• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return of the Double Breasted Suit...

mandjo

Reaction score
I've seen Casablanca and DB was popular back in the day. Maybe that's why people claim it's making a comeback, but it never really went away.

FillW

Reaction score
I got the Ermenegildo Zega DB jacket Tuesday and took it home and tried it on with a white dress shirt. I think it'll work but I'll have to get some pants to go with it. I'll take some pics after I get it back from the cleaners to get it cleaned and pressed.

jon54

Reaction score
From what I gather, the double breasted suit never faded in the fashion scene, it's merely reborn - that is- now it's cut slimmer and tapered closer to the body to enhance the body's physique.

FillW

Reaction score
So is the doublebreasted jacket mainly part of a suit or did they come as sport coats also?

Last edited:

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice thread.

As a shorter guy (5'6") I have stayed away from double breasted suits. But some things, like Prine of Wales, look betetr to me as a double breasted than as a single breasted.

Last edited:

jsanders65

Reaction score
The new DB's are of course better they're structured closer to the body, tapered with slimmer silhouettes, as opposed to the old one.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere about Ralph Lauren's fondness for the 6x2 DB with the lower button, rather than the middle button, fastened. It seemed to be indicative of his general appreciation/appropriation of various elements of classic men's style from the 1920s-1940s - It has also been said that the Duke of Windsor popularized the style in the late 1930s/early 1940s. I thought it was interesting to see that Lucky Luciano was photographed wearing his 6x2 DBs in the same manner as early as 1936 - perhaps both men appreciated the supposedly elongating effect that the lower button position was supposed to create.

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2012/07/of-pimps-peaked-lapels-or-short-history.html

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to resurrect this thread because, having got myself a DB blazer, I have changed my mind about how DB coats looks on shorter guys like me. However, one thing has been puzzling me and perhaps the more knowledgeable style historians on the forum can help here: in the photographs of classic DB suits, the peaked lapel appears to be dominant. However, I've seen plenty of DB suits 'in the wild' with a notched lapel. Although I prefer the peaked lapel on a DB suit coat, I don't think the notched lapel looks terrible. But is the notched lapel a faux-pas? Does anyone here have a DB suit with a notched lapel?

Last edited:

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No they're an awful aberration of the 80s.

Ebonyman

Reaction score
I've have to agree with the original response to this question. I haven't had a notched lapel DB since sometime in the '80s and can't say that I would ever wear one again....

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are actually a classic staple and look awesome in POW check.

Having done a bit of digging, I don't think it is a classic style. In the 20s-30s, there appears to have been a fad for 'fishmouth' or 'Parisian' lapels on coats whether SB or DB, but these are not the same as standard notch lapels. And they still don't look as 'right' as a peak lapel on a DB.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This only works with causal DB jacket, mind you this should not be your first one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads