• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for a very informal interview?

amdi8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If you already knew the answer to your question, or at least made up your mind, why post it in the first place? Surely you wouldn't go out and buy new shoes for a job interview this informal?

I knew that a suit was out of the question. I also knew that I didn't want to do shorts + tshirt + sandals. That's why I specifically asked about *informal* interview clothing.

Yes, I would go and buy a new pair of shoes because I need to buy them anyway, so I was hoping for some suggestions from the group.

Bill Brasky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I still don't quite get why "creative" means "we can dress like crap". I guess I'm just not creative enough.

Why are you equating not wearing a suit to "dressing like crap." Sadly most regular guys that wear suits, plus some that post pics of themselves here, I'd say "dress like crap." They have the right spirit and make a strong, wholehearted attempt however, fall short in balancing color, pattern, and fit.

I know many guys that work in "creative" fields such as entertainment, fashion, and music who never wear suits or wool trousers, and still manage to look magnificent and appropriate in their respective fields.

And to those who say you should ALWAYS wear a suit to an interview, I'd dare them to go apply for a top record label wearing a suit. Needless to say, there are just some places where you don't want to be labeled a "Suit."

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
I know many guys that work in "creative" fields such as entertainment, fashion, and music who never wear suits or wool trousers, and still manage to look magnificent and appropriate in their respective fields. And to those who say you should ALWAYS wear a suit to an interview, I'd dare them to go apply for a top record label wearing a suit. Needless to say, there are just some places where you don't want to be labeled a "Suit."
Creative people should be able to think up and get away with such amazing things with a suit, it's a loss to all of us that most of them never try. There are at least some pop musicians that seem to get it (eg: Sean Combs, Pete Doherty, Justin Timberlake), although we're obviously yet to see the Cary Grant of this generation. At the much less famous scale, creatives probably do more networking in the evenings than the rest of us, so they should be excelling in the What Are You Wearing This Evening thread. PS: Get Smart inspires me.
inlove.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Creative people should be able to think up and get away with such amazing things with a suit, it's a loss to all of us that most of them never try.

PS: Get Smart inspires me.
inlove.gif

too true. and Cheers for the nice comment!

Bill Brasky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Creative people should be able to think up and get away with such amazing things with a suit, it's a loss to all of us that most of them never try. There are at least some pop musicians that seem to get it (eg: Sean Combs, Pete Doherty, Justin Timberlake), although we're obviously yet to see the Cary Grant of this generation. At the much less famous scale, creatives probably do more networking in the evenings than the rest of us, so they should be excelling in the What Are You Wearing This Evening thread.

PS: Get Smart inspires me.
inlove.gif

Where do you live, or where have you observed this? In New York there are plenty of people that do creative things with suits, in the same spirit as Get Smart.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live, or where have you observed this? In New York there are plenty of people that do creative things with suits, in the same spirit as Get Smart.
You're the one who made the observation!
I know many guys that work in "creative" fields such as entertainment, fashion, and music who never wear suits or wool trousers
And I'm sure there are "plenty", but are there enough?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads