• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return of the Double Breasted Suit...

jc4jax

Reaction score
I noticed in some of the pictures that some leave the bottom right button undone (similar in a SB) while some button them all. Which is proper or does that rule even apply to a DB suit?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Whatever you want.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

…but it would look better as a 4x2 or 6x2, imo.

Yes, 4x2 and the buttons in a square-type formation instead of looking like two rows of mammal teats. There's something I don't like about two buttons hovering at about the height of one's nipples.
I don't know, each to his own style, but the DB is something I haven't really taken to...yet.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know, each to his own style, but the DB is something I haven't really taken to...yet.
Given your member name ... I find this to be a surprise.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

Given your member name ... I find this to be a surprise.

I'm not sure why.
But in any case, I'm not knocking DB coats, I freely admit that I just haven't managed to make it work for me.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not sure why.
But in any case, I'm not knocking DB coats, I freely admit that I just haven't managed to make it work for me.
I just rather like your member name ... brings to mind Mrs. Christie and crusty old traditions.

Last edited:

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Well, as if I needed further proof of the current trend towards the DB suit or jacket, this months "Details" magazine has a spread called "How to wear the DB Jacket. For those of you who aren't familiar, Details tends to cater primarily to 20 somethings. When a magazine with this demographic starts extolling the virtues of the DB, I think it's safe to say that the DB Jacket is back!:nodding:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DB doesn't really do any favours to short guys, so I will be resolutely ignoring this trend.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Good-looking suit on Ebonyman. I actually have an almost identical "regular" Polo one that was made right here where I live in Syracuse, NY at the former Learbury factory about 15 years ago and it's still in great condition. Learbury made suits for Polo and Brooks Brothers until all the elderly Italian women they had making them eventually died off, the economy changed (same thing happened to Nettleton, a local shoe manufacturer on a par with AE) and lots of things basically went to ****.

My question is with the turn toward thinner lapels even on a DB, does anyone regard the lapel width on his suit as too wide? Same deal wiith the third picture of the striped one posted by TheDarkKnight?

dc1976

Reaction score
Just wanted to comment on your DB seersucker pic you posted. I could never pull this off, but on you, if I saw you coming I'd see man I needed to take seriously. :)

styledoc

Reaction score
I just purchased a double breasted suit from ralph lauren and it came with unhemmed flat front trousers. Should I get the hem cuffed or plain?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
cuffed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads