• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silent Speaker

Reaction score
Perhaps because it darkens leather....?

What are you getting at? If there's some other maybe damaging effects please let us know!

richardwallace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Since I'm going MTO for this anyway, should I go ahead and get the boots lined?
fully lined is nicer. i can't think of any reason not to get them fully lined. probably the only reason they don't normally fully line the work boots is to cut costs.

acularw

Reaction score
What are some of the lower cost online shops that carry RM Williams boots? I know about the following:

Nungar
Boots Online
Aussie Bush Hats

I swear I found another site a week or two ago with prices in the $250-range (USD), is there some site that I am missing?

Also, does anyone have any comments on how the Craftsman (or CC) fits with slim chinos or trousers (i.e. 7.5-8" hem)?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by richardwallace
take a look at the vesta leather. i think the yearling leather (standard on turnout) is too dressy for casual and greasy kip leather (standard on gardener/yard) is too utilitarian looking. vesta is water resistant.

i'd recommend:

comfort turnout in brown vesta (you can also get black vesta)

vestaturnout-1.jpg

or gardener/yard boot in vesta, but only if you need the extra grip. if you got this MTO, you could probably get the standard gardener/yard boot sole with a leather heel. it would look a lot better than the standard rubber heel.

i have the yard boot in distressed black:
distressedside.jpg

distressedsole.jpg

distressed black = nice!

Rankiz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tylerjbritt
Does Steve at Nungar still offer the MTO Forum Special?

I also want to know this, please, someone must know...

I sent emails to both Bootsonline and Nungar regarding some questions, and only got answer from bootsonline. Gone 5 days now and I've even sent a new email to Nungar trading, but they are not responding. Not very good first impression of their trustworthiness.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rankiz
I also want to know this, please, someone must know...

I sent emails to both Bootsonline and Nungar regarding some questions, and only got answer from bootsonline. Gone 5 days now and I've even sent a new email to Nungar trading, but they are not responding. Not very good first impression of their trustworthiness.

nungar never responded to my email so i ended up buying from bootsonline

Rankiz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
nungar never responded to my email so i ended up buying from bootsonline

If I send an email to a internetstore and get no reply, I usually ens up buying the ware somewhere else. Bootsonline and Nungar prices are nearly the same, so you'll end up buying from the one with best customer support.
biggrin.gif

Rankiz

Reaction score
I have tried the RM Williams Craftsman today and want to buy it online. Problem is that I really want it with rubber sole, since we have up to around minus 10 celsius here and snowy weather. I can't seem to buy rubber soled RM williams online, but they had them with rubber sole the store near me. I don't think the store have layed rubber sole themselves on all the RM williams shoes so... Bootsonline can get me RM williams with rubber sole without much hassle?

Btw, black kangaroo or black calf?

jules

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rankiz
I have tried the RM Williams Craftsman today and want to buy it online. Problem is that I really want it with rubber sole, since we have up to around minus 10 celsius here and snowy weather. I can't seem to buy rubber soled RM williams online, but they had them with rubber sole the store near me. I don't think the store have layed rubber sole themselves on all the RM williams shoes so... Bootsonline can get me RM williams with rubber sole without much hassle?

Btw, black kangaroo or black calf?

Hi Rankiz, kangaroo or calf , tricky one, I just bought the stockman buckle boot in black calf leather it has a great finish and looks great ,but i only decided on the calf as the shop only had calf leather in stock, so i don't know which i'd choose if i had had the choice. I have bought boots from Barry at bootsonline in the past and the service was great, very friendlyand he even rang me at home in the UK to make sure the payment details were correct. I'd recommend him.
smile.gif

Rankiz

Reaction score
Ye, Bootsonline do atleast answer emails. Weeks gone and no answer from Nungar Trading. RM williams cost half the price if I buy from Australia, but on bootsonline I can not seem to find rubber sole boots. I mean, I live in Norway(cold) and it would be nice to have rubber soles. Is this something I can just get a shoemaker to lay on top of the leather(but this can make the leahter sole rat) or does RM williams Craftsman ACTUALLY come with rubber sole also?

Because the RM williams shoes in the store had rubber soles.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
I have been reading through this huge thread but haven't been able to find a clear answer - do any Canadians have experience ordering from bootsonline.com? What is the story re: customs / duties?

Thanks in advance.

Silent Speaker

Reaction score
Rankiz: Does not the 'Comfort Craftsman' have a 'rubber' sole? Or are you looking for some other kind of material? http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b543N.htm If you don't wan't the new fangled insole material, do as the site says and select the 'Blaxand' ordinary insole from the drop-down options. Is this sole sufficient for inuslation from the cold? I honestly cannot say as the two countries I live in never get as cold as Norway :p There are other sole options, but such combinations might be made to order and thus take a few weeks, but, they might stand up better in your nordic winters. Perhaps, if you are looking for a 'winter boot', have a look at the Lachlan: http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b578.htm It's got the Craftsman's chiesel toe, but a different leather (which is apparently more waterproof) and soles that might just be better for walking on icey streets (all those treads must contribute something, right?). I don't know, snow being as strange to me as sleet or even hail really. You'll be the better judge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads