Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Ispy

Ispy Senior member

^^Boot specifically no, but leather yes. I have a pair of 1907 (moc-toe) and the rough and tough leather is very cool. It makes the boots a little more subtle (in look as opposed to feel) and has continued to evolve as the boots break in.

That said mine are still pretty new so they haven't broken in too far.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

does anyone have experience with this boot:

[​IMG]

sizing? worn pics? general review? Thanks

Just bought a pair. I have no idea what GS is talking about with the sizing as these come in wide sizes and don't seem to fit anything like the GT. The toe box is actually really roomy and wide, almost too wide. They are super comfy right out of the box and seem like they'll be a good city shoe. ALso the sole is less white than it seems in pictures, it has a slight cream to the color which is nice.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

mine are in D width and arent any wider than GTs. to me they fit EXACTLY like the 3 pairs of GTs i have. YMMV so whatever

4. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Yeah. mine are the EE but they did seem more true to length than the GT's but again I don't actually own any GT's so whatever.

5. Jimmyleaf

Jimmyleaf Well-Known Member

Hey GS, do you recommend any insoles for red wings boots. I'm always looking to improve fit and comfort for these shoes because it can get tiring wearing these heavy shoes all day. I have the Irish setter, iron ranger and the one just mentioned before.

6. jhoo04

jhoo04 Senior member

does anyone have experience with this boot:

[​IMG]

sizing? worn pics? general review? Thanks

Have these in black. I am a size 9.5 in every shoe pretty much, 42 in common projects and I wear a size 8.5 in Red Wings (including this one), fits me perfectly. Essentially one full size down. These are warm and water proof. The only problem with these is in the snow, NO TRACTION once the sole wears out [​IMG].

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Hey GS, do you recommend any insoles for red wings boots. I'm always looking to improve fit and comfort for these shoes because it can get tiring wearing these heavy shoes all day. I have the Irish setter, iron ranger and the one just mentioned before.

most insoles probably feel the same, but I use Dr Scholls gel insole, and I have a few Dr Marten insole which are shaped perfectly to fit inside DMs. tbh, I get whatever gel insole is on sale, and it just happens to usually be Dr Scholls. Dont get the cheap foam ones for $2, the gel ones that sell for $10ish are so much better and worth the 5x price

8. anteck7

anteck7 Member

9. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

Just bought a pair. I have no idea what GS is talking about with the sizing as these come in wide sizes and don't seem to fit anything like the GT. The toe box is actually really roomy and wide, almost too wide. They are super comfy right out of the box and seem like they'll be a good city shoe. ALso the sole is less white than it seems in pictures, it has a slight cream to the color which is nice.
    GS is right, according to Red Wing's heritage site the 9111 is built on the same last as the GT. From my experience with both boots I have to agree also. I wear 11.5Ds in GTs and tried on 11.5Ds in the 8181 round toe and felt they were pretty much the same fit (a little too narrow a little too long). I could comfortably wear an 11EE in both if it were available. On the other hand, I have no idea how people can size down a full size with either boot. My true dress shoe size is 11.5 and I know 11EE is the lowest I could go with any pair of Red Wings I've tried on.

10. zubin

zubin Senior member

thanks for all the responses!

could i bother anyone for fit pics? just wanna see what these look like with pants and what they look like when looking down at em. I cant figure out if they'll fit my steez or not

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

GS is right, according to Red Wing's heritage site the 9111 is built on the same last as the GT. From my experience with both boots I have to agree also. I wear 11.5Ds in GTs and tried on 11.5Ds in the 8181 round toe and felt they were pretty much the same fit (a little too narrow a little too long). I could comfortably wear an 11EE in both if it were available. On the other hand, I have no idea how people can size down a full size with either boot. My true dress shoe size is 11.5 and I know 11EE is the lowest I could go with any pair of Red Wings I've tried on.
    its size down 1 full size from sneaker size (example: nike running shoe size)... not dress shoe size. after that its size down 0.5 from your dress shoe size.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

GS is right, according to Red Wing's heritage site the 9111 is built on the same last as the GT. From my experience with both boots I have to agree also. I wear 11.5Ds in GTs and tried on 11.5Ds in the 8181 round toe and felt they were pretty much the same fit (a little too narrow a little too long). I could comfortably wear an 11EE in both if it were available.

On the other hand, I have no idea how people can size down a full size with either boot. My true dress shoe size is 11.5 and I know 11EE is the lowest I could go with any pair of Red Wings I've tried on.

Cool, i'll take a mulligan. I have wide feet and tend to focus on that. GT are narrow as fuck and don't come in wide sizes like the 9111 which are quite comfy and have plenty of toe room.

13. shasta

shasta Senior member

wedge soles look like you should be riding the short bus - like orthopedics or something

14. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

wedge soles look like you should be riding the short bus - like orthopedics or something

Since there's no distinct correlation between orthopedic shoes and "riding the short bus", I'm wondering if you should be riding the short bus.

15. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

What if I told you RW only produced 200 of them?