• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-visiting the black blazer?

millevanille

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty coming up with some good fashion-forward alternatives to a black blazer. Being in the creative field, I'm running into problems choosing odd jackets with an interesting look. I think the black blazer stylishly tailored would be the obvious choice, but I do agree that black is kind of a harsh color for daytime wear--it just looks too contrasting.

Grey jackets that I've seen appear too "blah" and I need to break out beyond the blue jackets I already own. Earth tones to me are too warm--not the look I'm going for. And plaids/windowpanes are often too car salesmanish--though I wouldn't rule those out.

Checking this outfit out certainly has me thinking a deep purple could be a good option. What other options, besides the ubiquitous black blazer seen on so many creative types, would be a good choice for a smart, professional, stylish look?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millevanille

Checking this outfit out certainly has me thinking a deep purple could be a good option

fistbump.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a recent meeting with a tailor from Naples they recommended brown. Navy was too "ho hum", grey had been done to death and they were bored with purples as accents. I saw a fair amount of very interesting browns in tweeds, rich linens. I especially liked a medium tweed brown with a purple over plaid.

But, if you want a dark solid, but want to avoid black and navy, why not try very dark greens. I saw some in Milan last fall in wool and corduroy that looked quite nice. Great paired with a blue shirt, jeans and a scarf.

One SFer, when I first met him wore a dark brown velvet jacket paired with jeans and a white shirt. Nice look.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty coming up with some good fashion-forward alternatives to a black blazer. Being in the creative field, I'm running into problems choosing odd jackets with an interesting look. I think the black blazer stylishly tailored would be the obvious choice, but I do agree that black is kind of a harsh color for daytime wear--it just looks too contrasting.

Grey jackets that I've seen appear too "blah" and I need to break out beyond the blue jackets I already own. Earth tones to me are too warm--not the look I'm going for. And plaids/windowpanes are often too car salesmanish--though I wouldn't rule those out.

Checking this outfit out certainly has me thinking a deep purple could be a good option. What other options, besides the ubiquitous black blazer seen on so many creative types, would be a good choice for a smart, professional, stylish look?

Where are you and how much will you spend ?
Jay Kos in New York has beautiful well- tailored jackets
that come in interesting colors/patterns.
They have more that what's in their website.

http://www.jaykos.com/

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spring/summer or Fall/winter?

For spring think the opposite end from black. Plenty of non grey light jackets. Cream or even bright blue.

For fall/winter cord jackets or velvet if fitted well even in earth tones.

millevanille

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by pvrhye
Really? I think grey always looks more bold than navy.

More bold? I dunno. Grey is cool. I guess I'm looking for some inspiration. I can just think of two recent appointments where folks were wearing mid/dark grey jackets--looked terrible.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
fistbump.gif

Hey man--back atcha'!
fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
In a recent meeting with a tailor from Naples they recommended brown. Navy was too "ho hum", grey had been done to death and they were bored with purples as accents. I saw a fair amount of very interesting browns in tweeds, rich linens. I especially liked a medium tweed brown with a purple over plaid.

But, if you want a dark solid, but want to avoid black and navy, why not try very dark greens. I saw some in Milan last fall in wool and corduroy that looked quite nice. Great paired with a blue shirt, jeans and a scarf.

One SFer, when I first met him wore a dark brown velvet jacket paired with jeans and a white shirt. Nice look.

Yeah that's interesting. I try to avoid brown/greens, but in very dark shades, I agree that might be an option. I question corduroy or velvet in a business casual setting, but that might be my lack of vision.

Originally Posted by comrade
Where are you and how much will you spend ?
Jay Kos in New York has beautiful well- tailored jackets
that come in interesting colors/patterns.
They have more that what's in their website.

http://www.jaykos.com/

Some of those are interesting. I'm due in New York in the near future would be worth checking out. Unfortunately I'm trying to keep things to B&S prices, but could be swayed by the right piece.

Originally Posted by Nicola
Cream or even bright blue.

Yes I'm exploring these options. I just want to balance more toward business and less like I'm dining at the resort. Again some visual inspiration would help.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
fistbump.gif

thats a slick jacket spoo. I gotta say, not crazy about the shoes though...and no DJ or Sub or bracelets?!
wink.gif
hehe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads