• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLBL Fit

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
I'm like 5'10'' 165 lbs and all of my RLBL suits are 40R (my usual suit size is 38R). I would compare measurements of suits you have to different size BL suits (search in the B&S Forum for old listings to get these measurements) if you really can't try one on, but I seriously can't imagine a 36R for you... As mentioned though, they don't fit slim in all areas...namely, they can have wider/stronger shoulders compared to their other measurements; therefore, I def suggest you compare shoulder measurements of your other jackets before buying because to have a tailor fix this can be....
frown.gif

Originally Posted by svelten
Bumping an old post.

I was wondering if anyone has something similar to my specs:

155lbs, 6'0"

There's nowhere to try RLBL suits where I live (Holts doesn't carry RLBL suits), so I am just going to buy these online blind. Would a 38R or 36R fit someone better with these proportions?

I've traditionally worn 36R in suits when I was an extremely svelte 150lbs, but recently I have been undertaking a workout program with some success and have gained about 5 lbs in the past couple of months. I hope to settle in at around 160lbs so I can still be thin without being too lanky. From what I gather, a 36R RLBL fits slimmer than most other designers, and would be disastrous? Or does someone have some other feedback? How feasible is it for a tailor to fix a suit that fits a little too small?

I guess the only way to know is to buy one and try it on.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main concern with RLBL is the structured shoulder. For those that actually own one, do you need seriously broad shoulders to make it full in the shoulder? I find the look difficult to pull off... seems like a crease/indentation showing below the structured shoulder pad is inevitable.

And for a 38R/S in RLBL, is the shoulder measurement a 17.5" or a full 18"?

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
My main concern with RLBL is the structured shoulder. For those that actually own one, do you need seriously broad shoulders to make it full in the shoulder? I find the look difficult to pull off... seems like a crease/indentation showing below the structured shoulder pad is inevitable.

Sometimes the structured shoulder bothers me a little too because it can be a little strong, and this is what I meant by it's not skinny all over. You have to be at least somewhat athletic in my opinion to pull this suit off well as the shoulders are a little broader (not too much though): 38's have 18's, and 40's have 18.5's.

On another note, the it's so hard to wear a BL suit stuff is getting really lame and dumb....

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo

Shoulder fit is the most common problem I see with BL. Seems to be an issue for a lot of guys.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
my shoulders are not particularly broad and the rlbls i tried on were fine. my issue more lies in the puckering of the lapel at the chest when buttoned.

This is a common tradeoff, I suspect. To get sufficient girth, guys end up with shoulders that are too big.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Shoulder fit is the most common problem I see with BL. Seems to be an issue for a lot of guys.

I tried on a few BL coats today at the RL in Chicago.

1- they run very small. I'm a 40L in most. I'm a 41-42 in some Italian cuts. In BL 42 was probably the best fit but wouldn't want it any smaller.

And I concur about the shoulder. Too much structure, especially around the shoulder seam. I'm broad-shouldered and even so, these shoulders looked realy awkward. The new season of RL Polo, by comparison, has a much more natural shoulder. But certainly needs some nipping in the waist.

RayRay

Reaction score
Like Svelten, no one sells RLBL where i live...

Can anyone recommend me websites that sell RLBL online?

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RayRay
Like Svelten, no one sells RLBL where i live...

Can anyone recommend me websites that sell RLBL online?

What size are you? I have a brand new navy RLBL suit in 38R that I will be putting up for sale. It has very faint pinstripes, but they're so faint the fabric is essentially solid navy unless examined very closely.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by svelten
Bumping an old post.

I was wondering if anyone has something similar to my specs:

155lbs, 6'0"

There's nowhere to try RLBL suits where I live (Holts doesn't carry RLBL suits), so I am just going to buy these online blind. Would a 38R or 36R fit someone better with these proportions?

I've traditionally worn 36R in suits when I was an extremely svelte 150lbs, but recently I have been undertaking a workout program with some success and have gained about 5 lbs in the past couple of months. I hope to settle in at around 160lbs so I can still be thin without being too lanky. From what I gather, a 36R RLBL fits slimmer than most other designers, and would be disastrous? Or does someone have some other feedback? How feasible is it for a tailor to fix a suit that fits a little too small?

I guess the only way to know is to buy one and try it on.

I'm somewhat similar, 5'10 and 145-150lbs. RLBL does not fit me well at all. I have never been interested in the skinny lapel trend but have tried them on at RL for the hell of it. I'm usually a perfect 36R in most classic brands but the 36R RLBL is too tight everywhere and would need to be let-out a ton in order to fit. The 38R fits me perfect everywhere except the shoulders which are too big, since i don't like the stuff enough to have a re-cut done i have to pass. BTW the shoulders on the 38's definitely measure 18".

I assume since your about 10lbs heavier then me that you will have the same problem of winding up in between a 38R and 40R with the 40R's shoulders being too wide.

If you live near any metropolitan city just go to a RL store and try them on. Best way to find out.

LAPL

Reaction score
I have a very athletic build (my chest measures a 44, but I have a 29.5 inch waist), I am 6'0 175lb and I buy a 42R in black label suits. In fact, I only buy black label suits because they are the only suits that seem to fit me well. I have to have the jacket altered greatly in the waist and I have to have the pants re-cut, but they look phenomenal afterwards and people always tell me how well the suit fits. I recommend getting whatever size suit you normally wear because it allows for the suit to fit how it is supposed to.

RayRay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
What size are you? I have a brand new navy RLBL suit in 38R that I will be putting up for sale. It has very faint pinstripes, but they're so faint the fabric is essentially solid navy unless examined very closely.

Im a size 36R

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads