• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matte Male
After 10 months of regular wear

2q8zds2.jpg

What are you guys cleaning rough-out leather with (if at all)? I have some black stains I can't seem to get rid; a suede bar didn't touch them.

******* excellent. Do not touch those with any cleaner.

Matte Male

Reaction score
Originally Posted by burningbright
This:

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Pro...ing/index.html

Not sure if you had been using anything on them throughout their duration but I'd be interested to see what result this process would yield on boots as worn as those. If you do it, definitely post some before and after shots.

I have some Obenauf LP but don't plan on touching them with it, I like they way they're wearing aside from those black spots.

Mikey33

Reaction score
The pics of the 'Amber' ones look real nice but seem to be more brown than amber? How does the color show up in-person? Thinking of these or the Beckmans in Black Cherry.

jangie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mikey33
The pics of the 'Amber' ones look real nice but seem to be more brown than amber? How does the color show up in-person? Thinking of these or the Beckmans in Black Cherry.

My pair of 'Amber' is most definitely brown to my eyes. This picture matches the color of my specific pair, but seems lighter in shade (possibly due to lighting).

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Just saw The Town (Ben Affleck movie). I believe he is wearing black IRs in the film.

That's pretty sick; I think the black IRs are the best by far

Speaking of The Town, how was it? Did it warrant its 93% aggregate on Rotten Tomatoes?

RecoveringChef

Reaction score
So what do I need to do to preserve the pair of IR's I have coming in the mail tomorrow? I picked up a pair in Amber Harness. The finish of the leather is much different from the Hawthorne I've seen pictured in here.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RecoveringChef
So what do I need to do to preserve the pair of IR's I have coming in the mail tomorrow? I picked up a pair in Amber Harness. The finish of the leather is much different from the Hawthorne I've seen pictured in here.
Get some Obenauf's LP. Pretty sure you can use that on the Hawthornes, too.

halisray

Reaction score
I have a pair of IR Amber Harnesses and I use Bickmore's 100% pure neatsfoot oil. Put that stuff on monthly, works a treat.

Astronaut888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Just saw The Town (Ben Affleck movie). I believe he is wearing black IRs in the film.

I just got back from the movies........pointed that out to my wife

I believe she may think I'm gay for having noticed.

either way, nice boots

hideout

Reaction score
what is the best place to buy these? i see them on ebay for around $210 vs $270ish elsewhere but i'm hoping i can find a better price. should i just keep scouring ebay/b&s until a good one comes up?

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hideout
what is the best place to buy these? i see them on ebay for around $210 vs $270ish elsewhere but i'm hoping i can find a better price. should i just keep scouring ebay/b&s until a good one comes up?

Yeah, keep scouring unless you don't mind paying $200+ for a new pair. I found my Amber ones for $140 brand new on ebay.

Paying retail for these ($270+) though is ridiculous. May as well go the full distance and get some Alden's or some higher end Wolverine 1000 Miles at that price.

SJTrance

Reaction score
UPDATE:

It's been a while since I owned this boot (maybe about a year now) and I don't wear it daily. See, the thing is that if I wear it tight, the tongue seems to dig into the front of my ankle. I have to wear it loose, but that is annoying as well. It only happens on the Rt foot. Is there anyway I can soften up the leather? Will using one of the leather conditioners help me achieve this? I feel like soaking it in some water for about 15 minutes, but I'm afraid that would destroy the boot. It looks great, though.

Originally Posted by hideout

I got mine from ebay for around $214 shipped or so. That was the cheapest I found in the dark brown leather but I've seen the amber for much cheaper around. I really wanted the darker brown, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads