• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a pair of hiking boots, budget $400

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I placed an order for the Paraboots today, in brown, through Pediwear.

paraboot-avoriaz-mountaineering-boots.jpg

Originally Posted by cet2119
Pediwear is waiting for restocking the Avoriaz. According to the email they sent me, you will have to wait till mid January .

Was this right after you placed the order? I placed my order earlier today and got an instant email confirming the order. But it also said that I would receive a follow up email with the expected delivery date (which i havent received yet...)

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been wearing these in the rain/snow. Today was in the mid 20s with overnight lows in the teens
ffffuuuu.gif
timberland-abington-2010-fall-winter-hiker-gore-tex.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a nice pleasant chill. What was the occasion for the hiking boots?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
danne54239_41875_jb.jpg

Like these as well...but cant seem to find them in any other color. Ideally would like them in reddish-brown.

Here:

danner_jcrew_1.jpg

@ robin: how's the sizing on those? TTS?

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Here:

danner_jcrew_1.jpg

I saw those in the new Jcrew catalog. Almost ended up getting them but went with the Paraboots instead. Now if the Paraboots are on back order, like someone earlier mentioned, I may go with those.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Here:

@ robin: how's the sizing on those? TTS?

True to size on me, and so far they're doing pretty well in snow and ice conditions.

fyi, jcrew is having a sale right now with code TURKEY for 25% off and it works on the danner boots.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
True to size on me, and so far they're doing pretty well in snow and ice conditions.

fyi, jcrew is having a sale right now with code TURKEY for 25% off and it works on the danner boots.

Thanks for the info; I wasn't sure since J.Crew recommends 'ordering a half size down from your usual size.'

Btw, Inventory Magazine's Stockroom is filled with your kind of merch.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Danner is doing a F&F sale on their website, just for today. Use code GOODFRIEND for 50% and free shipping.

Kark

Reaction score
Some good points made. Notably about hiking boots being somewhat uncomfortable for town/campus use and the issue with the soles being pretty slippy in the cold. Light hikers could work though.

OP, If your heart is set on hiking boots, check out Zamberlan. I've got thirteen years on mine (but I only really use them for hiking) and I suspect they'll be around to go to my son when I'm dead.

For general winter use though, I find blundstones entirely suitable and they have amazing ice and snow traction.
The sorels are great boots for icefishing and snowmobiling but all kinds of overkill for around town unless you've got circulation / cold feet problems.

edit, I'm in Ottawa. we see some snow.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to get in on the danner F&F sale. But the web site kept crashing. And when I tried to order the next day, the code was expired.

Pediwear is back ordered on the paraboot. But I managed to snag a pair through Oki-Ni in red.
http://4m.scene7.com/is/image/4m/par...neering%20Boot
I received them a few days ago and cant wait to wear them once we get some snow.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most important thing about hiking boots is fit. It doesn't matter how the boot looks if it does not fit. Go to REI or something like that and have someone size up your feet.

If you don't care about the fit (ie not going to use the boots for anything else) then just get something you like with Goretex or add a waterproofing product.

If you are just using it for Michigan winters, you could consider looking at lower ankle goretex trail runners, much lighter and more comfortable. Have friends in Michigan who prefer them to boots.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kark
Some good points made. Notably about hiking boots being somewhat uncomfortable for town/campus use and the issue with the soles being pretty slippy in the cold. Light hikers could work though.

OP, If your heart is set on hiking boots, check out Zamberlan. I've got thirteen years on mine (but I only really use them for hiking) and I suspect they'll be around to go to my son when I'm dead.

For general winter use though, I find blundstones entirely suitable and they have amazing ice and snow traction.
The sorels are great boots for icefishing and snowmobiling but all kinds of overkill for around town unless you've got circulation / cold feet problems.

edit, I'm in Ottawa. we see some snow.

And good point on the boots being slippery. Just remembered North Face had some snow boots/shoes with ice traction on the bottom, maybe check out their site?

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
I like these a lot!
ships-general-supply-danner-horween-light-02.jpg

Guess they are some kind of collab and only available via japan.

danne54239_41875_jb.jpg

Like these as well...but cant seem to find them in any other color. Ideally would like them in reddish-brown.

Visited the Danner Factory Store over the weekend and tried both of these Mountain Lights, as well as several others (even had the ML-J.Crew collab in stock - for $165). They actually stock several styles from 'Danner Japan,' which are boots Made in Portland, Oregon specifically for sale in Japan (so I don't think they're technically collabs, although I didn't get all the specifics about how the materials & styling are determined).

The sole on the Mountain Light is much more flexible than I expected, and the leather is (as expected) great quality -- it softens with wear and they do stretch a bit, width-wise, with age (not uncommon - Red Wings do too). The toes are harder than the rest of the foot area but not steel. Just about every employee was wearing them and each one I asked vouched for the comfort of the Mountain Light, even when you're on your feet all day.

The profile of these boots is not huge. The D width version is reputed to fit more narrowly than some boots, which gives it a more clean appearance than boots you'll find from other companies (which look more suitable for probing the South Pole). The have EE width too. I think the Mountain Light II is a great option for city/campus as a winter walker.

After an hour and a half of trying everything in the store I ended up with a pair of Danner Japan Mountain Lights (size 10 instead of my usual 11) - olive suede (yet gortex & thus waterproof) with a white vibram 'Cristy' sole.

pdxpm

Reaction score
I personally like the Danner boots myself. I also picked up a pair of Danner Japan boots a few weeks back that were factory seconds. The ones I bought had a very tiny nick in the leather on the inside of the toe. The Danner Japan boots are all made on their EE or wide lasts because the asian foot market tends to demand wider fits. This works fine for me because their normal last tends to run narrow per my experience. I was abel to size down from a 10.5 to a 10. I find they are very comfortable for a full day without a problem especially now that the are starting to get broken in. Attached is a photo of the ones I bought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads