1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Was planning to go to the on by the bridge (no idea what DUMBO is).

Do you think it is too much? Should i save moma for friday?

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

And to be clear....she wants to see the outdoor 9/11 Memorial vs the 9/11 Museum, right? If she wants to see the Museum, you need to get tickets asap.
    I would take her through Times Sq in the evening when it is all lit up. During the day it's not that flashy.

3. oneeightyseven

Yeah she wants to go the outdoors. Good call on times sq in evening. That frees up my day time a bit.

Also, how much are cabs typically? Exorbitant? Or reasonable?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

That schedule is way too busy. Pick one, maybe two, museums. Like all great cities, New York is best enjoyed when you have time to explore the unexpected and soak in the vibe. Zooming from site to site isn't the right way, if you ask me.

Also, if everything you're doing is in Manhattan, why stay in Brooklyn?

5. oneeightyseven

The reason i chose brooklyn (particularly williamsburg) was because on the saturday i will be getting tattooed pretty much all day in 2 separate shops in brooklyn. Id rather a short trek on that day and longer on the other days.

Also chose williamsburg because it is very close to manhattan and directly in between both shops. This and momofuku are basically the reasons im in nyc lol

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

DUMBO(Down Under the Manhattan bridge Overpass.)

It is the area where you can take some great pics of both the Manhattan & Bklyn bridges and also the NYC skyline from the Brooklyn Promenade(in Brooklyn Heights which is the next neighborhood over..literally on top of each other), Brooklyn Bridge Park or find the entrance to walk over the Bklyn Bridge back to the city(better views that way.)

Yep. I think 3 major museums in a wknd is too much.....let alone 1 day.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That ^^.

8. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Do Burger Joint instead of Shake Shack. Show up at 11:15AM. Way too much stupid asshole hype at Shake Shack.

Check out Bergdorf Goodman (mens).

Go to Sheeps Meadow @ Central Park. Wear sunglasses so you can stare at tits and asses.

Go to shitty bars like Kettle of Fish after dinner.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Do you have that many friends?

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Make sure you check out Time Out NY next wed to see if there is anything happening when you are here. It's a great resource.

http://www.timeout.com/newyork

They always post a wknd guide. Loads of free/not free indoor/outdoor stuff in there.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Cabs are reasonable(NY wise.) But to be honest, the subway is the way to go. Don't come to NYC and not take the subway,
    It's safe/cheap/efficient and in NYC, it;s the way to go.

12. mafoofan

My favorite burger place in the city is Primeburger in Midtown, at 51st between 5th and Madison. No stupid lines. No idiot hype.

13. oneeightyseven

Now we're talking!

All jokes aside, thanks forall your help guys. I will amend my schedule accordingly

14. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I agree with everyone that 3 museums is too many in 1 day. No way you would get to see or appreciate everything in each one. I think 2 at the most, and that's plenty.

The subway is the best form of transportation unless you're going to or coming from LGA/JFK. Cab would be the best bet there (no subways at the airports).

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

This week's NYmag has a feature on burgers. SS isn't worth the wait.

Once you're tattooed in Wllmsbg you may need a visa to get into Manhattan. You should check.

lefty

16. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

An option for Sat during lunch time in W-Burg:

http://brooklynflea.com/markets/smorgasburg/

If your GF has never been to NY, she may like the outdoor flea down by the water.

It can get crowded and the lines for the popular vendors can get a little long, but you can have a beer and some food and just chill for a few hours. Just something different for the first time visitor.

(I am not co-signing...I have only been to the one at Brooklyn Bridge Park. But if it is a nice day, it's a good time.)

17. oneeightyseven

Thankfully I saved it for the last day!

I'll fit right in with the hipsters of williamsburg though!

18. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Check this out for stuff to do to fill in some time....

http://www.theskint.com

I know that you have 3 museums on your agenda....but it's Summer in NYC. You could be outside just enjoying the weather and walking around. So many things that are happening(I saw Chaka Khan last night for free in Prospect Park(Bklyn.)

Like Foo said, the best way to see nYc is just giving yourself enough time to explore.

Walk around SOHO and Greenwich Village(both neighborhoods in Manhattan.) Check out Washington Sq Park(also in the Village) on Saturday. Walk around DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg.

I would be hard pressed to commit myself to 3 museums. for a wknd trip. 1 would be pushing it for me.

19. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

My understanding is that cabs are mostly for tourists, like the horse-drawn carriages in Central Park. Uber from Williamsburg to midtown.

You don't like it, the Groping Elmo? :confused:

20. mafoofan

I dunno. There are always a lot of idiot tourists on the subway. No tourists ever bother me when I'm in a car.