• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remove Pockets from Velvet Jacket

So what do you think, should I remove the pockets?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Graziano

Reaction score
I have a velvet jacket that I've owned for quite a few years. I love the cut for my body, but I'm not a fan of all of the pockets. Looking on the inside of the top pockets, there is velvet that runs all the way through underneath. I'm thinking that I may be able to remove those pockets and have the jacket look less cluttered. I'd love to remove the bottom pockets too, but the velvet does not run all the way through. Anyway my question is:

If I remove the top pockets, will the velvet fabric underneath show the alteration (as in the holes or some sort of outline from the previous pocket) or will it hide it and not show evidence of the alteration?

Here's a pic below of the jacket. Any insight is appreciated.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think there's a very high likelihood that there'll be marks (and possible colour differences), where the pockets were, should they be removed, especially knowing that you've owned & worn it for years.

However, if you dislike wearing the jacket as is, because of the pockets, then there's nothing to lose. Just keep expectations low.

But if you don't mind the jacket as is, then I wouldn't take the risk.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ran into a similar issue with a cotton jacket. My wonderful seamstress said she would undo a bit of the stitching and take a look, and if there were no problems continue with the removal, which is what she did. If there had been a problem she could have easily redone the stitching. Try that?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Velvet is very different from cotton and is highly likely to show significant differences in the cloth.

Try if you must be prepared to either burn the coat or else try an unsatisfactory reattachment. The stitching of the latter will always look different.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the stitching can probably be replicated, I think the potential for failure is higher with velvet than cotton as its likely the nap of the velvet will have been flattened under the stitched seams and may not be able to stand up again.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hieromance