• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a fragrance?

Transcendental

Reaction score
Winter: Angel Men, strong but very good

Summer: The market is flooded with cool, aqua scents, I think Davidoff is still around, but I'm not sure how many people still wear it..probably a lot more than you're looking for..but there are plenty to choose from.

agp

Reaction score
Does anyone have any inputs on the Light Blue? It seems very interesting. I love the women's Light Blue and how they smell on female, and I hope the male one will be just as good.

Casey

Reaction score
If you're looking for a scent that's NOT similar to other ones in the market, I think you should try Prada Infusion d'Homme. I had just mentioned it in another thread, but to most people, it may initially seem dry and bitter. However as time goes by, the scent becomes more light and clean. Also, it stays close to the skin so if you're working out, the smell will probably not kill the person next to you.

Strangely enough, after using this fragrance, I think everything else is too strong or too boring.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agp
I find myself disappointed in many fragrances in today's market, most of them, dare I be ignorant, smell very similar. I just bought Guerlain's Vetiver, and it smells like many of fragrances I've tried in the past. And I have to say, I'm not a big fan.

Can you recommend me one I can wear in the Spring or Summer? I'm looking for something that smells similar to Aqua Di Gio... something sweet yet fresh. Two fragrances I have loved and still do love are Aqua Di Gio and The Dreamer by Versace. I usually wear the former in warm weather, and the ladder in colder ones.

Hanae Mori is one of my favorites! Here are a few others - http://www.themensroom.com/gifts/smell-good/

Krymson86

Reaction score
Great fragrences for varying weather

Summer/Spring:
Acqua Di Gio (Yes, everyone and their cousin has it)
Polo Blue
Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise (Really great scent. And not a lot of people have it)
Thierry Mugler Mugler (Yeah, it's a "unisex" fragrence, but it smells good)
D&G Light Blue

Fall/Winter (Colder Temperatures)
Armani (Black) Code (It used to be called Black Code, not it's just Code I guess)
Jean Paul Gaulthier Le Male (It's a little more versatile than just for cold weather, but definitely a night time cologne. Seriously unfair, I feel like I'm coated in cat nip for girls when I wear this. Girls really seem to like it a lot is basically what I'm saying)
Zegna Intenso

auto_pilot

Reaction score
Fragrance is a very personal thing; and they tend to smell different once they are on the person versus in the bottle. Best bet is to go to a department store (Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, come to mind) bring a friend with a trusted nose and start spraying.

I've done this formula many times...works like a charm. Although I will say, she likes scents that I wouldn't normally choose for myself...And rare that we can come to one we both like.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Polo Double Black, Burberry Weekend, and Yves St. Laurent L'homme ...also I prefer to mix and match
smile.gif

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recommend me a evening scent that is not sweet or has musk basenotes ( well, a little bit of musk is fine, but not too much)

Something spicy, woody or tobacco-centered would be nice.

Thanks.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Recommend me a evening scent that is not sweet or has musk basenotes ( well, a little bit of musk is fine, but not too much) Something spicy, woody or tobacco-centered would be nice. Thanks.
I'm an old snort so you can take this with a grain of salt...I don't like unisex scents. I don't want to smell like a flower or something you'd put in a pie...fruit, spices, whatever. I like earthy smells and smells that remind me of timeless skills and pleasures. I like Yatagan by Caron. It's unique, it smells good on me and doesn't make people look for the lace at my cuff. Creed's Tabarome Millesime is good, as is Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano. And one of my all time favourites is Eau du Fier by Annick Goutal. If you are at all like me and want a fragrance that is distinctive, masculine and not likely to be co-opted by your wife or daughter in the near future, any one of these will suit. BTW, there is a site on the internet--The Perfumed Court--that does decants from around the world and from the best houses in the world. These are all authentic and you can purchase samples as small as 1 milliliter. Best of all you can search among literally thousands of brands for specific notes such as tobacco or oak moss or smoke or leather...or roses, if that's your thing.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Recommend me a evening scent that is not sweet or has musk basenotes ( well, a little bit of musk is fine, but not too much) Something spicy, woody or tobacco-centered would be nice. Thanks.
CdG Man 2 (spicy!) Havana (Aramis) (double spicy) Giorgio Red for Men (triple spicy, warm, and quit nice at a discount price) Creed Tabarome (tobacco/gentlemanly) TDC Bois d'iris (woody, crisp, clean, but not sweet, with the best iris note around)

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeCaloFashion1
I recently have become a fan of Tommy Bahama.

I've been wanting to try this.

I also like just about everything by Creed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads