• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rheumatoid athritis

bullethead

Reaction score
Any SF members have any experience with this? my niece was just diagnosed with this and wondering if anyone could offer any insight

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sucks. The steroids have tons of side effects and it's a degenerative disease. A client and close friend got diagnosed with it. When I first met her she was making great progress and she was soon in the best shape of her life. RA set in and created lots of limitations and it really set her back a lot because so much of her training and life got affected by it.

fkl118

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
Any SF members have any experience with this? my niece was just diagnosed with this and wondering if anyone could offer any insight

Any particular concerns? It's a chronic inflammatory condition primarily involving the joints. There is no cure but there are many good treatments, some more affordable than others.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My mother-in-law has it. It sucks.
She's really deteriorated in the past several years.

It took a long time before they were able to find a treatment that was effective for her and the drugs are very expensive.

bullethead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fkl118
Any particular concerns? It's a chronic inflammatory condition primarily involving the joints. There is no cure but there are many good treatments, some more affordable than others.

Nothing i can think of right away-just found out this afternoon. I suppose i'm curious to see if anyone here has it and how it affects day to day life.

thanks for the responses

aguydude

Reaction score
I wrote a paper on coping with RA in Health Psych so I'll offer what little insight I have..

One of the most common complications of RA is depression, and depression has been shown in studies to intensify pain experienced. This is especially dangerous because it forms a negative feedback: progression of disease --> greater disability --> decreased self-esteem/self-efficacy because they are not able to do the things they used to do --> depression --> increase intensity of pain --> exacerbation of the physical impairment.

In terms of treatment, generally speaking cognitive-behavior therapy with the main goal of increasing self-efficacy is the best way to go. The goal is to reduce the risk of depression. Teach the patient skills in managing stress, pain, and symptoms of the disease (eg: through arthritis self-help books) has been shown to reduce pain and joint inflammation and improve psychosocial functioning.

EDIT: also, if she's just diagnosed with this, here's some optimistic statistics: almost half of RA patients recover completely, nearly half remain somewhat arthritic, and only about 10% are severely disabled.

mkerr

Reaction score
i'm assuming you're talking about juvenile RA? as that's a slightly different beastie than RA diagnosed in later life.

it used to be a seriously crippling /deforming disease. with the new DMARDS (disease modifying antirheumatic drugs) patient outcomes are insanely better. it's an area that some serious progression has been made and is being made, so you're best bet is to talk to a rheumatologist if possible, as they'll be the most up to date with the particular sub-type of RA you're talking about, current medications, and prognosis.

just to reitterate --> shitloads of progress has been made, far far far better outcomes than previous.

fkl118

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkerr
just to reitterate --> shitloads of progress has been made, far far far better outcomes than previous.

Totally true. There are way more effective treatments now compared to just 10 years ago. There are also new drugs coming out all the time.

How severe the RA is really varies from person to person. Some have mild disease which doesn't affect day to day life at all. Others have moderate disease which is harder to control. And others have severe disease which is more resistant to treatment.

The prognosis is often hard to determine. But some prognostic factors include how severe the disease is at onset, certain blood test results, and if someone is a smoker.

johnnymick

Reaction score
I had juvenile RA when I was younger, so in the early 90s. From what I remember, I had to go to the hospital pretty frequently treatment. At 19, I am completely fine, though, and have been just about as long as I can remember. I have played soccer since I was about 6, am an active runner, and pretty athletic. It hasn't really affected me at all, except that it may be one of the factors as to why I am skinny.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazer623