Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

has anyone fucked with a pair of red wing iron ranger hawthorne (the rough cuts) without dubbing them? the guys at the RW store had a beat up pair that looked sick with denim indigo all over it and kinda dirty.... i was thinking about kopping... i have too many boots already though

also he recommended going down .5 size from the regular IRs since they stretch alot. I am a 11 in IRs and GTs (beckmans) but 10.5 in rough cut IRs. i need alot of width in my feet.

2. halisray

halisray Senior member

How do you find the soles working on ice/packed snow?

Not bad.. tough at times if it is really icy outside, but if its just snow then there are no problems.

What color are these? Amber or Russet?

Amber Harness

These take a beating but they are amazing. Put on a thin coat of Sno-Seal in November and haven't added anything on them since. No salt marks or anything.

3. illumin8em

illumin8em Senior member

has anyone fucked with a pair of red wing iron ranger hawthorne (the rough cuts) without dubbing them? the guys at the RW store had a beat up pair that looked sick with denim indigo all over it and kinda dirty.... i was thinking about kopping... i have too many boots already though

also he recommended going down .5 size from the regular IRs since they stretch alot. I am a 11 in IRs and GTs (beckmans) but 10.5 in rough cut IRs. i need alot of width in my feet.

They really told you this? I have never heard this before. I sized down too much and went with a 10 in amber harness, they length would have been ok, but sizing down like that throws the instep off too much for me.

4. Islander

Islander Senior member

This pair fits your description. Posted a few pages back.
    [​IMG]

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Anybody got a pic of Amber with obernaufs LP added? Worrying they'll lose the colour variation.

6. GQGiant

GQGiant Well-Known Member

here's my hawthorne iron rangers worn about 8 months
    [​IMG]

7. Russ24

Russ24 Well-Known Member

8. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

those are nice... rock some flannel and some rough cuts = super urban hipster worker [​IMG]

9. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Senior member

Have a brand new pair of size 11 amber iron rangers in the fs!

10. akmateo

akmateo Member

So I finally bought a new pair of Iron Rangers at the Red Wing store in Red Wing, MN. After having read how they run large, I was surprised find out that they fit true to size. I regularly wear a 10D in almost everything, with a few exceptions. I tried on a 9, 9.5, 10, and 10.5, and the 10D fit like a glove. They had several pairs in the basement bargain area (mostly factory seconds with very minor blemishes) that were marked down to just over $100.00. I will definitely be returning for another pair. Great boots!

11. Matte Male

Matte Male Active Member

Anybody got a pic of Amber with obernaufs LP added? Worrying they'll lose the colour variation.

I have a pair of amber that I treated with LP a few months ago, they got a little darker but it wasn't that noticeable, don't have a pic though.

12. JPP

JPP New Member

After 10 months of regular wear

[​IMG]

What are you guys cleaning rough-out leather with (if at all)? I have some black stains I can't seem to get rid; a suede bar didn't touch them.

Oh my god - these are fantastic. So great have been inspired to get a pair. But wanted to ask - with the Hawthorne should I use any form of protection on 'em? If mine can look like the above then I'll be a very happy man.

Did you use anything when you first got them?

Be grateful for any advice as mine have just arrived and not sure whether to put anything on them

Thanks all

J

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

What do you guys think of the J.Crew versions?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...7961/97961.jsp

Assuming they can be had for the same price - straw seems to be a bit darker than hawthorne? Basically looks like the 1 y.o. hawthorne someone posted above. And then there's the dark brown roughout. Also the eyelets on both are black instead of silver. Apart from that I can't see any real differences.

14. Jim Barns

Jim Barns Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of talk about them on the other SF.

The other style forum? Which one is that?