• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint Crispin's Shoes - Part Deux

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've appreciated Panzeraxe II's making available the Saint Crispin's catalog, and Mute's able help in getting it posted. Rather than tacking this onto the current Saint Crispin's thread, I wondered whether a new one might be in order--concentrating on these terrific shoes and what makes them unique.

Jcusey's excellent pinned RTW Shoes thread on AAAC says a little about this line, but what more do forumers know? Saint Crispin's shoes are often compared to Vass--both being made in Eastern Europe, etc., and both AFAIK containing a lot of hand work. If we exclude the Saint Crispin's bespoke side, can we get a discussion going around the following points re RTW and MTO? (I do realize that some of these points have been touched on in the current thread, Saint Crispin Catalog.)

How much hand work - and what steps, in particular, are done by hand;

Quality of leather and finishing;

Lasts and general style features;

How RTW and MTO work with Saint Crispin's - e.g., what's the turnaround time and additional cost of MTO?

Overall quality comparisons with other top brands;

And anything else.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here's my swag at this:

Handwork: I am not a shoe expert like some other members, but SC has indicated to me that the entire shoe is handmade. That implies to me that the product is fairly similar to Vass in terms of construction. As I mentioned earlier, SC does peg and fiddle the waist, which is something Vass does not do.

Lasts: For all practical purposes, SC has just one last: The Classic 107. Its a mildly pointier version of Green's 82 last. Vass offers a variety of lasts.

Leathers: Vass offers everything from basic brown to bordeaux cordovan. SC get's its hands on all sorts of stuff - from deer to crust French calfskin in all shades of brown to antelope.

Styling: SC is definitely more stylized than Vass. If I wanted to get a basic punched cap toe, for example, I would not buy the SC version.

MTO: Turnaround time is 8-10 weeks. SC is only MTO (like Gaziano) so there is no upcharge

Overall quality: SC compares very well to the EG, JL, C&J and Vass that I own. But again, I am not an expert at this so I probably don't pick up on a lot of things that other members notice.

Panzer

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I heard the price is around $1200 US

Montesquieu

Reaction score
I want to thank those of you who have posted on this and historical St. Crispin's threads. Your comments have inspired me to try to visit their local retailer in Frankfurt tomorrow on my way back to the States. Without these posts, I wouldn't have known about St. Crispin's or have perspective on what to buy.

That said, I've never seen them in person. Based on what I need, have learned, and have liked from the pictures and comments, I'm considering their whoelcut in a light- or mid-brown.

Wish me luck. The store needs to be open (it's August vacation time), my driving needs to be fast, and the sample shoes in stock need to inspire.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Report back on your findings, svp.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Report back on your findings, svp.

My report back is an unsuccessful one. I was foiled by German retail hours. Having forgotten that many stores still close at 3PM on Saturdays, I arrived by car from Luxembourg at around 4PM, only to find the store closed. I won't visit Frankfurt again any time soon, but Amsterdam will give me another shot in the next month or so. The anticipation will be the end of me.

If I succeed in the second attempt, I'll revive the thread.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
I won't visit Frankfurt again any time soon, but Amsterdam will give me another shot in the next month or so.

Where is the shop? I'll be in Frankfurt next month for work and I want to look and try them on.

Swann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Where is the shop? I'll be in Frankfurt next month for work and I want to look and try them on.
"Diehl & Diehl" is a five minute walk from the Alte Oper. The adress is Hochstr. 43 63313 Frankfurt. Phone 0049 (0) 69 29 57 35.

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swann
"Diehl & Diehl" is a five minute walk from the Alte Oper. The adress is Hochstr. 43 63313 Frankfurt. Phone 0049 (0) 69 29 57 35.

Very pleasant store. I went there to see some C&J shoes, which they didn't have and the nice lady there directed me to another shoe store nearby. At the time I was there (last summer, I think) they didn't speak a word of English.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Well, I ordered a pair a few days ago and was charged 690 euro's.

Did they add any unnecessary apostrophe's to the price, or were those free?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics