• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugby by Ralph Lauren Discussion

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarrisonK
I respectfully disagree with you, sir. As I mentioned earlier all I know is Rugby fall 2010 line and their new s/s 2011 line. From what I can see not all of their clothing i overly branded, actually, very few of their pieces are. The pieces that are overly branded people tend to stay away from.

Also, scruffy prep, why/how is that 'played out'? I think you have a common misconception of what prep is. Prep is a style given to people that go to prep schools, especially boarding schools and some colleges, such as Hampden-Sydney. These people must dress is the dress code given by the school, which is what ultimately makes them preppy. How can scruffy prep ever be played out? Think about it like this, people who go to prep schools and have longer hair and scruffy facial hair are not played out, its just their style.

I appreciate you trying to explain to me your thoughts about the brand, that is the purpose of this thread.

Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
grwnK.jpg

mystillwater

Reaction score
i've always had luck with Rugby... mostly shirts. very slim fitting with longer than avarage arms in the smaller sizes. just like you would with any brand, you'll have to pick and choose because not everything they make is quality or tasteful. would like to try some of their pants but fear they may be too slim for me.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just from walking around in the store, their stuff seemed fine. But do their sweaters pill like crazy? If so, then half of their **** is worthless.

Also, isn't their modus operandi "kinda like RL, but 100% made in china"

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i got a non obnoxious navy and white broad stripped rugby as a gift last year. sometimes rock it for layering since its thick but doesnt get much play

i have a few of their polos though. the ones with really small skull and crossbones go on sale for 9.99 most of the time and are slim fitting

PS: everything at rugby goes on sale eventually so its a decent buy during those times

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont get why everyone says rugby oxfords fit slim, i bought a size small, fits nice in the chest, but the waist and arms are billowy as hell. box pleat on the back doesn't help, and the sleeves also have like three pleats on the cuff.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
i dont get why everyone says rugby oxfords fit slim, i bought a size small, fits nice in the chest, but the waist and arms are billowy as hell. box pleat on the back doesn't help, and the sleeves also have like three pleats on the cuff.

i think peeps say its slim in comparison to similar "mall" brands such as br, jcrew, polo, gap, etc.

not sf approved slim like boo, wvg, epaulet lol

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Just from walking around in the store, their stuff seemed fine. But do their sweaters pill like crazy? If so, then half of their **** is worthless.

Also, isn't their modus operandi "kinda like RL, but 100% made in china"

No, not really. Not sure why you just made that up.

And they use lambswool for most of their sweaters, so yes they pill after about one season's worth of use. I did get a shawl collar crew neck and a shawl cardigan from last year that both got used pretty heavily, and for whatever reason, the cardigan pilled a lot faster. They do make cotton sweaters which are ok. Also read on aaac that the shaggy dogs they put out this year pilled like crazy, which isn't that surprising considering what it is.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
No, not really. Not sure why you just made that up.

And they use lambswool for most of their sweaters, so yes they pill after about one season's worth of use. I did get a shawl collar crew neck and a shawl cardigan from last year that both got used pretty heavily, and for whatever reason, the cardigan pilled a lot faster. They do make cotton sweaters which are ok. Also read on aaac that the shaggy dogs they put out this year pilled like crazy, which isn't that surprising considering what it is.

Agreed. It is the nature of the material they use to pill.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
they "fit you well"? just like that cardigan you posted? no.

Go back and quote what I said.

The oxfords fit me very well. Maybe not perfectly but I have yet to find something that fits me perfectly because I have a very difficult body to fit. I am 6'0 and 135lbs.

The cardigan fits me pretty well, not the best, but other cardigans that fit me better are 3 times the price and I ca not justify spending $300+ on a cardigan granted I am in college and do not have that much money to spend on clothing.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
maybe the problem here is that you're 6'0 and 135?

and their quality for the most part is garbage at that price range. Wear one of your oxfords and lift your arms up. I bet you have some semblance of bat wings. Trust me. I'm positive they dont fit you well (because 'rugged prep' isn't marketed towards your *ahem* body type)

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
maybe the problem here is that you're 6'0 and 135?

and their quality for the most part is garbage at that price range. Wear one of your oxfords and lift your arms up. I bet you have some semblance of bat wings. Trust me. I'm positive they dont fit you well (because 'rugged prep' isn't marketed towards your *ahem* body type)

No ****. Of course thats the problem.

I'm a competitive cyclist (top 150 in the nation) and I've been burning an average of 5,000 calories a day for the past four years. It is next to impossible for me to consume enough food to gain weight. Therefore, I will continue to be skinny and try to find clothes that fit and aren't ridiculously expensive.

If you have any other comments about my '*ahem* body type' feel free to PM me, but there is no reason to bring personal issues into a discussion thread not designated for body types, rather, for clothes.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rugby is not a bad brand, but on a serious note - get over yourself, a lot of people here are tall and skinny (myself excluded), you are not a special flower.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even most Abercrombie stuff looks better than this Rugby ****. Do think Mike Jeffries would look good in Rugby?

polo-ralph-lauren-rugby.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads