• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really dumb & rude comments from customers

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
I like and admire most of the wines you mention below. However, in my homestate of Delaware, I must purchase wines from a distributor. The distributors who sell these products, IMHO, do not properly ship, store and transport them. I refuse to purchase wines that were shipped in unrefrigerated containers from overseas, sent to an unrefrigerated warehouse, and delivered in an unrefrigerated truck.

As soon as I can purchase these when I am comfortable they were properly stored, I will purchase them and offer them to my customers, assuming they are good values. With the weak dollar, IMHO, many French and other Eurpoean wines are not very good values these days.

So is there a lack of people distributing wines w/ proper shipping methods in the states? or just delaware?

cuffthis

Reaction score
This happens to most wine. In order to cut costs and keep product cheaper, most wine is shipped in unrefrigerated containers. Scary.

There are exceptions. That's why I only buy from certain distributors. Refrigeration is very important.

Originally Posted by Toiletduck
So is there a lack of people distributing wines w/ proper shipping methods in the states? or just delaware?

horton

Reaction score
Somewhat off topic: One of my favorite wine stories was relayed from a friend who went on one of the wine tours in Cal. The guide is suggesting various wine/food pairings, e.g., cab with braised short ribs etc.

Someone asks quite seriously what goes with white zinfindel. The guide pauses (perhaps to consider if the request was serious) and then in the most haughty voice says "chicken mcnuggests"

Regarding votives: I don't like it when we order a nice bottle of wine and then the wait staff parks the bottle right next to the votive. Obviously wouldn't complain about it, but the staff should know better (unless of course you were ordering mulled wine)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Q:What would you have with a white zinfandel?

A: A 16-year-old who doesn't know any better.

But there are probably a few out there that don't suck. And zins aside, some rosÃ
00a9.png
can be very nice. Had a good one from Domaine Arlot a few weeks ago when it was so hot, made from declassified Nuits-St-Georges.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't zinfandel just some foreign word meaning "strawberry farm"?

wpeters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
Refrigeration is very important.

I'm new to decent wine, and I've ordered a case from a producer that I really like in California. They said that they'll overnight it, and I had assumed that between the low temps at altitude and the presumably good packaging by the producer, I should be fine.

Should I be worried?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably not, unless (a) they are shipping it through a heat wave, or (b) this wine is for long-term aging. A truck through Death Valley, now...

cuffthis

Reaction score
I would wait until the fall to ship it. Why risk it?

Originally Posted by wpeters
I'm new to decent wine, and I've ordered a case from a producer that I really like in California. They said that they'll overnight it, and I had assumed that between the low temps at altitude and the presumably good packaging by the producer, I should be fine.

Should I be worried?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really tried any white zins when living in the US, always thought them somewhat like kool ade... But since moving here I have had a few Roses which have been quite drinkable on a nice summer day. Does anyone have any experience in comparing / differentiating the two?

I dont know really the difference... Only that they are the same color. Seems odd that something that is relegated to %&*^# in the US is widely appreciated here... Especially when Americans think that Europeans know wine

K

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
I'd like to know where I can find a Montrachet for the same price as a Chablis 1er Cru.
Really.

!luc

La Croix de Pierre Puligny-Montrachet 2001 = 30 GBP
2001 Chassagne Montrachet, 1er Cru, Les Vides, G&P Jouard = 30 GBP
Chablis 1er Cru, Les Lys, Domaine Daniel-Etienne Defaix 1999 = 30 GBP

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
La Croix de Pierre Puligny-Montrachet 2001 = 30 GBP
2001 Chassagne Montrachet, 1er Cru, Les Vides, G&P Jouard = 30 GBP
Chablis 1er Cru, Les Lys, Domaine Daniel-Etienne Defaix 1999 = 30 GBP

Except there is a clear area definition for Montrachet, which is equally divided between the communes of Chassagne-Montrachet and Puligny-Montrachet. Le Montrachet is a AOC Grand Cru, of roughly 6 ha and a handful of producers. It's hard to find a bottle priced under 150 euros.
I admit burgundy can be quite tricky for newcomers.

!luc

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Except there is a clear area definition for Montrachet, which is equally divided between the communes of Chassagne-Montrachet and Puligny-Montrachet. Le Montrachet is a AOC Grand Cru, of roughly 6 ha and a handful of producers. It's hard to find a bottle priced under 150 euros.
I admit burgundy can be quite tricky for newcomers.

!luc

Looking through my tasting notes, I've tried a Le Montrachet AOC Grand Cru (RomanÃ
00a9.png
e-Conti), it was probably wasted because I did not rate it any better than the Puligny Montrachet, Les Enseignères Domaine Jean François Coche Dury...
Part of taste is conscious, I find.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads