• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's a pair sz 9 that's pretty beat up like those at the top of the page for $30 at buffalo exchange in austin

hideout

Reaction score
damn, i wonder if it'd be worth having a too big pair to save all that money; i was thinking 8.5 would be the best size for me. i'm usually 8.5/9 (sometimes 9.5) and these run a little big, right?

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJTrance
UPDATE:

It's been a while since I owned this boot (maybe about a year now) and I don't wear it daily. See, the thing is that if I wear it tight, the tongue seems to dig into the front of my ankle. I have to wear it loose, but that is annoying as well. It only happens on the Rt foot. Is there anyway I can soften up the leather? Will using one of the leather conditioners help me achieve this? I feel like soaking it in some water for about 15 minutes, but I'm afraid that would destroy the boot. It looks great, though.

It's hurting your ankle because you're not caring for your boots. You gotta be oiling these monthly if you want to wear man boots. Set a reminder on your phone to go off once a month if you have to, but there's no reason these boots shouldn't last you the next 10-15 years with proper care.

Do not put water on them (any kind of water eventually breaks down leather, especially if you haven't been oiling them).

Originally Posted by hideout
damn, i wonder if it'd be worth having a too big pair to save all that money; i was thinking 8.5 would be the best size for me. i'm usually 8.5/9 (sometimes 9.5) and these run a little big, right?

If you've got a Red Wing Store nearby that carries these, I'd recommend trying them on. I'm a 12D but an 11.5D works for me. Prepare for a few weeks of beating up your feet once these break in but they become very comfortable. If you're wanting these for the long haul, then you should take the time to get the size that works for you because you won't be happy with ill-fitting ones after a few months.

handsometigers

Reaction score
bumping this. Any IR owners want to show us how your boots look now?
cheers.gif

Dellath

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the sizing runs on these compared to the 875s?
I was thinking of snapping up a pair and i currently got a pair of 8.5E 875's that run a little snug in the width (2 months wear and 3 obenauf's oil coats) and was told by a guy who runs the local Red Wings store in Melbourne, Australia; that the sizing of the 875's is off compared to the rest of the Red Wing range.
I also don't really wanna go back to ask him about sizing as i already got a fitting for the 875's and bought them online as he charges like $400 for a pair.
I'm currently eyeing off the 9.0D IRs, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

eczerwonka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by handsometigers
bumping this. Any IR owners want to show us how your boots look now?
cheers.gif

Worn for about 14 months 5-6 days a week commuting to work. Brushed to a shine weekly, polished with Kiwi neutral polish every couple of months or sooner if they really need it. Heavy coat of mink oil just before the rainy season. Black area on toe cap is from the rubber pad on my clutch and the black areas are from build up road tar and grime that just won't come off. I really wanted a pair of Indys and I still do but I'd be afraid to beat them up like I do these. I beat the hell out of these and after a brushing they come right back. As much as Indys cost I would be afraid to hurt them honestly. These IRs are pretty indestructible.
2010_oct_ir3.jpg
2010_oct_ir2.jpg
2010_oct_ir1.jpg
2010_oct_ir4.jpg

RecoveringChef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eczerwonka
Worn for about 14 months 5-6 days a week commuting to work. Brushed to a shine weekly, polished with kiwi natural every couple of months. Heavy coat of mink oil just before the rainy season. Black area on toe cap is from the rubber pad on my clutch and the black areas are from build up road tar and grime that just won't come off.

I really wanted a pair of Indys and I still do but I'd be afraid to beat them up like I do these. I beat the hell out of these and after a brushing they come right back. As much as Indys cost I would be afraid to hurt them honestly. These IRs are pretty indestructible.

What do you mean when you say polished with natural Kiwi? Are you referring to natural cream, or polish? What effect does the mink oil have on the leather?

RecoveringChef

Reaction score
I picked up a pair in Amber Harness online recently. After a bit of research on various forums, I decided to begin with a heavy dose of leather moisturizer initially, waited 24 hours to dry, then added a coat of neutral shoe cream. They might be a shade or less darker, but if anything I'd say they look even better. I imagine I'll continue this process as they start to break-in. I think that keeping the leather moist is going to be crucial. I'll continue to post pics monthly or so.

In the first picture, the boot on the left is new and untreated (the right boot), and the one on the right has one coat of moisturizer. The second picture shows the boots after the cream was applied 24 hours later.

007.jpg

022.jpg

eczerwonka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RecoveringChef
What do you mean when you say polished with natural Kiwi? Are you referring to natural cream, or polish? What effect does the mink oil have on the leather?

edited my post. I meant neutral polish, not natural. I just use tins of Kiwi in both neutral and the mink oil.

I wasn't going to search around town for Sno Seal or order it online so I just bought mink oil to waterproof them. It darkened them slightly but I also used some of my Barbour wax dressing on them as well so I can't really say. I just slopped a little bit of everything on them and then used a hair dryer to get it all to soak in hoping something worked.

I probably use the neutral polish and brush/polish them more than I realize. Old mil habits die hard.

Director Lawrence

Reaction score
Hi All - I am new to the forum. I first became interested in vintage style boots with a pair of Alden 405s (Indy Boots) that I bought years ago. I still wear them and they are pretty rugged as they are well traveled and going strong. I just picked up a pair of the Iron Ranger boots and must say - WOW! The leather seems twice as thick as the Indy Boots and I am sure that once broken-in they will be as comfortable. I just treated them straight out of the box with Huberd's Shoe Oil http://www.huberds.com/ and I'll give them another pass tomorrow. In the mean time though I am wearing them hoping the softening leather will form-fit to my foot. I dont think I'll post pics yet since they look like any new boot pics already available but I do intend to wear then often so I will report back as time goes by. Based on the great pics already posted I can see the are destine to develop character over time just like the Alden's...
In case anyone is interested here are the cheapest ones I have found http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=471370

Chubbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
^ Look like White's.

Thanks, I just checked their website and you're right. Their the Semi-Dress-Horoween Chrome Excels. Great looking boot.

Edit: Anyone know of a place to pick these up. Not sure I'm willing to pay full retail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics