• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moulton

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'll be looking forward to the new offerings.

By the way, weren't your trousers called narrow/taper as opposed to standard/proper a few years back? Are the standard and narrow trousers the same cut or different? I have a pair in the narrow and absolutely love the cut.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the response. I'll be looking forward to the new offerings.

By the way, weren't your trousers called narrow/taper as opposed to standard/proper a few years back? Are the standard and narrow trousers the same cut or different? I have a pair in the narrow and absolutely love the cut.

The narrow trousers are an older style, last part of our line-up two or more years ago, and which we have now discontinued. (Confusingly, we also had an old "standard trouser" style, which is not the same as today's "standard trouser".)

Our current trousers, standard and proper, are completely different to what went before. The standards have a similar leg-width to the old standards, but their construction and details are very different. The seams are heavier, a lot more work goes into the waistband and pockets, the rise is higher / more traditional, and they're a lot tidier to look at on the inside.

We hope to have a new narrow trouser by spring.

moulton

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that you are always trying to improve your already-great product.

dickenshero

Reaction score
Is anyone interested in purchasing one of the original Apex 10-ply sweaters in near perfect condition in a size large? I haven't really been able to wear it due to Atlanta not being cold enough. Send me a message we can talk about price.

Picture of which sweater I'm talking about

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good luck with that (never heard it called the "apex" sweater though).

Apropos of not very much at all -- apart from hey: it is nearly the end of the year, and we've begun developments now for early spring -- here is what we have made over the past few months.

Onwards now with things for the New Year.

Happy and mirthful festivities to one and all.

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello all

I know there are a fair few London-based SF-ers on here, so I'm flagging up a little event we're having with Vitsoe on Duke Street (in the shadow of Selfridges) next month.

It's a week-long affair, starting with an opening night on Thursday 4 February, to which you can RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/perennial-favourites-tickets-20752143219.

What's there? Lots of new garments -- things for spring, plus half of what we're currently developing for next autumn for our partners in Japan -- and me, and of course all the marvellous things made by Vitsoe.

Please -- drop by if you can.

Paul

Sam5p

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

Looking ahead to next Fall/Winter, I was wondering if you ever considered designing your own version of the classic tweed Norfolk or shooting jacket? I can imagine it would be fantastic.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I must admit that we haven't thought much about that one. Our centre of gravity is probably closer to the street, the everyday, than the countryside, so a Norfolk jacket is more of a stretch for us than, say, a peacoat or trench or car coat.

We currently have a topcoat in work (split-sleeve construction, a sort of relaxed quasi-formal design) and are mindful of developing a parka (which seems to me a gap of ours) as well as some redesigns of a few existing styles. Perhaps when we've sorted those, we'll move onto things further off our radar like the Norfolk jacket. I'd certainly never say never to that one, since it is surely a nice, meaty design challenge, which is what I enjoy thinking about most -- but having never really been drawn to them myself, on a personal level, it might be a way off yet.

Thanks for a great question.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Evening all

It has been rather busy here — developing and making and checking and packing things for our partners in Japan. But that's all done now, out of the way, so normal service is resumed with our workshop and website.

And lo — here are our first new things for a while, a couple of (cough, splutter) "mid-layers" (see http://sehkelly.com/of-middling-quality/).

A new work jacket, for starters:

And then there's an overshirt:

Both are made with a hopsack linen-cotton (or cotton-linen) from the north-west of England. It's a heavy workwear-type cloth, only with its linen content giving it a pleasing haphazard slubbiness.

Tip of the spring-time iceberg this, really. Between now and the end of spring, we hope to produce a steady stream of things of linen and cotton and linen-cotton.

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How-do good people of Styleforum

We recently overcame a period of profound procrastination and managed to photograph some of the new things we've made for that day of the year when the sun comes out.

We're working on a few other things, too -- linen coats, one or two things made with Ventile Ripstop -- and they're due to join the above next month.

Over and out.

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Afternoon all

Since neither of us here are convinced that summer is actually going to happen this year, we've shifted focus to autumn.

One of the new things we're working on is a possibly-more-ethical version of a mostly-angora cloth we made overshirts with last year. I've blathered on about it at some length at http://www.sehkelly.com/words/2016/06/fluffy-tale/.

We're making some work jackets with it -- a short, simple style, with four buttons, a stand collar, and almighty front pockets -- and, by the looks of things here at the factory today, they'll be ready by the time I've clicked "Submit."

Paul

Last edited:

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes please.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
That duffle coat though.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks.

I expect we will make a few more duffle coats this year. They were quite popular through winter just gone, and the way they're made -- with the inset front, raglan back -- has informed a few of our new coat and jacket developments this year.

Speaking of jackets ... the angora / merino work jackets I mentioned above, made with the cloud-soft cloth from south-west Wales, are now finished, and landed at http://sehkelly.com/shop/ this morning.

Paul

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads