• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request for Simple Style Secrets from Great Dressers

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
This thread is addressed to guys who are CONSTANTLY getting compliments from women on how uncommonly good/sexy their clothes/accessories look.
inlove.gif

If your choice of clothes involves simply walking into the local Dior Homme store and buying a complete wardrobe at full price or the like, then your budget is beyond what I can afford. Likewise, if you rely on an innate sense of form and/or color and pull off Houdini-like feats of improvised sartorial brilliance using a wide array of colors, fabrics and cuts that defy written description, I probably will not be able to follow you.
confused.gif

But, I am sure that some of you apply a very simple system for selecting and wearing clothes that does not break (or only rarely breaks) the bank, and get fantastic results (a la the 1st paragraph above).

If you are such a remarkable individual, I would be very grateful for any insight into the guidelines you employ to give your choice of clothes and accessories such tremendous impact.
teacha.gif
A little background on the “genre” you favor – e.g., alternative hipster, wall street professional, intellectual eccentric, etc. – and your body type (tall, short, fat, slim, athletic or whatever) would also be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women like how you dress when they like you.

Women are no less a mystery then anything else . Lets be honest nobody has the user manual.

BareSolid

Reaction score
I would like to know as well... I really can't find decent sports jackets with light padding for anything cheaper than Steven Aver and I don't want to order MTM when I don't even have a starting point.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
1. guys who are CONSTANTLY getting compliments from women .....................

2. walking into the local Dior Homme store and buying a complete wardrobe at full price or the like...........................................

3. rely on an innate sense of form and/or color and pull off Houdini-like feats of improvised sartorial brilliance using a wide array of colors, fabrics and cuts that defy written description,.....................................

4. apply a very simple system for selecting and wearing clothes that does not break (or only rarely breaks) the bank, and get fantastic results (a la the 1st paragraph above).

1. Movie stars or models

2. Gay

3. Does not exist or closet gay

4. Keep trying,

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I would like to know as well... I really can't find decent sports jackets with light padding for anything cheaper than Steven Aver and I don't want to order MTM when I don't even have a starting point.

You need to look for sales, esp. ones at B&S here.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
This thread is addressed to guys who are CONSTANTLY getting compliments from women on how uncommonly good/sexy their clothes/accessories look.
inlove.gif

Why just from women? I often get favourable attention from men for my clothing choices, and only occasionally from women. It may not be what I am looking for, but it is still flattering.

I don't think this is a good forum for asking this question, a lot of people here dress in what they like in spite of what appeals to women.
As far as I can tell for your clothes to appeal to women you should see what the men the hang out with wear, and go just a little bit better. Or dress like a model from a mid market high street catalogue. Not exciting, but true.

Dashing1

Reaction score
In terms of "Houdini-like improvisations"...they don't exist. Even real, practicing magicians don't make up tricks on the spot; they practice tried & true basics and then make slight deviations. It is only because they have practiced 1,000 times that they look natural.

The all-time great dressers (think back to Cary Grant or Gary Cooper) were VERY studied in their style--so much so that they made it look natural. Even when dressing casually, Cooper knew the look he wanted and was even said to repeatededly drag his jeans behind a car until the desired effect was reached.

Dressing in a style that elicits admiration starts from the inside--you've got to be confident! How do you get confident? Know the rules. Read Flussers' books, watch the forum for pics that you like, & learn to pay attention to the details. Learn the structure, so that you can relax.

If you are not in great shape, get in great shape. It is not that difficult, if you really want it. You'll feel good about yourself and your clothes (when altered well--perhaps, the greatest key to looking good) will look better (no matter their label or make).

When you shop for fit, you'll make better choices. You'll also find that (if your budget is limited) you can get by with fewer clothes; the ones you'll keep will just be really good (and maybe of high quality, if you learn to shop outlets, eBay, etc.)

Choose looks you like that fit your personality. Nothing succeeds like authenticity, and you must feel good and not-at-all self-conscious to pull off a look that will be deemed "great." Take it one step at a time--if you are not used to wearing patterns, don't try to match 4 patterns at once. Slowly build your competence and confidence.

Dressing well is a bit like good interior decorating. It starts with decorators who have studied thousands of looks in books, magazines, and in person. Once the basic rules are known well, they are bent in a way that keeps the home from looking like a generic designer showroom. The look is designed to complement the personality and "bones" of the home. Editing is key and something slightly off ("sprezzatura" if you will) makes the look. When you have done it enough and bend the rules slightly in jazz-like fashion, it will look like magic.

In terms of things you can put in place today (without studying the art for awhile)...concentrate on fitness, the fit of your clothes, get an interesting watch (doesn't have to be expensive) and get interesting shoes (don't have to be ridiculously expensive, but must be really well kept or perhaps even interestingly antiqued). Own this, and you will elicit compliments and admiration.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashing1
In terms of "Houdini-like improvisations"...they don't exist. Even real, practicing magicians don't make up tricks on the spot; they practice tried & true basics and then make slight deviations. It is only because they have practiced 1,000 times that they look natural.

The all-time great dressers (think back to Cary Grant or Gary Cooper) were VERY studied in their style--so much so that they made it look natural. Even when dressing casually, Cooper knew the look he wanted and was even said to repeatededly drag his jeans behind a car until the desired effect was reached.

Dressing in a style that elicits admiration starts from the inside--you've got to be confident! How do you get confident? Know the rules. Read Flussers' books, watch the forum for pics that you like, & learn to pay attention to the details. Learn the structure, so that you can relax.

If you are not in great shape, get in great shape. It is not that difficult, if you really want it. You'll feel good about yourself and your clothes (when altered well--perhaps, the greatest key to looking good) will look better (no matter their label or make).

When you shop for fit, you'll make better choices. You'll also find that (if your budget is limited) you can get by with fewer clothes; the ones you'll keep will just be really good (and maybe of high quality, if you learn to shop outlets, eBay, etc.)

Choose looks you like that fit your personality. Nothing succeeds like authenticity, and you must feel good and not-at-all self-conscious to pull off a look that will be deemed "great." Take it one step at a time--if you are not used to wearing patterns, don't try to match 4 patterns at once. Slowly build your competence and confidence.

Dressing well is a bit like good interior decorating. It starts with decorators who have studied thousands of looks in books, magazines, and in person. Once the basic rules are known well, they are bent in a way that keeps the home from looking like a generic designer showroom. The look is designed to complement the personality and "bones" of the home. Editing is key and something slightly off ("sprezzatura" if you will) makes the look. When you have done it enough and bend the rules slightly in jazz-like fashion, it will look like magic.

In terms of things you can put in place today (without studying the art for awhile)...concentrate on fitness, the fit of your clothes, get an interesting watch (doesn't have to be expensive) and get interesting shoes (don't have to be ridiculously expensive, but must be really well kept or perhaps even interestingly antiqued). Own this, and you will elicit compliments and admiration.

This is very well put.

I will add two thoughts:
1) Try to to mix high and low end as much as possible. Shop the sales by all means for bargains, but once you refine your look, you should always be on the look out for less expensive options. A Lands End down vest at $25 is just as good (if not better in come cases) than designer versions that cost 10 times as much.
2) Find a good tailor. Not all suits, jackets, shirts and pants will fit you off the rack. You can do wonders with mid-range clothes tailored to fit you. You will spend a little more on alterations, but the end result will be that your clothes will look like they were made for you.

wakerider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey

2) Find a good tailor. Not all suits, jackets, shirts and pants will fit you off the rack. You can do wonders with mid-range clothes tailored to fit you. You will spend a little more on alterations, but the end result will be that your clothes will look like they were made for you.

DEFINITELY. I see way too many guys wearing clothes that just don't fit them.

DeanCorso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashing1

^ this.

As far as compliments from women go, the most foolproof way to get more is to improve your body. $3000 worth of designer clothes won't turn girls' heads if they're worn by the wrong fellow. Although, making sure they fit properly does help.

At the end of the day, women compliment men for their fashion for the same reason men compliment women for their fashion: they find the person wearing it attractive.

In my experience, the only other reason is because they recognize a label you're wearing, because women tend to link labels and status. But these compliments are about that status, not necessarily your fashion sense.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeanCorso
^ this. As far as compliments from women go, the most foolproof way to get more is to improve your body. $3000 worth of designer clothes won't turn girls' heads if they're worn by the wrong fellow. Although, making sure they fit properly does help. At the end of the day, women compliment men for their fashion for the same reason men compliment women for their fashion: they find the person wearing it attractive. In my experience, the only other reason is because they recognize a label you're wearing, because women tend to link labels and status. But these compliments are about that status, not necessarily your fashion sense.
+1, this is pretty much bang on. Women may occasionally compliment a man for his style, but if it's not purely out of attraction, then it's because you've got something obviously fashionable, even if they don't know the label (they'll make sure to ask you in that case).

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score
Here's my input: You can elevate yourself above 95% of society if you follow three simple rules. 1. Always wear GREAT SHOES that contrast and stand out from your outfit...such as Mid-Tan shoes with Navy Blue Pinned Stripped Pants (that they must be of high quality is a given) Here's an example:
4260588965_153134d869_o.png
2. Always have a GREAT BELT to match those GREAT SHOES 3. The one thing that will ensure you get a slew of compliments from both men and women is to ALWAYS WEAR BOLD SOCKS. Here are a few pair from my collection:
4262519684_083120e459.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads