• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wotcha Styleforummers

Here are a few more images of the knitwear adorning a real human being:

A few gents from here have emailed me about knitted things out of stock (the navy rollneck, mostly) and I will keep them posted as we endeavour to squeeze a few more things from the knitwear maker before winter kicks in.

We had also hoped to visit Mourne Textiles in Northern Ireland this week, but the journey was precluded by some protests yesterday morning at a popular London airport. Nonetheless, we have already made a topcoat and overshirt with one of their fine cloths -- a pure merino tweed, custom-spun in the ways of Donegal across the border -- and hope to begin a work jacket with another, next week.

Paul

Last edited:
Reaction score
This sounds interesting - will there be a new peacoat this winter? And will it be similar to the last one?

Just edited it - in my enthusiasm to join this forum something has gone amiss and this post has not linked itself with the recent query about the harris tweed....

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This sounds interesting - will there be a new peacoat this winter? And will it be similar to the last one?

Just edited it - in my enthusiasm to join this forum something has gone amiss and this post has not linked itself with the recent query about the harris tweed....

The peacoat we're working on will be quite a bit different to the one which went before.

On the face of it, it is longer, and looser fitting, and altogether more substantial. Perhaps closer to a "bridge coat" than a peacoat. It has a larger collar that's more of an Ulster shape.

Still, it will have all the same elements of the previous peacoat — the large patch pockets and the sideways pockets higher up. But all the pockets are lower down than previously so they're more comfortable for resting your arms.

We're using a very heavy dark navy woollen, for the first iteration of the new coat. I like the idea of using a plain-looking cloth (albeit with one lots of character) for the first instalment.

Does that answer your question (and the related one about Harris Tweed)?

chickenfark

Reaction score
Ordered the navy merino tweed topcoat this morning - I'm absurdly excited for it, and purchasing from Paul was like, the most pleasant buying experience I've ever had. Will be sure to post pictures of it here.

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ordered the navy merino tweed topcoat this morning - I'm absurdly excited for it, and purchasing from Paul was like, the most pleasant buying experience I've ever had. Will be sure to post pictures of it here.
That is quite a handsome coat! Wish there was an XS still available in the webstore :( looks like the black moleskin one got swiped as well.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The pleasure is all ours.

Here are a few more pictures of the thing being worn.

The cloth is excellent. A thick tweed indeed, but a very soft pure merino, and with more depth or colour (and variety, with all those flecks) than my photographs can ever do justice.

Reaction score
Thank you yes - look forward to seeing the first pictures.

Pleased to read about the pockets - as I get older being able to rest my hands in pockets while walking/talking/standing has gotten more and more important

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you yes - look forward to seeing the first pictures.

Pleased to read about the pockets - as I get older being able to rest my hands in pockets while walking/talking/standing has gotten more and more important

Yes, we try to place pockets in places that makes them as pleasing as possible to use.

Moving the resting pockets down a good amount in particular: I find them too high, most of the time, and often too shallow, so I was keen to get them right for the new peacoat.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Here are a couple of pictures of early prototypes of the new peacoat, by the way, from a few weeks back.

They're not terribly revealing, admittedly, particular of the pockets, but better than nothing.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Wish i could afford the tan coat :(

Its so beautiful..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of early prototypes of the new peacoat, by the way, from a few weeks back.

They're not terribly revealing, admittedly, particular of the pockets, but better than nothing.

Thank you for posting the pictures - really looking forward to seeing the final coat. I do like that collar! Isn't it interesting how details are so thought provoking? Simply thinking about the best place for pockets for hands to rest could be very thought inducing. Last year I nearly bought a Margaret Howell peacoat (the fit wasn't quite right) and I recall the pockets had the traditional corduroy lining and were slanted and on the hip which made them very comfortable - however this meant there were no additional lower pockets.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Morning all

A few years back, our peacoat seemed to catch a few folk's interest on here, and the past few months we've redeveloped it.

The new peacoat is now in the last few days of development, before production, and it looks like this ...

As you can see, we've given it a one-piece split-sleeve, postbox pockets, a big ol' Ulster collar, and a half cuff. It is longer than an average peacoat, and since we intend for it to fit easily over a suit or shirt / sweater combination, the shoulders are a little wider. The shoulder construction helps in this regard, too.

Couple of week away from completion.

Paul

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming in tomorrow hopefully will get to try the over-shirt.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Herringbone :inlove:

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Would like to say that I recently took shipment of the new roll neck in charcoal, and its truly an impressive knit. This is my second knit from SEH, and the quality is unbeatable at this price IMO. The neck is nice and taught, and the roll back cuffs are a great feature. The 6 ply is a nice thick weight, but something you could still wear indoors outside of the UK, and the ever so subtle variation in the greys in the wool gives it a great look. Very, very pleased, as per usual, would recommend to anyone living in a bit of a cooler climate. I'll try and post some fit pics later this year when its actually cold enough to wear it on a regular basis where I live.

Ps, anyone own a blanket? I've been thinking about picking one up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads