• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
The reason the AE is so snug is because they run quite narrow compared to RMW boots. Again, the softer more compliant leather of the RMW makes them feel roomier. I too find a 8D in lasts other than the AE Nr 5 feel almost too short and really snug - just like you. If I then compare an RMW 7G with it, I find it feels longer and wider even though the measurements tell me that AEs are longer. I can only explain this by saying the RMW leathers are softer and thinner plus the extra width stops the toe box from getting cramp - giving the illusion of being longer. I strongly suggest that you go for an RMW 9F if you are going for size 9s. It will still be considerably roomier than a 9.5D in the Byron because it will be a lot wider. I am very seriously beginning to think that the best recommendation is RMW 8F for someone who wears AE Byrons in 9D - especially when you order in veal calf or kangaroo. I will rewrite my sizing recommendations to make it simpler - when I have time. At the moment it looks like madness - sorry. Though as you can see, the basic recommendation of AE size minus one basically works for most people anyway. I just want to tweek things to get it even more precise.
No need to apologize...you're doing us a favor by offering your insight and advice! I see options of H or G in the Kangaroo Craftsman no F. So basically I would have to get the Craftsman in the Yearling version. That lessens my interest in the RM Williams boots b/c I'm after something very durable. Also, I'm just looking at 9s b/c of what I read in this thread. From the example you gave should I perhaps look at an 8.5F?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
No need to apologize...you're doing us a favor by offering your insight and advice!

I see options of H or G in the Kangaroo Craftsman no F. So basically I would have to get the Craftsman in the yearling version. That lessens my interest in the RM Williams boots b/c I'm after something very durable.

Also, I'm just looking at 9s b/c of what I read in this thread. From the example you gave should I perhaps look at an 8.5F?

Yearling leather is actually quite nice as well as being great value. I own two pairs in different colours and they are great. Yearling leather is scarcely inferior to the leathers used by AE for their shoes and more durable than French veal calf. It is finer grained than the kangaroo leather. Kangaroo is the toughest leather weight for weight in the world, but it looks more rugged. You can always custom order an F width kangaroo or veal calf Craftsman.

If you wear 9.5D in a Byron then:
- 9F will be a bit loose and a 9E in the Turnout model would fit better
- 8.5F will fit best in the Craftsman
- 8D following RMWs recommendations will be quite a reasonable fit - as you can tell from guys who have broughts using the standard RMW conversion to US size shows (just less than absolutely ideally snug perhaps but comfortable).

All in all following RMWs basic guide may still be the safest as it involves the least fiddling around with lengths and widths. Seriously we are sweating over whether the boots might be 1/16'' narrower or longer for a better fit over the internet here!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dsc020632do.jpg
They are size 7G (medium width) and I wear 8D in AE Park Aves. Would a pair of 7F Craftsmans be an even snugger fit (Park Aves in size 8D are very snug on me)? Yes. Would that be preferable? Again - yes. But I got the 7G pair on sale and they didn't have a pair in 7F, yet the 7Gs are still very comfortable. As I say we are sweating over very fine detail here - very fine.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sator, do you have experience with the so-called Comfort Craftsman, with the poron insole and welted rubber outsole?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Sator, do you have experience with the so-called Comfort Craftsman, with the poron insole and welted rubber outsole?

I've seen them in person but have never owned a pair. New South Wales is in drought so I rarely need rubber soled boots. They look well made if a wet weather boot is what you are after.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Yearling leather is actually quite nice as well as being great value. I own two pairs in different colours and they are great. Yearling leather is scarcely inferior to the leathers used by AE for their shoes and more durable than French veal calf. It is finer grained than the kangaroo leather. Kangaroo is the toughest leather weight for weight in the world, but it looks more rugged. You can always custom order an F width kangaroo or veal calf Craftsman.

If you wear 9.5D in a Byron then:
- 9F will be a bit loose and a 9E in the Turnout model would fit better
- 8.5F will fit best in the Craftsman
- 8D following RMWs recommendations will be quite a reasonable fit - as you can tell from guys who have broughts using the standard RMW conversion to US size shows (just less than absolutely ideally snug perhaps but comfortable).

All in all following RMWs basic guide may still be the safest as it involves the least fiddling around with lengths and widths. Seriously we are sweating over whether the boots might be 1/16'' narrower or longer for a better fit over the internet here!

Ok...got it. Thank you very much for your help Sator. I think I'm going to place an order today!

Borky

Reaction score
What's the best way for someone in the US to determine their size in these? I don't want to get something from nungar and have to end up returning them (if i even can) to Australia. Should I get some AE shoes from zappos and see what size fits me best in those and then go with that exact size or what?

Edit: I mean subtract one.
I'm just trying to figure out what the easiest brand would be to get here to determine size.

I want to get Turnouts by the way.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borky
What's the best way for someone in the US to determine their size in these? I don't want to get something from nungar and have to end up returning them (if i even can) to Australia. Should I get some AE shoes from zappos and see what size fits me best in those and then go with that exact size or what?

Did you read this thread??

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, I have finally succumbed. I emailed Nungar regarding a chestnut kangaroo Stockman buckle boot in a 9F as the website only lists the G and H widths.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Right, I have finally succumbed. I emailed Nungar regarding a chestnut kangaroo Stockman buckle boot in a 9F as the website only lists the G and H widths.

Exxxxxcellent.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just received a pair about 2 weeks ago. Most comfortable shoes I've owned right out of the box. What else do you want to know?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I just received a pair about 2 weeks ago. Most comfortable shoes I've owned right out of the box. What else do you want to know?

I guess I'm wondering how the poron insole affects wearability and comfort, and whether you think the rubber soles are really suitable for foul weather.

Thanks!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm wondering how the poron insole affects wearability and comfort, and whether you think the rubber soles are really suitable for foul weather. Thanks!
The insole gives extra padding and I think it may be responsible for their superior comfort, although I don't own a mainline Craftsman for comparison. I bought the boots intending to wear them in icy, slushy conditions (but not deep snow), but I won't have a chance to test their suitability until January when I return to Oklahoma. However, www.bootsonline.com.au states that they are "Suitable for harsh weather conditions or where salt is used for melting snow".

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre

If I were you I would drop down to 8.5Fs. I just got a pair of kangaroo Stockman's myself (size 7G and I wear AE PA 8Ds) this week from Steve. They run large compared to the 7G yearling leather Stockmans which I tried on for size beforehand. The thinner, softer leather I think is partly the cause plus the fact that standard G fits are already quite wide. Neither Steve nor RMW have F fits listed for the Stockman's so I thought it would be OK to order 7Gs. Unfortunately I am having to wear insoles. I wished I had asked if they can custom make narrower F fit Stockmans
frown.gif
. They do have a F width chisel toed last so I can't see why they couldn't do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads