• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remote speakers for apartment?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, here's what I have: One desktop computer and a couple of laptops. An Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and an Airport Express.

I also have a stereo (see pics in "elevate their cables" thread).

I'm not an audiophile and I don't have money to burn on stereo equipment. My receiver is a 20-year-old JVC, which is hooked up to my turntable (yes, a turntable) and a tape deck. I'm in the process of ripping my CD collection.

So, here's what I'd like to do. My Airport Express is plugged in next to my receiver, and I can pump music through it from the desktop machine (in another room). I can also play that music over the desktop's speakers. But I'd like to expand. For example, to add better speakers to the desktop machine (I've thought about the HK Soundsticks for that), and maybe to add speakers in a couple of other rooms, such as my office and maybe the kitchen.

I'd like to spend no more than a couple of hundred bucks per room (Sonos seems more expensive than that), and I don't want to run cables around the apartment--the walls are old and thick and that would be a major hassle.

So, am I dreaming? Should I suck it up and start thinking about Sonos or something equivalent to get where I need to be? Are there remote speakers I can buy, to plug into additional Airport Expresses for example, that fit my budget and provide adequate sound?

TIA,
Grim.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We love our Sonos system - it was worth the investment.

I'm not familiar with the Airport system but could you simply plug a set of powered PC speakers into an Airport satellite to stream music to these speakers wirelessly?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
We love our Sonos system - it was worth the investment.

I'm not familiar with the Airport system but could you simply plug a set of powered PC speakers into an Airport satellite to stream music to these speakers wirelessly?

Yes. The only problem is the lack of remote--you have to change tracks, etc., from the computer from which you're streaming. Since I can stream from either the laptops or the desktop, however, that's not a big deal. Basically, you just plug the powered speakers into the minijack on the Express and tell iTunes where to send the music--to one room, some rooms, or all. I fear I'm going to end up looking at something like Sonos...
confused.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you feel that not having a remote is not a big deal, I see no good reason to switch to Sonos.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, but in either case I'd need speakers, right? Anyone have any recommendations? What speakers did you opt for, GDL?

Also, gdl, am I correct in understanding that the only difference between the 80 & 100 models on the Sonos is that the 100 has a built-in amp and the 80 doesn't?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Yes, but in either case I'd need speakers, right? Anyone have any recommendations? What speakers did you opt for, GDL?

The only room where we did not have a music system to plug a sonos receiver in was our bedrrom. I got a pair of Bose powered PC speakers that were available on sale at a good price somewhere on the net and plugged a Sonos 80 into it.

32081075-2-200-0.gif

The other Sonos 80 is plugged into an existing stereo system and the Sonos 100 has its own set of Sonos speakers.

Also, gdl, am I correct in understanding that the only difference between the 80 & 100 models on the Sonos is that the 100 has a built-in amp and the 80 doesn't?
I think that's correct. The 80 is by definition made to be plugged into an audio system so it has coax and optical outputs as well.

zp80_lg_4.jpg

zp100_lg_4.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Squeezebox Duet seems to offer the same benefits as the Sonos at a lower pricepoint.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sonos will probably repay its higher price over time in terms of ease-of-use and setup.

If you want to use an Airport-based system, Keyspan makes a remote control that plugs into the Airport that lets you change tracks:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...2F2PHCCCX72KDY

One thing to think about for Airport is that the number of audio streams you can use over wireless is pretty limited. You may not be able to run more than one or two independent playback streams at a time.

--Andre

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is still a work-in-progress, but in the meantime I picked up the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 stereo speaker system. The subwoofer is a monster, but I needed a 5.1 speaker system that would accept an optical audio input, and this fit the bill. The speakers all have standard spring-type cable connectors too, so it's fairly modular.

And no, I did not put the speaker cables on styrofoam cups.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should try to use a Squeeze Box ($299 MSRP probably cheaper online) in every room that you want musics in.

Pair Squeeze Box with Swan MK200 (from The Audio Insider, $249 MSRP). Swan MK200 is an active speaker which means you don't need a separate amplifier or receiver to drive them (as oppose to passive).

The Z-5500 system is a great speaker system for gaming but not for music. It has really bloomy and muddy base response but the upside is the price point. Cheap.
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yardsale
I'm thinking about buying an airport express so I can play music wirelessly, i currently have an airport extreme just like you. How's the setup working out for you?

It works fine. The downside, as I said, is remote control, unless you're going to "set it and forget it" or have a laptop you can use to choose music.

Originally Posted by vitaminc
You should try to use a Squeeze Box ($299 MSRP probably cheaper online) in every room that you want musics in.

Pair Squeeze Box with Swan MK200 (from The Audio Insider, $249 MSRP). Swan MK200 is an active speaker which means you don't need a separate amplifier or receiver to drive them (as oppose to passive).

The Z-5500 system is a great speaker system for gaming but not for music. It has really bloomy and muddy base response but the upside is the price point. Cheap.
smile.gif

I've looked at the squeeze box. I'll check out the Swan speakers. Thanks for that.

I agree that the Z-5500 is a bit muddy. I was testing it both with the Two Towers DVD and with some iTunes tracks, and muddy was precisely my feeling about it. As I said, I'm not an audiophile. And yes, price was a big factor. I couldn't find anything close that was 5.1 and accepted optical input. And it's still better than the built-in speakers on my iMac for playing music.

I'll have to go try playing Return of the King (the game) with the new speakers...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is still a work-in-progress,

And no, I did not put the speaker cables on styrofoam cups.

As you said, it's still a work-in-progress.
smile.gif

Do note that the Squeezebox cannot play back protected files you buy from iTunes. The unprotected ones, ie. iTunes+, work fine.

--Andre

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Do note that the Squeezebox cannot play back protected files you buy from iTunes. The unprotected ones, ie. iTunes+, work fine.

Same with Sonos btw. There is a trick (play the itunes on the PC and plug the PC into the Sonos as a new analog audio component) but it's a bit of a PITA and one cannot remote control iTunes when doing that

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tunebite, anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads