• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing norwegian welted soles

Nine Miler

Reaction score
So, I figured I would start this thread now, sort of as a placeholder. I have had in my possession now, for a few years, a pair of crocodile golf shoes. There is a long story behind it, and I don't know the full history of the shoes, as they were gifted to me by one of the amateur members in my group from a pro-am tournament I played several years ago, while I was still playing professional golf. He said they were given to him by a friend that had them made, or made them, and then never wore them. Before I could stop him, he removed the insoles, but gave me the shoes. They are almost a perfect fit.

They don't really fit what I prefer to wear in a golf shoe, but they are a brown, full brogue wingtip, and I think they would look good as a casual shoe option (not a golf shoe). The problem is that they have soles that accept spikes, and I am not sure I really love the norwegian welt on this pair, either. They are in pretty excellent condition otherwise. Is it possible to have insoles made, and also to have them resoled with a different welt? I will upload some photos of the shoes when I get home later this evening.

leetpuma

Reaction score
I am not 100 Percent sure but isent this welting type basically
norwegian = goodyear welt + extra sewing to attach the welt to the upper?

Since the welt is not removed in the resoling all that would need to be done would be an normal goodyear resole.

If this is true. You can have the sole replaced by your local cobbler for $50-70 USD.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your pictures are good but without inspecting them the only thing I can say is that I am pretty sure the cleated sole is cemented on. It can be pulled off. Underneath might be a functional leather outsole. A new heel stack would have to be created.

I'm not seeing definite signs that the shoe is handwelted so I would have to assume GY. To replace the insole without the original last is a crap shoot.

My best advice is to leave the insole and the welt alone. Tou want a casual brogue and Norwegian welt is the definition of casual, IMO.

Nine Miler

Reaction score
Yes, but spikes aren't. That can be redone? The spikes are actually screw in, so they can be changed, but there is still a threaded insert that leaves a hole when the spikes are removed. I don't actually have the original insoles either. He gave them to me without them.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, but spikes aren't. That can be redone? The spikes are actually screw in, so they can be changed, but there is still a threaded insert that leaves a hole when the spikes are removed. I don't actually have the original insoles either. He gave them to me without them.

There is a 12 iron(?) leather "midsole" on those shoes. It is sewn through the welt. Now the sockets that the spikes screw into may only go through the rubber sole that the spike are mounted. I doubt...and I could be wrong...that the threaded portion of the spike are so long that they would penetrate the leather mid sole.

If the sockets are mounted in the leather insole then you could just have a thin leather outsole cemented to the midsole.

Or you could have the outsole replaced.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what I think I'm seeing but that's my take...from this distance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads