• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Matte Male

Reaction score

I received my Iron Rangers in the mail today. Quick and free shipping from Amazon (order placed on 9/4, shipped 9/5 and received today, 9/7). Great looking, bad a** boots!!! They look amazing with jeans. Heavy boots and will take some time to break in. Other than that, they are awesome.

Any recommendations on how I should treat the boots? I usually use a water resistant type of spray.

I treat my amber harness IRs with Obenauf's LP occasionally, haven't touched my hawthorne pair with anything though. Treating these with a synthetic spray just seems like a sin to me for some reason.

walds11

Reaction score
I went with Kiwi mink oil because it is sold locally. I applied a coat on this afternoon. It darkened the leather just a little bit. The mink oil also softened up the leather, which is a plus and hopefully will speed up the breaking in process.

I received my Iron Rangers in the mail today. Quick and free shipping from Amazon (order placed on 9/4, shipped 9/5 and received today, 9/7). Great looking, bad a** boots!!! They look amazing with jeans. Heavy boots and will take some time to break in. Other than that, they are awesome.

Any recommendations on how I should treat the boots? I usually use a water resistant type of spray.

I treat my amber harness IRs with Obenauf's LP occasionally, haven't touched my hawthorne pair with anything though. Treating these with a synthetic spray just seems like a sin to me for some reason.

click here

Reaction score
I recently purchase this boot in Amber Harness and I'm a bit confused about what to apply. I got Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and Obenauf's Leather Oil? Which one should I apply?

alexa17

Reaction score

I recently purchase this boot in Amber Harness and I'm a bit confused about what to apply. I got Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and Obenauf's Leather Oil? Which one should I apply?

leather oil on first coat, LP on the second coat if you got both.

leather oil for dry weather, LP for wet weather

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the J.Crew "dark straw" is identical to what everyone else calls Hawthorne, but can anyone confirm?

Islander

Reaction score
Yeah it is the same.

XXX

DyN1H.jpg

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thanks!

There does appear to be one minor difference, in that the J.Crew version uses gunmetal eyelets and speed hooks vs. silver on the original.

Islander

Reaction score
This is true, mine are not from JCrew. They are ~2 years old and have only really been used for yard work and as a winter boot.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look freaking excellent.

NormanF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by caleb3221
It's not even on the Red Wing site. What's up with that?
It's part of the Red Wings European line that is not available in the US stores.

Footwear and clothing is exclusive to certain markets. But if you like it, like this Red Wing model, you can buy it outside the USA. With the Internet, the only restriction on "exclusive" nowadays isn't geography but price and availability.

Matte Male

Reaction score

This is true, mine are not from JCrew. They are ~2 years old and have only really been used for yard work and as a winter boot.

Once it starts staying around freezing I do not wear these boots, the lack of tread can cause some terrifying moments on ice and snow.

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
anyone know where i can get some long, thick leather laces to replace the old ones?

Islander

Reaction score

Once it starts staying around freezing I do not wear these boots, the lack of tread can cause some terrifying moments on ice and snow.

Probably true, winter here is mainly rain and slush.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finally ordered some hawthornes from nordstrom

will post once they are broken and awesome

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads