• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommend me a black dress vest?

unknown00

Reaction score
i plan to wear a black vest on my bday but dunno what brand nor where to get it. i own 0 vests

i plan to wear white button down, black slacks, black vest, black skinny tie for my bday

i don't want like a suit/tux vest, just a casual vest

Lovellum

Reaction score
Do you mean a vest as in 3-piece suit vest of sweater vest?

Because if it is the former, and you plan on wearing it with black trousers, they better be from the same suit.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, and after you get off of your shift at the restaurant what are you going to do for your bday?

Dburr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unknown00
i plan to wear a black vest on my bday but dunno what brand nor where to get it. i own 0 vests

i plan to wear white button down, black slacks, black vest, black skinny tie for my bday

i don't want like a suit/tux vest, just a casual vest

White patent leather horse bit loafers would complete your look.

Lovellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unknown00
seriously...

What you are asking for does not exist, at least not with any sense of style. A black casual vest worn with black trousers? You're going to look like a waiter.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I have a handful of vests (waistcoats) and the look you're going for is quite simple to do and people respond really well to it.

First though - you cannot wear black slacks and a black vest unless they are part of the same suit. If you bought a 3-piece suit you can do this, otherwise, don't.

If you get a suit-cut stand alone vest, you need to wear it with denim. (as shown). If you get a thicker, textured vest, you could wear it with slacks or denim. Do not wear suit-cut vests with anything but denim, it will look marsupialed. There is no negotiation on that.

Vest - Kenneth Cole New York (about $25 on sale)
Shirt - Banana Republic
Jeans - Diesel
Tie - unknown

Dress it up with a light pocket-square if it feels too boring.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Express also sells vests but are overpriced and boxy. I would stick with Kenneth Cole and J.Crew as they're much slimmer cut and can be had at deep discount if you time it right.

This is probably more streetwear than mens style.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still looks like a waiter. Also, ChicagoJohn, zip/button up your fly.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Still looks like a waiter. Also, ChicagoJohn, zip/button up your fly.

+1 on both accounts.

I'm not sure how I like the whole "vest as casual wear thing" though I have a few. But never, ever a black vest unless you want to look like a waiter.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
I have a handful of vests (waistcoats) and the look you're going for is quite simple to do and people respond really well to it.

First though - you cannot wear black slacks and a black vest unless they are part of the same suit. If you bought a 3-piece suit you can do this, otherwise, don't.

If you get a suit-cut stand alone vest, you need to wear it with denim. (as shown). If you get a thicker, textured vest, you could wear it with slacks or denim. Do not wear suit-cut vests with anything but denim, it will look marsupialed. There is no negotiation on that.

Vest - Kenneth Cole New York (about $25 on sale)
Shirt - Banana Republic
Jeans - Diesel
Tie - unknown

Ah, the douche waiter, or garcon-douche, as he is known in France. Your thoughts on denim are also laughably primitive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads