• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maitiu

Reaction score
Well heck, I didn't know there was a Role Club thread here. Anyhow, I got my first work done on my Limited Edition Red Wing Heritage Iron Rangers in Ebony Harness leather re-soled by the master himself. His craftsmanship is stunning. I will be sending a couple more pairs to him very soon. Just beautiful work.

PZXxvlPu_o.jpg

XXdRHKWw_o.jpg

Oyrl9lKk_o.jpg

ZYAyuHvF_o.jpg

fbPNuYOl_o.jpg

Randelpink

Reaction score
He’s a very humble guy, shop is old school minimalist. In fact, you’re gonna be surprised at how lax it seems there.

Jpto

Reaction score
Hi all, not sure if people are interested so I'll take this down if anyone thinks FS posts shouldn't clutter this thread

I'm selling two pair of Role Club boots. The only reason I'm selling is that I realize I'm a boot hoarder and need to declutter my life. Both boots are the 722 RC last. Prices are in USD and include shipping to the US and CA - international shipping is possible at additional cost.

Fit is similar to a 9.5 Viberg and I have included comparison photos to a relatively new 1035 boot. I'm a 10E Brannock with a high instep.

Boot #1 - Chukka

• Maker/Model: Role Club Chukka, Black Horsehide, soft toe, low block heel

• Size: No marked size - similar to 9.5 Viberg

• Leather: Black Horsehide

• Sole: Role Club - Black half sole

• Price: $750 USD

• Wears/Condition: Worn once outside

• Notes: Worn once outside - some marks/scarring on horsehide on the left boot - see details in pics - otherwise almost new

Boot #2 - Townsman boot - Shell Cordovan

• Maker/Model: Role Club Townsman, Black Shell Cordovan, structured toe, low block heel

• Size: No marked size - similar to 9.5 Viberg

• Leather: Black Shell Cordovan (Italian Shell - I think Rocodo based on the stamp - see pics)

• Sole: Role Club - Black full sole

• Price: $1350 USD

• Wears/Condition: Worn as part of a large rotation for about a year

• Notes: Worn as part of a large rotation for about a year before the pandemic, hardly worn since

DG123

Reaction score
I've watched a couple of Brian the Bootmaker videos and he seems to remove the old cork mid sole and metal shank, replacing same with a piece of leather. Is a leather midsole preferable to a cork one ? Isn't the shank vital to the way the boot holds its shape and , or , over time supports the foot ?

JDAYE15

Reaction score
I
I've watched a couple of Brian the Bootmaker videos and he seems to remove the old cork mid sole and metal shank, replacing same with a piece of leather. Is a leather midsole preferable to a cork one ? Isn't the shank vital to the way the boot holds its shape and , or , over time supports the foot ?
Believe he puts the original or a new shank in. He usually uses two brass pins for the shank. Brian said before he puts leather for the midsole for two reasons. Cork erodes away/moves up and down the midsole and causes space between the foot bed and the sole where as leather won't. Also that when he takes apart very very old shoes. There was a leather Midsole. So his thinking was "If these boots have a leather midsole and they are this old as in this great condition why shouldn't I" I'm not pro by anymeans but I believe he has stated that before. And the shank is to help with the structure of the shoe so it does twist and or flex etc. Anyone feel free to elaborate and or explain more!

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the shank, it's been too long since I watched his videos.

But as for the cork, you're talking about filler, not midsole. Leather should allow for a more even footbed, because as JDAYE15 says, it won't break up and move around.

DG123

Reaction score
I don't know about the shank, it's been too long since I watched his videos.

But as for the cork, you're talking about filler, not midsole. Leather should allow for a more even footbed, because as JDAYE15 says, it won't break up and move around.

Cork fills the mid sole, correct ?
Regardless, I think what I saw from the resole videos is that Brian removes the cork filler (as well as the shank that is positioned within the cork) and replaces same with a piece of finished leather.
I can understand how some might perceive that a leather filler is more stable over time than cork. Personally I think cork is often used because it is reasonably stable but also provide some cushioning/comfort, but I am not certain that is the reason cork is commonly used.
As for the metal shank, I have no idea why Brian (or other repair person) would remove a shank and not replace it.

DG123

Reaction score
I

Believe he puts the original or a new shank in. He usually uses two brass pins for the shank.

OK, I only watched two of his resole videos and it appeared to me that he replaced cork with leather but did not replace shank and, or, use any sort of new shank. But I could have missed it and will look closer next time I view his videos.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cork fills the mid sole, correct ?
No. I suppose that sounds sort of right if you don't know what an actual midsole is, but it's a different thing altogether. Cork fills the cavity between the insole and midsole (or outsole, if there is no midsole).
I can understand how some might perceive that a leather filler is more stable over time than cork. Personally I think cork is often used because it is reasonably stable but also provide some cushioning/comfort, but I am not certain that is the reason cork is commonly used.
I'm not certain either, but I suspect it's got more to do with cost and tradition.

I am certain that my welted footwear, all of which use cork paste filler, have distinctly less comfortable foot beds than my other types of footwear (stitchdown and moccasins). I haven't tried shoes with leather filler, but I've heard from enough makers that it's better, and their word is "good enough for me" until I experience otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads