• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red and black plaid

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I know what happens in WAYWRN-peacock edition stays in WAYWRN-peacock, but we may be getting a bit inbred there . So some of the guys there encouraged me to get this SJ, other sounder minds advised against it. So now I'm looking for advice on what to wear it with. This is the best I've come up with, and I kind of like it with the jeans, popped collar, and fedora, and I'm even wondering if both buttons buttoned is OK? Perhaps a white shirt instead? beige jeans?Thanks in advance. Paul.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Before thinking about what to wear with it, are you happy with the fit?

Seems a bit too tight/lean across the chest (and probably waist). Not the most flattering on you, I think. If you're going to wear leery stuff, I reckon it has to fit near-perfectly to have a chance of pulling it off.

Sorry the 1st reply you're getting is a bit of downer.

Last edited:

PTWilliams

Reaction score

Before thinking about what to wear with it, are you happy with the fit?

Seems a bit too tight/lean across the chest (and probably waist). Not the most flattering on you, I think. If you're going to wear leery stuff, I reckon it has to fit near-perfectly to have a chance of pulling it off.

Sorry the 1st reply you're getting is a bit of downer.

Honest opinions are appreciated

JensenH

Reaction score
Fedora looks good, but it doesn't go with jeans -- which is too tight btw. And please, don't pop the collar.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dark gray pants, white shirt, black silk knit tie, white linen pocket square, black shoes and belt to look your best in it. Don't pop the collar and post a pic.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wish to wear it as a repellant or for gags, then try a slightly larger hat, (cocking the hat upward). keyhole framed or tortoise shell glasses (with clear lenses) and an ascot. A plain silk scarf may work. A cream pocket square will help break up that pattern somewhat. The only other accessory that comes to mind would be a bottle of beer or bag of popcorn.
Seriously, PT, you are one of my favourite personalities on SF, yet there is no point in trying to force something that is not working and I won't lie to you. This jacket is simply not you and never will be. I can't think of any animal in nature, on two legs or more, any gang, clan or tribe or any religious belief that will find this pattern even remotely kindred let alone attractive. Return it, burn it or get rid of it.

PTWilliams

Reaction score

If you wish to wear it as a repellant or for gags, then try a slightly larger hat, (cocking the hat upward). keyhole framed or tortoise shell glasses (with clear lenses) and an ascot. A plain silk scarf may work. A cream pocket square will help break up that pattern somewhat. The only other accessory that comes to mind would be a bottle of beer or bag of popcorn.
Seriously, PT, you are one of my favourite personalities on SF, yet there is no point in trying to force something that is not working and I won't lie to you. This jacket is simply not you and never will be. I can't think of any animal in nature, on two legs or more, any gang, clan or tribe or any religious belief that will find this pattern even remotely kindred let alone attractive. Return it, burn it or get rid of it.

Will do and thanks.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, isn't the pattern a pretty standard gun club check??

loarbmhs

Reaction score
No, do not button the bottom button. Buttoning both buttons on a two-button coat is never okay.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
P.S. To my previous post: And the shirt collar should go inside the jacket, not outside.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am with others here. That jacket and you are not meant for each other. Not saying the jacket is unworkable for all humanity, but for you it does not go no matter what pants or jeans you try to mix up with it. Nothing bad about you, just that some things work better for some people.

Jacket would also require you to emaciate yourself on a rabbit food diet - it is definitely one size too small and the sleeves a good inch short. I am almost certain you chose a shirt with a shorter sleeve length to try balance that jacket sleeve out (and to prevent an oversized amount of cuff showing).

I would definitely recommend looking at your shirt sleeve lengths as well if they all have the same length as that one. I presume not. In any case I would look at junking that shirt as well unless you plan to use it for gardening etc...

Still part of the learning experience, we are never too young or too old to go experimental and realize something does not work. Put the jacket back on sale on eBay and use the money as part of an investment into something interesting.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, isn't the pattern a pretty standard gun club check??

It is, but my concern is the harshness of the colours as well as the pattern. Not everyone can pull it off, in fact most men can't. Had these colours been earth tones it will work better with the OPs skin tones but then the overall effect is rather geezerly and way too old for him, especially in an urban setting.
PT....Perhaps a messenger bag may also soften the effect? or a soft shell briefcase or duffel bag...no I am wrong...I just don't see this working. I wonder where are the SF heavyweights and why they have not rung in as yet. They have skills far greater than my own.
:lurk:

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]Will do and thanks[/COLOR].

Wait....which part of it will you do? lol.. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads