• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
The insole gives extra padding and I think it may be responsible for their superior comfort, although I don't own a mainline Craftsman for comparison.

I bought the boots intending to wear them in icy, slushy conditions (but not deep snow), but I won't have a chance to test their suitability until January when I return to Oklahoma. However, www.bootsonline.com.au states that they are "Suitable for harsh weather conditions or where salt is used for melting snow".

I noticed one model made with storm welting in the RMW catalogue. If I really needed serious wet weather boots I would be asking about custom ordering a pair of comfort Craftman with storm welting to help keep you nice and dry.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just got mine today. Size 9F ( I wear a 10 D in AE Westgates and a 10 D in Tramezzas, 9.5D Zegna)

The fit is nice and snug. The boots are a pain to put on. I need to grap the straps and pull like my life depends on it. Part of it might be that my feet swell by the end of the day due to medication. Once they are on though, they are like heaven. I will probably get a boot horn. The sole is roughly finished so if you are a sole guy, these will disappoint on that front. What these won't disappoint on is fit, leather, construction and style. They look wonderful on, nice and sleek and are very comfortable. I can definitely see how Soph wore these with a suit. All in all, a pleasant experience with Steve at Nungar and the boots are a great value, you would need to go up significantly in price to get something similar. Mr. Sator, a spot has been reserved for you on my Christmas list
smile.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Just got mine today. Size 9F ( I wear a 10 D in AE Westgates and a 10 D in Tramezzas, 9.5D Zegna)

The fit is nice and snug. The boots are a pain to put on. I need to grap the straps and pull like my life depends on it. Part of it might be that my feet swell by the end of the day due to medication. Once they are on though, they are like heaven. I will probably get a boot horn. The sole is roughly finished so if you are a sole guy, these will disappoint on that front. What these won't disappoint on is fit, leather, construction and style. They look wonderful on, nice and sleek and are very comfortable. I can definitely see how Soph wore these with a suit. All in all, a pleasant experience with Steve at Nungar and the boots are a great value, you would need to go up significantly in price to get something similar.

Bingo! That's exactly how a pair of good boots should fit - hard to get into but heavenly once you do. The snugness around the ankle makes them a struggle to put on when new but it gives exceptional orthotic ankle support. The elastic and leather around the shaft will stretch as they are broken in. If there's plenty of room in the toebox - as there should be - then you'll find that boots like this are about as comfortable as footwear gets. You notice after a long day that there's much less fatigue compared to shoes. In fact shoes are rather uncomfortable to wear once you get the taste of a proper boot.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Bingo! That's exactly how a pair of good boots should fit - hard to get into but heavenly once you do. The snugness around the ankle makes them a struggle to put on when new but it gives exceptional orthotic ankle support. The elastic and leather around the shaft will stretch as they are broken in. If there's plenty of room in the toebox - as there should be - then you'll find that boots like this are about as comfortable as footwear gets. You notice after a long day that there's much less fatigue compared to shoes. In fact shoes are rather uncomfortable to wear once you get the taste of a proper boot.

Unfortunately, now i need contact Nungar again and find the same boots in another leather/suede as I can tell these will become addictive
smile.gif

Borky

Reaction score
Sator, can you help me with my sizing dilemma? I don't really have anything to go by so I want to know what I should get to find out my correct sizing. Has to be something from zappos or someplace else with easy returns.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borky
Sator, can you help me with my sizing dilemma? I don't really have anything to go by so I want to know what I should get to find out my correct sizing. Has to be something from zappos or someplace else with easy returns.

My best advice is go try on a pair of Allen Edmond Park Avenues and work out your RMW size from there. AE PAs have rapidly become the yard stick against which everyone compares sizes.

If you are based in the UK or Europe try on some Loakes and order whatever UK size you do in Loakes.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Size 9F ( I wear a 10 D in AE Westgates and a 10 D in Tramezzas, 9.5D Zegna)

Right. That's it - I'm rewriting the sizing guide tonight. I am really glad you had enough confidence in my recommendations with sizings and widths to drop down to an F fit. I will recommend this up front now to everyone. I'll also emphasise using AE PAs as the universal yard stick.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Right. That's it - I'm rewriting the sizing guide tonight. I am really glad you had enough confidence in my recommendations with sizings and widths to drop down to an F fit. I will recommend this up front now to everyone. I'll also emphasise using AE PAs as the universal yard stick.

I've just done it myself as well. I wear a 9.5D in AE Byrons and ordered 8.5F Yearling Craftsman tonight from Nungar.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
The insole gives extra padding and I think it may be responsible for their superior comfort, although I don't own a mainline Craftsman for comparison.

I bought the boots intending to wear them in icy, slushy conditions (but not deep snow), but I won't have a chance to test their suitability until January when I return to Oklahoma. However, www.bootsonline.com.au states that they are "Suitable for harsh weather conditions or where salt is used for melting snow".

Thinman, did you get yours from bootsonline, or somewhere else?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have taken heed of everyones' experiences posted here along with my own and made a major revision to the sizing guide. It is now a lot simpler. First up I just recommend basing your size on the AE PA. This will become the future yard stick for forumites. Next, I have clearly acknowledged that RMWs run wide. I measured them out and compared my RMWs with AEs, Loakes, C&Js and JLs - and they definitely run wide. This explains the complaint that they run large even though the lengths are pretty standard UK lengths. It's just they are wide and this is made worse by the use of thinner, stretchier leathers. The new sizing guide takes all of this into account. Plus there is more! I have introduced what I am going to call the forum special model. This one is based on the round nose B529 last, but using a different size conversion formula to create a boot on an elongated last. There is more to the model. You should ask for French veal calf and a nailed construction. The nailed boots look quite considerably sleeker than the Goodyear ones. And French veal calf just looks more polished and dressier. This one should be ideal for wearing with a suit and can be ordered in your choice of chestnut or black. It should be a killer!
smile.gif
Photos coming soon....

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know you said pictures coming soon, but what do the soles look like in the nailed construction?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I know you said pictures coming soon, but what do the soles look like in the nailed construction?
Like the Goodyear welted boots except you see lots of little nails where you usually see welting. I have heard one shoemaker say it is just as good or better as a construction method compared to Goodyear welting. It is more of a classical bootmaking technique. The added sleekness is considerable. Nailed construction is a technique rarely offered in RTW shoes and is more commonly found in bespoke shoes - especially from Viennese and Hungarian shoemakers.

AlexP415

Reaction score
This may be a strange question, but this is my first time wearing boots. Is it acceptable to tuck in the "tugs" at the top of the boots? I've noticed that if I'm wearing a suit, when I stand up, my pant leg sometimes catches on one or both of the tugs. Maybe this is normal, but I was considering trying to tuck them into the boots...
confused.gif

Earthmover

Reaction score
After much deliberation caused by the fact that there's no 'roo boot in 9F, I've ordered the 9G. Crossing my fingers that it works out well. Thanks Sator!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
After much deliberation caused by the fact that there's no 'roo boot in 9F, I've ordered the 9G. Crossing my fingers that it works out well. Thanks Sator!

I put in my order last night with Steve at Nungar for the Stockman strap & buckle roo arse boots (I just love saying that for some reason
biggrin.gif
) and after telling him how the fit was he actually suggested I go with a G rather than an F. I think it may work fine. Either way it seems the difference is almost insignificant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads