• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PSG
You seem to have a lot of cashmere socks. May I ask how you care for them?
I can't imagine taking the time to hand launder and line dry socks. (I do mine on super delicate in the washing machine and tumble dry on air only setting.) Because I've become so fussy about it my better half will no longer wash my socks for me. :cry:
I've been reluctant to try cashmere - but your socks always look so stellar I'm thinking of taking the plunge.

I wash everything in cold water and always wash my socks with my shirts so that they don't pick up excess lint from things like towels. I then just lay them on top of the dryer and they seem to dry fairly quickly.

I never buy 100% cashmere. As luxurious as they are, they fall apart in no time. I think Marcoliani cashmere blend socks are the best IMO. Better than Pantherella for durability and fit. I have no idea why because the blend of cashmere and nylon seems to be about the same.

I live in California so I only wear cashmere socks for a few months of the year. I have a lot of socks and rotate them. All of that helps them to last a long time.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those shoes looks nothing like the do when they come from C&J. This color is so much richer and nicer, i think you should send some pics to CJ factory so they can copy your work :slayer:

Thanks guys,

I agree that C&J benchgrade finishes are pretty meh. Although the leather takes polish beautifully, looks better with every wear, and holds up well. So I'm happy to play around with them to improve the finish. If I had this pair to do over again I would have applied only 3 coats of cream polish instead of 6. But in the long run it's all going to work out just fine.

I also have a new pair of C&J Mertons in the same color/finish. I'm taking a different approach to them for comparison sake. Once the weather starts to warm up I'll post some pics of those.

Perhaps if you are REALLY nice to me I'll disclose my 'secret' formula' once I'm sure I actually have one that works! :embar:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wash everything in cold water and always wash my socks with my shirts so that they don't pick up excess lint from things like towels. I then just lay them on top of the dryer and they seem to dry fairly quickly.
I never buy 100% cashmere. As luxurious as it is they fall apart in no time. I think Marcoliani cashmere blend socks are the best IMO. Better than Pantherella for durability and fit. I have no idea why because the blend of cashmere and nylon seems to be about the same.
I live in California so I only wear cashmere socks for a few months of the year. I have a lot of socks and rotate them. All of that helps them to last a long time.

Thanks,

Sounds like my methods would work as well then. I think I'll give them a try! The pics you post of your cashmere socks always come off as especially elegant.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me Today:
Shoes: C&J Drummonds in Beechnut with Gdot custom patina. (Third wearing - starting to come along nicely)
Socks: Pantherella (there is a small pattern up the sides - doesn't show in photos - I hate socks without a little pattern.)
Trou: Pantas, they are.

Very nice, do you wear the same size on these as your Finsbury?

malat

Reaction score
Shoe: Gravati MTO - color "black cherry" - ordered last Spring, delivered in Dec.
Sock: RL cashmere blend
Pant: J Crew, charcoal windowpane

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice, do you wear the same size on these as your Finsbury?

Yep. The Finsbury (on the 341) was just a smidge snug in the toes in comparison to the 348 last for the Drummonds. But after a couple of wearings all was good.

Bear in mind my foot runs a little on the narrow side - if you run a little wide the 341 on the Finsbury MIGHT be a little snug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads