• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad-looking collar band question

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah - it was damn cooool. I was 7 or 8. My father used to put me on the LIRR train alone from Penn Station to return to my mother every other Sunday night. He would sit me up by the engineer so there would be someone to look after me. The engineer took a liking to me. He would sit me in his seat and tell me when to move the lever. And YES YES YES I got to pull the rope which blew the horn. Be Jealous.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And hey, FIH Cravattes - you can take the 'your age' and 'the photo' comments and @#%$.
smile.gif

uriahheep

Reaction score
bodyandsleeve10an.jpg
bodyandsleeve22lz.jpg
bodyandsleeve35yn.jpg
bodyandsleeve46ft.jpg
bodyandsleeve52ob.jpg
What are the pros and cons of, and reasons for using, each of the combinations of sleeve cap/armhole shown above?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uriahheep
What are the pros and cons of, and reasons for using, each of the combinations of sleeve cap/armhole shown above?
None of these has what I would term "pros" or "cons". Each has uses for fitting various shapes of people. What you have illustrated are generally considered women's patterns due to the shape of your sleeve cap. The first three are merely quantitative variations upon the same style. The fourth one down will work as long as the person is standing with arms down. As soon as the arms are lifted and brought forward, the sleeve will rip out of the armhole. Your very last image, unless you are showing the rear of a shirt, is non-functional. Although this is quite a rough drawing produced as a sales aid for stores selling M-T-M shirts (which they invariably term "custom"), the pattern pieces are correctly shaped for a man. The "custom" designation is incorrect insofar as what I consider to be custom.
ShirtPatt72_6p5h.jpg
P.S.: Uriahheep - still awaiting a response to my inquiry of your reasons for your previous post about my college days.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Re: your college days Just curious. You wrote about working as a DJ, being an artist/art instructor, shirtmaker, engineer...

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear AK:

Thank you for answering my query.

I guess it boils down to the way most shirts, even expensive and/or custom shirts, are not so well made -- at least in this area.

I get a lot of stuff second hand, and therefore encounter the garments of many makers in mid- or later life (the garments I mean), so I'm always curious as to how & why something wears well.

What I have as a curiousity, you have as an obsession, and we are all the better for it.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uriahheep
Re: your college days Just curious. You wrote about working as a DJ, being an artist/art instructor, shirtmaker, engineer...
Yeah - nobody has ever accused me of being able to make up my mind.
smile.gif

1Dgaf

Reaction score
Yeah - it was damn cooool. I was 7 or 8. My father used to put me on the LIRR train alone from Penn Station to return to my mother every other Sunday night. He would sit me up by the engineer so there would be someone to look after me. The engineer took a liking to me. He would sit me in his seat and tell me when to move the lever. And YES YES YES I got to pull the rope which blew the horn. Be Jealous.
I'd rather be pleased for you instead of jealous. Much more satisfying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads