• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running Shoes

Do you use minimalist footwear?

• Yes

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters

jakeypotato

Reaction score
Asics Gel Kayano 18, IMO Nikes are just for aesthetics, not performance.

totolino85

Reaction score
depends, to me are the only shoes that don't make my knees hurts... I can't stand Mizuno and Asics, i've tried but I litteraly am not able to run in them ,they feel just weird to me
smile.gif

I guess is all about feeling, are probably all pretty good at the moment, tecnology wise I mean.

Reaction score
been using Asics nimbus model for close to ten years now, tried a pair of saucony four or five years ago, can't remember the model, but went back to Asics after only a few runs

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always had a severe over overpronation in my feet. Wore shoes with lots of support designed for feet like mine and have some custom orthotic insoles made by a foot doctor.

A couple years ago I got into Crossfit and bit into the minimalist hype. The theory that your feet and ankles are weak from all the support provided in modern shoes and that going "minimalist" will allow for you to get stronger in these areas and overcome the overpronation. After some time I started developing bad ankle and knee pains. Tried to work through them in my workouts, but eventually it all got too severe and I wasn't able to workout as much anymore.

Around this point I made an appointment with a good foot-doctor. After explaining my situation to him and some x-rays, he informed me that I was quickly going down the road a bad injury. I had fucked my knees and ankles up. Bone structure is bone structure and if you overpronate badly like I do, you need added support. No amount of strength building in your feet will fix this.

Now i'm back to running in my "tanks" and insoles. I'm also doing several regular stretches that the doctor showed me. It's helped immensely with the pain even if I still get it on occasion like I was warned would happen. I'd like to get back into long distance running and do another marathon like I did years ago, but it's something that I may not be able to do as easily as I would have before experimenting with those minimalist shoes.

So what I am really saying here is go to a good foot store or a foot doctor. Have them watch you run and determine your individual needs . Wear shoes designed for your feet, not because they happen to be the latest fitness fad. Your body will be better for it.

EDIT: That's not to say that minimalist shoes don't work well for some. They do.

Last edited:

adsmith4

Reaction score
depends, to me are the only shoes that don't make my knees hurts... I can't stand Mizuno and Asics, i've tried but I litteraly am not able to run in them ,they feel just weird to me
smile.gif

I guess is all about feeling, are probably all pretty good at the moment, tecnology wise I mean.

Have you ever tried Brooks? I run in their Ghost model and they are by far the best shoes I have ever run in. I have tried Nike, Asics and Pearl Izumi. Brooks is strictly about running, they only make shoes for that purpose.

totolino85

Reaction score
Have you ever tried Brooks? I run in their Ghost model and they are by far the best shoes I have ever run in. I have tried Nike, Asics and Pearl Izumi. Brooks is strictly about running, they only make shoes for that purpose.
I actually always liked their "style" badly said, they look very appealing ,I also red very nice things about them ... Just in Italy are very difficoult to find and where you can they cost 170 euro...
I'd buy them online but not having any idea wich model to go for and the size is bit of a risk...

I'm stuck with Nike because I like their flexibility and softness, they also somehow manage to last longer despite logic would say the opposite... are f****ing expencive in shops but I always seem to find either the lunar eclypse or the pegasus for around 50 euro somewhere on the net!

If I'll ever find them in some shop in sale I'll give brooks a shot anyway!

realkingo

Reaction score
Nike Free Run.
My last two shoes were Asics Gel Kayano, but I have noticed that all the cushioning has weakend my feet, which I notive when wearing no running shoes.
Having low arches and overpronation, running barefooted is probably the best solution. I chose the second best.
Lets see how it works out...

belizblitz

Reaction score
i use new balance minimus, no problems so far. Previously used Asics gel foundation because of my flat feet. They did not work out good for me and I ended up getting injured and did not enjoy my runs

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When buying a new pair of running shoes, is a "professional's" opinion needed (i.e. test run it in the store under "supervision") or is the "feels good -> is good" approach fine?

Last edited:

Oksu

Reaction score

When buying a new pair of running shoes, is a "professional's" opinion needed (i.e. test run it in the store under "supervision") or is the "feels good -> is good" approach fine?
if it's your first pair, it helps to have someone analyze your gait and show you a few pairs that fit the way you run. Most people overpronate and many supinate when they run. Once you know how you move, you can buy the next pair on your own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads