic of the hem attached). Www.denimtherapy.com offers a mail-order service that offers chain stitching or moving the original hem the (apparently) right way. Anybody have a better suggestion for a guy who doesn't have a tailor capable of chain stitching nearby?

Thanks.

Bussit

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got a pair of SLPs in the mail. Definitely need to have them hemmed (pic of the hem attached). Www.denimtherapy.com offers a mail-order service that offers chain stitching or moving the original hem the (apparently) right way. Anybody have a better suggestion for a guy who doesn't have a tailor capable of chain stitching nearby?

Thanks.
This may be the technique they're referring to: http://home.comcast.net/~kozykitty/blog/originalhem.pdf , but I have a crazy theory I've been thinking about for the past hour. What's bugging me is why you insist on having it chain stitched.

My crazy theory is that they will:
  1. Undo the hem
  2. Cut the pant leg accordingly
  3. Blind hem stitch the pant leg to the inside of the original hem
  4. Chainstitch on the outside to reduce any signs of alterations

A more reasonable theory:
  1. Cut and sew the pant leg as close as f... to the original hem
  2. Iron and starch the living **** out of it to minimize any signs of alteration. Similar to what was done to your APCs, but with a little more umm...precision.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This may be the technique they're referring to: http://home.comcast.net/~kozykitty/blog/originalhem.pdf , but I have a crazy theory I've been thinking about for the past hour. What's bugging me is why you insist on having it chain stitched. 

My crazy theory is that they will:
  1. Undo the hem
  2. Cut the pant leg accordingly
  3. Blind hem stitch the pant leg to the inside of the original hem 
  4. Chainstitch on the outside to reduce any signs of alterations

A more reasonable theory:
  1. Cut and sew the pant leg as close as f... to the original hem
  2. Iron and starch the living **** out of it to minimize any signs of alteration. Similar to what was done to your APCs, but with a little more umm...precision.

Well, I'm mainly interested in keeping as much of the original look of the hem as possible as there's some nice fading there. I wrote them and asked what they suggest and they said it would probably be best to just hem them (yes, with a chain stitch--sorry if I seem obsessed). It's only $25 plus shipping to NYC.

What would you suggest? I don't know anything about stacking. My whole life I've been mercilessly rolling up my jeans. For the past few I've been getting them hemmed. Now that I have a nice pair of SLPs I want to do the right thing.

Thanks.

Bussit

Reaction score
I don't want to derail the thread entirely so I'll PM you most of what I have to say there. Last July, I was knocking on 200 lbs' door and felt disgusted with myself so I decided to totally revamp my lifestyle. As mentioned before, I'm 5'7", and in my opinion, my figure/shape still doesn't allow for such ridiculous amounts of stacks to look attractive or I'm simply just buying the wrong trousers and should look into j-cuts (I've lost 25 pounds since July).

For now, I own the skinny cuts from SS13 and FW13 from SL. The latter (black skinnies) out the box, looked like a ******* accordion below my calves. Without giving it a second thought, I got them hemmed to 30" to have a little bit of stacking, if you want to call it that. My SS13 skinnies were hemmed to 30" by the previous owner so I'm good there.

The focus here is about having your jeans hemmed the right length, not chain stitching. I felt the same way you did when I first got into denim...or jeans (heh) about chain stitching. Now, I just don't give a hoot. It's something extra to give your jeans of a more vintage feature because a regular stitching job will still provide the roping effect (on raws).

I apologize if I didn't answer your question correctly, but I'll do so via PM with a couple fit pics and then some.

By the way, is anyone looking to hire someone in the IT / Operations department? >:D

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post a pick of it stacked before having it hemmed. If they're skinny jeans and you're relatively thin it could look great stacked. IIRC, SLP doesn't have an insanely long inseam out of the box, so I don't think you need to be worried. Learn how to stack correctly before freaking out:

• Pull the hem up as high on your calf as you can
  • Arrange or order the stacks a bit more on your calf while it's scrunched up at the top
  • When pushing the hem back down arrange any stacks as needed (folds) so it doesn't look sloppy

That makes it sound a lot more complicated than it is. It should take you about 30 seconds to stack each pant leg, and basically you want to pull up first and arrange a bit while back down so there's not a floppy look to the stacks. Don't think about it too much or SF police will make fun of you.

heartlessphil

Reaction score

[COLOR=222222]I don't want to derail the thread entirely so I'll PM you most of what I have to say there. Last July, I was knocking on 200 lbs' door and felt disgusted with myself so I decided to totally revamp my lifestyle. As mentioned before, I'm 5'7", and in my opinion, my figure/shape still doesn't allow for such ridiculous amounts of stacks to look attractive or I'm simply just buying the wrong trousers and should look into j-cuts (I've lost 25 pounds since July). [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]For now, I own the skinny cuts from SS13 and FW13 from SL. The latter (black skinnies) out the box, looked like a ******* accordion below my calves. Without giving it a second thought, I got them hemmed to 30" to have a little bit of stacking, if you want to call it that. My SS13 skinnies were hemmed to 30" by the previous owner so I'm good there.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]The focus here is about having your jeans hemmed the right length, not chain stitching. I felt the same way you did when I first got into denim...or jeans (heh) about chain stitching. Now, I just don't give a hoot. It's something extra to give your jeans of a more vintage feature because a regular stitching job will still provide the roping effect (on raws).[/COLOR]

I apologize if I didn't answer your question correctly, but I'll do so via PM with a couple fit pics and then some.

By the way, is anyone looking to hire someone in the IT / Operations department? >:D

Grats on the 25 lbs loss. I'm in the same boat as you. Weight 215 ish lbs / 6f1 and most of my clothes don't fit at the moment. I need to find the motivation to lose 25 lbs. I have 2 nice pairs of givenchy jeans waiting for me to lose some damn weight. There is no way I could rock SLP jeans with their cuts. What have you changed that was the most beneficial? I've been able to lose 20 pounds in 4 months by completely eleminating sugar but I regained pretty much everything after Christmas. It's hard to do it again especially since my girlfriend love to eat and try new restaurants and she never EVER gain weight :devil:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads