• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

List of Bespoke/MTO bootmakers? (Looking for one on the East Coast)

thenextep

Reaction score
Hey peeps. First time over here at SF, but the good people at Reddit thought some here might have some more info for me. I did some basic searching but still came up with nothing addressing exactly my question. Also, I posted this same thread in the "Menswear Advice" area, but after two days of nothing I thought I would try here too.

I've been on a serious boot hunt for well over a month now and cannot seem to find exactly what I want, so I have been thinking about having a boot designed for me. I like the styles from Truman, Viberg, Oak Street Boots, and even White's Semi-Dress, but what I want is to be able to have a custom-designed toe cap something like a mix between an austere brogue and what Wolverine did on their small-batch run of LTD 721's). Of course, I have contacted especially Truman, White's, Dayton, Wesco, even Santalum in Indonesia, and unfortunately these MTO outfits all have a standard set of options that they don't really deviate from, so they can't/won't custom-cut a design of my own for the toe cap.
I was recently pointed in the direction of Brian at Role Club in LA, but I live on the east coast, and I would really prefer to be able to sit down with someone before I invest upwards of 1k+ on a pair of boots I hope to have for a lifetime. The same with Julian boots - they look great, but he's still in LA. I have found it incredibly difficult to find much on bespoke bootmakers - particularly for that market that wants a more casual boot than what someone like John Lobb typically offers. I figure, living close to NYC as I do, surely there's someone in the vain of Brian/Role Club around, right?
Another thing is that I would really like to keep the cost at or under $1k. I know this might be just asking too much, but I also don't need them to be bespoke. Really, I just want a pretty standard service-type/semi-dress boot that's a casual cross-over.

In any event, what I'm really looking for is if anyone knows of someone on the East Coast, particularly around NYC, who might be able to do such a thing. Am I missing something, or is the market too small for the casual-workwear styling to sustain bespoke makers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads