• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a Wine For Me to Bring to Dinner

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd probably pick up a Montes Alpha Cab Sauv for around $16, or some Rosso di Montalcino for $20-25. Both are wines I love that most people would enjoy. I like the Champagne idea as well, and don't rule out the idea of dessert wine or even a desertif like Lemoncello. I doubt they have different after dinner drink already planned, and most people would appreciate you introducing them to something they've never tried (assuming they aren't particularly cultured).

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I like the champagne suggestion. Champagne makes any occassion special. Some of the newer rose champagnes / sparkling wines would be a nice option.

I was thinking about bringing a bottle of champagne in addition to the wine

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
+1 Champagne...excellent suggestion!
Agreed, but I didn't think it would fit in the budget. Most decent bottles start at $30. You could just do what an old friend of mine does, which is to bring a nice bottle of Tequila and a bag of limes to every party he goes to.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
+1. We almost never serve wine that people bring over. Sometimes we try to serve it the next time they come, if we can remember.

If you want to bring somethng they will use, bring Champagne and open it for aperitifs.

I agree -- but this is not bringing wine for a dinner party, this is bringing wine for the GF. I think its implied that they'll be drinking it, unless she's very sophisticated about that sort of thing, ie. a critic.

rambo, the Carmenere is pretty distinctive like a Merlot, but with a little more fruit and a little less tannin, yet it has some backbone, unlike some of the Aussie Shirazes. Idler described the Tavel pretty well -- the idea was to pick a sweeter rose (the d'Anjou) and a drier rose (the Tavel) depending on the OP and his GF's taste.

~ Huntsman

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually if you read my original post the wine was not for my girlfriend (she actually seldom ever drinks), rather it was for a dinner her friend invited us to. Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up bringing a red, and a champange.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
Actually if you read my original post the wine was not for my girlfriend (she actually seldom ever drinks), rather it was for a dinner her friend invited us to. Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up bringing a red, and a champange.
Good call. I actually like the variety route because some are way too picky about what they drink.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
Agreed, but I didn't think it would fit in the budget. Most decent bottles start at $30.

You could just do what an old friend of mine does, which is to bring a nice bottle of Tequila and a bag of limes to every party he goes to.

You don't need "Champagne" for a bubbly start to the evening. You can get a nice Proseco, or a bottle of Gruet (NM sparkler) for $12 - 13...
cheers.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
You don't need "Champagne" for a bubbly start to the evening. You can get a nice Proseco, or a bottle of Gruet (NM sparkler) for $12 - 13...
cheers.gif

Make sure you know your crowd before you bust out the Proseco. I tried bringing it to a party of non-wino's and they looked at it like I'd picked it up at the duty free shop on the way in from Naples. Their looks said "Why's he bringing us cheap Italian champagne". I don't think most people know what Proseco actually is. Cheap champagne probably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads