• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prudy I think that colour is nice, and I considered them when they were first released (SS14). I didn't go with them because ripped / destroyed aren't really for me (I went with the bleached blue from the runway instead), but they looked very cool. Here's some more pictures:

The medium grey in that picture were also nice that season, and I also nearly bought those.

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That light grey one also caught my attention especialy with the destroyed details it looks quite cool imo the colour and design.

Prudy

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks Kieran! I don't normally do destroyed, either, but something about that color is calling to me. I think they will look great in a low brow/high brow sort of combo w/ my blazers, specifically the SS14 black cropped wool blazer w/ the gold buttons and maybe the striped yellow/black or any other striped T.

Obviously, they will look killer w/ the leathers...

Last edited:

slann01

Reaction score
Yesterday I got really lucky at the outlet and found one of my grails for 70% off, the officer coat; plus the ss13 printed silk shirt and a non-SLP Dior pair of creepers:

When does the sale start? Both online and instore?
If you're from Europe, online it should start around the first days of june, while in store depends from the country where you live, for instance here in Italy it will be mid june for the private sale and july for the general sale.

Prudy

Reaction score
Whoa, @slann01 that's great - I've never seen it with black buttons before. I didn't even know they had outlets, either...

Hey, but when you gonna wear that thing in Rome??? :)

Last edited:

slann01

Reaction score
Whoa, @slann01 that's great - I've never seen it with black buttons before. I didn't even know they had outlets, either...

Thanks- as for the coat we get around 10°C during the winter, indeed I'll just wear it with a fine knit below, nothing too warm ;)

kelice

Reaction score
Anyone tried these from LVR or a boutique? I want to finally grab a pair of ripped/destroyed type SLP denim and this light grey color really appeals to me - I think it would look good with every color of SLP boot including my reddish-orange santiags, and look great with an SLP black blazer + striped T.

Hi!
I got them from LVR. The pair I received was much less destroyed than on the picture. (knee rips were smaller, no rip under the right pocket, and in the back of the knee, no rips at all)

kindalonely

Reaction score

They are from FW14. Only SSENSE carried them as far as I was aware. But the sizing was wildly inconsistent with FW13. I have the original navy with golden buttons in 46, and the black in 44, and the 46 is a much closer fit. FW13 is 100% wool but FW14 is a wool blend, so the FW14 was cheaper.

youwhat

Reaction score
you mean the black with black buttons one was inconsistent?

navy with gold buttons is great fit. very tight.

the black buttoned one fits bad (imo)...very loose sleeves. just looks big all over (as in could be any brand).

think i saw the black buttoned one on a few sites. its for sale somewhere at the moment but cant remember where.

Last edited:

slann01

Reaction score
you mean the black with black buttons one was inconsistent?

navy with gold buttons is great fit. very tight.

the black buttoned one fits bad (imo)...very loose sleeves. just looks big all over (as in could be any brand).

think i saw the black buttoned one on a few sites. its for sale somewhere at the moment but cant remember where.
It's on sale on SSENSE at the moment, I got it only for 600 eur at the outlet. About the sizing, is definitely fucked up, usually I wear a 46-48 depending on the type of jacket/coat but in this case it's only a 44. About the fit, I think it fits great on me,the sleeves are perfect and doesn't look big, maybe it's just a bit long on the body since I'm only 1m.73cm. I'll probably post a fitpic later.

Last edited:

youwhat

Reaction score
yeah, nearly typed 'probably would have to size down at least 2'...but i'm 44 or sometimes 46 so impossible to try or imagine (what it might look like).

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the navy officer coat with gold buttons from AW13 but the 48 was too small for me causing it to pull a little at the chest when buttoned, and to wear it with knitwear underneath would have been impossible. The 50 was better but a little big in the upper body, and far too big in the body and waist. Shame as it's a really nice coat. The cropped wool black caban with the brass buttons fitted me perfectly from AW13 though - I wish I'd bought it as well, but didn't at the time because I was buying the basic caban from the runway show.

This medium length one was pretty nice too from AW13, and slipped by pretty much unnoticed. I don't think I saw it available anywhere:

What's the deal with the wool nylon blends? My understanding is that the nylon blends are technically superior in that they're better in wet conditions, but I can't help preferring 100% wool as it just feels different. The caban from look 1 that I've pre-ordered for AW15 is a wool nylon blend, but if I find out it's available in 100% wool I'll probably cancel my pre-order and find it elsewhere.

Prudy

Reaction score
I think generally nylon is blended with wool for warmth - it's essentially the difference between something like the wool duffle, which is not made for very cold temps, and the pea coat your talking about which is probably made for more winter climates.

As for what's better - it's all based on materials and construction IME. Nothing at all wrong with wool/nylon blends if the materials are all quality and they put it together right, but you might find that coat a tad warmer than an all-wool equivalent. I should also say that a 100% wool coat made with inferior wool will definitely be less desirable than a really well made nylon/wool blend coat.

Also, thickness might play a part - aka, you can get a warmer, thinner coat from a blend. In order to get a really warm wool coat that isn't cashmere, for example, it has to have some thickness to it.

My one pea coat from SLP is the poly/cotton blend coat I bought a few years back and I love it - I was worried about the 'poly' element when I bought it but in fact it is my daily, wear-all-the-time, in the rain, spring/fall/sometimes winter go-to jacket. It still looks great and hasn't lost a bit of it's shape.

I really like that pea coat above - I never saw that anywhere before you posted it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads