• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugby by Ralph Lauren Discussion

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Rugby by Ralph Lauren has captured the edgy, prep look brilliantly. Not only have they captured the look perfectly, but they have a lot of 'fits' which make it a pleasure for thinner people to shop.

I have always had trouble finding pants in a 28W 32L but just about every Rugby pant is made in that size, they also run slightly tighter so thinner people do not look like they are wearing very baggy pants.

Rugby does a great job in their shirts/sweaters as well. I personally love the fit of their classic oxford shirts and I love all their shawl collar sweater/cardigans.

What do all of you think of Rugby by Ralph Lauren?

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2wqvb5u.gif

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
2wqvb5u.gif

this really needs to be added to the list of smilies. I mean MC has the
foo.gif
, SW&D needs its own.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ you guys are pricks. Half of you guys are buying **** from LEC, J Crew, and Red Wings, so get over yourselves.

To OP - Rugby isn't as bad as they used to be, but they're a bit gimmicky. The collegiate look is a bit too precious, though they have some pieces that are much more toned down and wearable. This season, for example, they basically carried the poor man's version of the J Press brushed shetland sweater, which I thought was decent. Generally, however, you're not going to get a lot of love here for Rugby because it's preciously prep.

If you like the stuff, then you should wear it. I would advise that you just stay away from the more gimmicky overly designed stuff, as you'll fall out of favor with it in a few years. I'm sure they have OCBDs that are fine, and even some sweaters, but some of the pieces with big rugby numbers, collegiate stripes, and random patches are the white version of FUBU.

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
I like their cardigan sweaters, but they are overpriced at retail price. All their stuff usually goes on pretty good discount. I picked up couple sweaters this season for about 30-40%. Also, if you have a student ID, I think its 15% off your purchase. Also, their stuff fits a lot better than jcrew for me.

tooshay

Reaction score
This, to me, looks like a RL Rugby marketing employee being sent out on a mission to see what the internets are thinking about them. Call me a conspiracy theorist.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooshay
This, to me, looks like a RL Rugby marketing employee being sent out on a mission to see what the internets are thinking about them. Call me a conspiracy theorist.

LOL
lol8[1].gif

Actually, I'm just a college student who was just introduced to Rugby earlier this year. I've never been able to find clothes (like some of Rugby's line) that fits me correctly so now that I realize Rugby has a lot of different options for me, I do just about all of my shopping there.

And about the employee, I have applied to two Rugby for this coming semester/summer work. The Georgetown Rugby (since I go to school in DC) and the brand new Short Hills Rugby in NJ.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's great that it fits you, but most people here would consider Rugby's designs are just too aggressive for it's cachet/price point. That sounds elitist, but when you consider that money that goes into branding takes away from stuff that could go into into things that matter more, like quality, especially at that price point--it makes sense that most people stay away from **** that's aggressively designed/branded (e.g. Express)

Also, scruffy prep is played out. Don't regurgitate ad copy--think for yourself.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like rugby, much more than other large brands like jcrew or club monaco. They did tone down the branding this year fortunately with a lot more items that are logo less. I did notice a fairly noticeable drop in quality however, either to increase margins or because of higher resource costs. Either way, their wool sweaters pill like crazy and their coats seem much thinner and flimsier than before. Good source still for slim button downs and polos.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
It's great that it fits you, but most people here would consider Rugby's designs are just too aggressive for it's cachet/price point. That sounds elitist, but when you consider that money that goes into branding takes away from stuff that could go into into things that matter more, like quality, especially at that price point--it makes sense that most people stay away from **** that's aggressively designed/branded (e.g. Express)

Also, scruffy prep is played out. Don't regurgitate ad copy--think for yourself.

I respectfully disagree with you, sir. As I mentioned earlier all I know is Rugby fall 2010 line and their new s/s 2011 line. From what I can see not all of their clothing i overly branded, actually, very few of their pieces are. The pieces that are overly branded people tend to stay away from.

Also, scruffy prep, why/how is that 'played out'? I think you have a common misconception of what prep is. Prep is a style given to people that go to prep schools, especially boarding schools and some colleges, such as Hampden-Sydney. These people must dress is the dress code given by the school, which is what ultimately makes them preppy. How can scruffy prep ever be played out? Think about it like this, people who go to prep schools and have longer hair and scruffy facial hair are not played out, its just their style.

I appreciate you trying to explain to me your thoughts about the brand, that is the purpose of this thread.

Cacatfish

Reaction score
I like their more plain stuff, but the prices are pretty steep.
I picked up a striped, wool flannel blazer on ebay at about 80% off.
Cant complain at that price and the fit is quite slim. Made in italy also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads