• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rick Perry: French Cuffs and Cowboy Boots?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick Google search shows this has come up in a lot of articles and blogs. How do we like this God-fearing Republican's look?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Labelking would have no problem with that combo. Furthermore, that is what the next President of the United States looks like! Get used to it.

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
It's hard to tell, but couldn't they be single link cuffs? If they are French, then he's had a hell of a press put on them. Now if only he would stick a white linen square in the breast pocket...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A quick Google search shows this has come up in a lot of articles and blogs. How do we like this God-fearing Republican's look?

Well...I find it nearly impossible to get past my opinion of his politics......which are not to my liking.

However, as politicians go his style is a smidge better than others. Particularly in terms of color. He has at least mostly moved past the standard red tie into shades of muted orange. They are a bit more appealing and reasonably well combined with the color of his suits. He seems to have a pretty good sense of which colors of suits look well with his hair color. However, his hair seems to be getting less gray recently (ugh!) I'm fine with cufflinks - although with single cuff shirts as shown in the top photo not such a fan.

I'm no fan of his penchant for shiny fabrics on suits - although he does seem to sport fairly naturally shaped shoulders - which look well on a man of substantial build as he has.

The cowboy boots he comes by honostly given his geographic home. Although on anyone other than a Texan I find them repellant.

None of it is actually good by 'Sartorial Standards' but we really can't hold any politicians to that standard, can we?

However, if he ends up as our next president I may have to renounce my citizenship!

:hide:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cowboy boots and suits?

He must be shot for crime against fashion...

He is playing the populist card like every self-respecting politicians...

He has cowboy boots because he is the average Joe...:satisfied:

If you buy that crap it is your problem...

Religion is a personal matter ...

It is making me sick to the stomach to see people using God to get elected ...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobody comes by cowboy boots honestly unless he's a cowboy.

Technically I do agree with you - but it's a very widespread look in Texas. I'm willing to accept a little 'regional diversity' for the sake of keeping life interesting.

However, I do draw the line if they are in ostrich or gater!

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"However, if he ends up as our next president I may have to renounce my citizenship!"

:hide:

... well lets get together and "pray" this doesn't happen... :rotflmao:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's hard to tell, but couldn't they be single link cuffs? If they are French, then he's had a hell of a press put on them. Now if only he would stick a white linen square in the breast pocket...

I can't remember the last time a US President used a PS. Kennedy?

Geezer

Reaction score
Reagan often. Bush 1 occasionally.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am no fan of god-fearing Republicans, but I've always liked the way Rick Perry dresses himself.
(Apologies to Stephen Colbert. I meant to type "Rick pArry."}

Now if only he would stick a white linen square in the breast pocket...

What is it about American politicians that they won't wear pocket squares? Maybe they're afraid it will spread out and cover their lapel flag?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reagan often. Bush 1 occasionally.

Wow...never noticed that on Reagan. It's funny, people act like PS's and Full Windsors are so daring-but there goes Reagan the Holy Grail of Conservatism wearing them.

ETA: Damn, he wore French cuffs too!

Last edited:

Archy

Reaction score
I lived in Austin for 15 years. Boots and suits in high-powered business settings...very typical and not necessarily a "regular guy look" more like the Texas Pride F.U. look.
Western boots were universally acceptable but you had to have the right boots for the situation. I'm sure Perry is wearing some custom super well-made $1k+ boots, maybe with a fabulous Yellow Rose of Texas inlay or a nice Lone Star motif.

In Austin, and I am sure it was worse outside Travis County, Perry struck many as a little too polished and metro to ever be a mistaken for a regular guy.

Orange tie = Longhorns color, even though he is an Aggie.

As for God fearing Republican part... about 10 years ago the capital city was abuzz with the story that Perry's wife kicked him out after catching him in flagrante with the male chef.

Friends who were in high TX Rep. circles and, more tellingly, upscale Austin gay circles seemed to think this a very reasonable accusation. Google "Rick Perry Gay" and read all about it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...unless you are trying to pull off the God fearing Republican act.

Myself, I'd probably like and respect him more if he was openly gay. As it is, he is just another sociopathic politician.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I lived in Austin for 15 years. Boots and suits in high-powered business settings...very typical and not necessarily a "regular guy look" more like the Texas Pride F.U. look.
Western boots were universally acceptable but you had to have the right boots for the situation. I'm sure Perry is wearing some custom super well-made $1k+ boots, maybe with a fabulous Yellow Rose of Texas inlay or a nice Lone Star motif.

In Austin, and I am sure it was worse outside Travis County, Perry struck many as a little too polished and metro to ever be a mistaken for a regular guy.

Orange tie = Longhorns color, even though he is an Aggie.

As for God fearing Republican part... about 10 years ago the capital city was abuzz with the story that Perry's wife kicked him out after catching him in flagrante with the male chef.

Friends who were in high TX Rep. circles and, more tellingly, upscale Austin gay circles seemed to think this a very reasonable accusation. Google "Rick Perry Gay" and read all about it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...unless you are trying to pull off the God fearing Republican act.

Myself, I'd probably like and respect him more if he was openly gay. As it is, he is just another sociopathic politician.

The more anti-gay they're , the more suspicious I'm actually becoming...

Most hetero are not bothered by gays .

Last edited:

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads