• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Raul

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am from Italy and this is my first post here. Just today I bought my first pair of Red Wing, the 875 in size USA 9D.
They are sligthly large inside, but I don't like tight shoes and will probably put an insole and will use a thicker sock so it will fit fine at the end.
I would like also a pair of Iron Ranger, but I have no occasion to try them, so I would need some advice about the correct sizing for the Iron Ranger compared to the 875. I wear Clark Desert Boots in US 9F. Should I buy the IR in the same 9D size or go down to 8.5D? I don't know in USA but in Europe Red Wings are all D as far as I know. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

NormanF

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am from Italy and this is my first post here. Just today I bought my first pair of Red Wing, the 875 in size USA 9D.
They are sligthly large inside, but I don't like tight shoes and will probably put an insole and will use a thicker sock so it will fit fine at the end.
I would like also a pair of Iron Ranger, but I have no occasion to try them, so I would need some advice about the correct sizing for the Iron Ranger compared to the 875. I wear Clark Desert Boots in US 9F. Should I buy the IR in the same 9D size or go down to 8.5D? I don't know in USA but in Europe Red Wings are all D as far as I know. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

D is a medium width size. Go with the size you wore for your first pair of Red Wing boots.

indigoeagle

Reaction score
Looking for some sizing advice.

I got the Beckman (GT) in 10 and despite what I had heard before they fit really well. I'm generally a 11.
Now I got the Iron Rangers in 10, too, thinking that they would be the same but they feel very tight.
Have others experienced a similar difference?
Or do they just come rougher and need more breaking in?

NormanF

Reaction score
Looking for some sizing advice.

I got the Beckman (GT) in 10 and despite what I had heard before they fit really well. I'm generally a 11.
Now I got the Iron Rangers in 10, too, thinking that they would be the same but they feel very tight.
Have others experienced a similar difference?
Or do they just come rougher and need more breaking in?

If leather boots are the correct size, you'll need to give time to break in to conform to the shape of your feet. That obviously differs from individual to individual. So break in those boots gradually and don't wear them all the time until you get used to them.

NormanF

Reaction score
So from your POV RW Iron Rangers and Beckman (GT) should fit in the same size?

If they're both medium width, they should fit the same size. If the Iron Rangers has a wide width, then go down half a size.

Last edited:

indigoeagle

Reaction score
If they're both medium width, they should fit the same size. If the Iron Rangers has a wide width, then go down half a size.

They are both D, so it should be fine then. I just have to break the Iron Rangers in more then.
Thanks

indigoeagle

Reaction score
Weird. My previous reply hasn't been posted yet. Still under mod check, I guess.

Anyways, the Iron Rangers felt really, really tight when I tried them on out of the box so that I wondered if they weren't too small, especially not wide enough. However, I figured they will stretched and decided to keep them and go for a walk. After five minutes they gave in nicely and were really comfortable, very good fit.
So in my experience the leather of the Iron Rangers is 'harder' than that of the Gentleman Travellers/Beckman, but very quickly also breaks in. Still the Iron Rangers feel a tiny bit smaller than the GTs.
Very happy with both boots.

Matte Male

Reaction score

So from your POV RW Iron Rangers and Beckman (GT) should fit in the same size?

I have two pairs of IRs, one in amber and one in hawthorne/muleskinner and a pair of RW 875s, all in size 13 (I need a 12.5 but they dont exist), and they all fit differently. The amber fit the smallest, then hawthorne ar slightly longer, and the 875s are pretty big on me. These were all ordered off the internets so I had no chance to try them on, really should have exchanged the 875s though :(

rutdown

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

New to the forum, and I've trawled through the sizing queries on here- all v helpful.

I tried a pair of Iron Ranger Hawthorne in UK9/US9.5 back in November, they felt roomy, which I've never liked in shoes. Yesterday I picked up a pair of Amber IR's in UK8/US8.5 from The Three Threads in London for £105.00 - a bargain as I'm sure you all realise. I sized down one.

I'm at UK9 in Vans, UK9 in Nike Running Shoes and these UK8's felt snug and comfortable in the shop. However, this is the first day wearing them and they're damn painful. Obviously its stiff leather but they're pretty unforgiving on the feet. I've walked about for a few hours in them, heel rub is the main thing, some rub on the little toe too. I'm happy to suffer a little pain if they wear in, but from anyone's experience who's sized down 1 - will they? And how long should I bear it?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

galeron

Reaction score
Need some advise - about to pull the trigger on one of these beauts, but not too sure which size to get.

I'm a 9.5 in Clarks DBs, and a 10 in Chucks - which size should I be getting? No RW stores in my area, gotta fly blind :slayer:

indigoeagle

Reaction score
I've got a US 9.5 in the beeswax Clarks DB and they're a bit tight. Funnily the right shoe is very tight, even so normally with other shoes it's the opposite: the left shoe is tighter.
In RW I got the Iron Rangers in US10 and they leave a bit room. So 10 should be right. You can always put a sole in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads