• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OldSnake308
New to the forum, searching red wing shoes got me here.

This question is for multiple Red Wing owners..

I own a pair of size 11 Classic Lifestyle 6'' Moc and I think I'm hooked on RWs. I didn't think a pair of heavy, thick boots would be so comfortable. My question is, would it be safe to assume I am size 11 for Iron Rangers as well as I won't be buying on Zappos this time around, I don't have the luxury of sending it back.

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, yes.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imyouricecreamman
Ordered mine from ebay as well. Got them for 210$ and they are worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. These are boots you will have for years to come if you take care of them.

-V

Which seller?

alexa17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OldSnake308
New to the forum, searching red wing shoes got me here.

This question is for multiple Red Wing owners..

I own a pair of size 11 Classic Lifestyle 6'' Moc and I think I'm hooked on RWs. I didn't think a pair of heavy, thick boots would be so comfortable. My question is, would it be safe to assume I am size 11 for Iron Rangers as well as I won't be buying on Zappos this time around, I don't have the luxury of sending it back.

Thanks in advance.

i have RW 875, 9016, anda 8113. all of them are sz 9D and they are feel similar for my feet.
so my answer is yes.

OldSnake308

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schpacko
Just wanted to share this:

M8cMz.jpg

my - more or less - brand new amber IRs. I like em a lot, pretty comfortable already.

Slim/Skinny looks like the way to go for these slimmer/narrow boots.

fpr4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
What is currently the cheapest place to get Iron Rangers or any Red Wings for that matter?

I got mine from Orvis for $175 back in the winter. Sadly, this offer is no longer in effect.

walds11

Reaction score
The Red Wing Iron Ranger boots look pretty cool, but maybe too vintage for my tastes. They are different than the typical Timberland boots I've had in the past. Are they a timeless design that won't go out of style? How are they in terms of fit and comfort? What about the width? I have narrow feet. Is the Amber Harness color more like a redish brown.

alexa17

Reaction score
i would say it is definitely timeless. but for me, comfort is really bad, for the first wear especially.
if u compare with desert boots the comfort is far far away.

you can apply some obenauf if u dont want too redish.
obenauf wil darken the leather.

walds11

Reaction score
How do they break-in? From looking at all the pics in this thread, they break-in very nicely. Worn look and very comfortable.

I usually use a spray on product to make my shoes/boots water resistant. The spray will darken the leather a little bit.

i would say it is definitely timeless. but for me, comfort is really bad, for the first wear especially.
if u compare with desert boots the comfort is far far away.

you can apply some obenauf if u dont want too redish.
obenauf wil darken the leather.

alexa17

Reaction score
nice worn look doesnt mean comfortable to get this nice worn look result.
they break-in pretty hard for me since redwing has motto "built to last". the leather will smoother after 10-20 wear for me.

you should touch by your own hand so you can feel how hard the leather.

walds11

Reaction score
I love the styling, especially the capped toe. They will make a nice, casual, rugged boot. I went to a local Red Wing authorized retailer yesterday. They did not have the Iron Rangers in stock. The closest style they had in stock was the Beckman, so I tried them on for size. Stiff and heavier boot, but atleast I got a feel for the sizing. MSRP on the Iron Ranger is $280. Amazon has them for $219.28 (22% off) with free shipping. Fantastic price! And they are sold and shipped directly from Amazon. I plan on ordering them from Amazon. If they are really not my thing, them I'll return them.

nice worn look doesnt mean comfortable to get this nice worn look result.
they break-in pretty hard for me since redwing has motto "built to last". the leather will smoother after 10-20 wear for me.

you should touch by your own hand so you can feel how hard the leather.

walds11

Reaction score
I received my Iron Rangers in the mail today. Quick and free shipping from Amazon (order placed on 9/4, shipped 9/5 and received today, 9/7). Great looking, bad a** boots!!! They look amazing with jeans. Heavy boots and will take some time to break in. Other than that, they are awesome.

Any recommendations on how I should treat the boots? I usually use a water resistant type of spray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads