• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rules of attired

Ruprecht

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anthony Jordan
I think that Ruppretch is writing according to British usage, in which your vest is what you wear under your shirt if you are prone to the cold, or your mother makes you. In this usage the sleeveless garment worn under the jacket is a waistcoat (except to a few Savile Row tailors, who prefer the old usage of "vest"). I read Rupprecht as cautioning us against wearing string vests, which is perhaps not bad advice...

That's right - I mean a string vest.

As for the cigars - I mean the Cuban variety.

TomW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
How, can one possibly make that error? It's like saying that when I say waistcoat I actually mean shoes.

Jon.

it's no error. In most of the English speaking world (ie. not the USA) an undershirt is a vest, and a vest is a waistcoat (or westkit)

Ruprecht

Reaction score
A string vest, as modelled by Rab C Nesbitt.

rabcnesbitt_1.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TomW
it's no error. In most of the English speaking world (ie. not the USA) an undershirt is a vest, and a vest is a waistcoat (or westkit)

Huh?

I've seen clothing catalogues from England that clearly use the term vest to describe a waistcoat, and not an undergarment.

Jon.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Huh?

I've seen clothing catalogues from England that clearly use the term vest to describe a waistcoat, and not an undergarment.

Jon.

I would be very interested if you could give an example? This is very old usage and it would be interesting to know where, in British usage, it has survived.

Anthony.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ruprecht
A string vest, as modelled by Rab C Nesbitt.

rabcnesbitt_1.jpg

eek.gif

Well here's one rule we probably agree on...

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your honor, if I may be permitted to withdraw my objection the rule outlawing string vests. [sits down].

Jetta

Reaction score
As for usage of the English language, you have to remember that people in different parts of England typically have no idea what the other is saying. I have seen people from different parts of London argue over the usage of a word, both positive the word ment something entirely different, and these were people from the same city.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not much for rules; rather, I prefer generalized guidelines. That being said:

Originally Posted by Ruprecht
I'd like to start a thread of rules about dress that each member could add to.

I'll kick off -

1. Never wear shoes lighter (in colour) than a Romeo y Julieta churchill cigar.

I break this one all the time. Not in a formal, serious business situation, mind you, but at other times I love the look of light shoes.

2. Never unbutton your jacket cuffs unless a. you're washing hands between operations or b. you want to look like a "merchant banker" (note for the septic tanks - I'm using rhyming slang).
Not an issue for me.

3. Never wear a string tie, or vest.

Please share your thoughts.
In light of the picture presented, I'll give you this one in spades. (And I was eating lunch when viewing this....
wow.gif
)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only one rule that I follow (almost) religiously. It's not a rule of dress necessarily, but it's related to clothing:

Never pay full retail.

Actually, I like to consider it a guideline more than a rule.

Other than that, I think rules suck and we can do a lot better with less of them. In fact, if there were less rules, I could be doing out on the town instead of at home studying for the bar exam. Damn rules!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jetta
As for usage of the English language, you have to remember that people in different parts of England typically have no idea what the other is saying. I have seen people from different parts of London argue over the usage of a word, both positive the word ment something entirely different, and these were people from the same city.

Well then, I can hardly be blamed from the other side of the pond.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads