• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RATE: Summer Street Fashion in Daikanyama, JAPAN

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its the sunglassses that bother me the most. He could get away with the tie although I still think the idea is silly. There's just too much effort overall although the pieces are all good individually. Too much of a good thing, in other words. I'd probably ask him: Was there a point, when you were getting dressed, when you said to yourself: "thats enough"? Not to be a bore but I think part of the fine art of dressing to be noticed is knowing when to stop. Just my 20 euro cents.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As others have said, it's a very Japanese look that I don't think has filtered outside its shores yet (and maybe it never will). Walking around any major Japanese city, you'd see any fifty guys wearing something similar, with varying degrees of success.

Though I also agree that I could never wear this in a million years, what I like about Japanese youth culture and especially their take on fashion is that they are completely unconcerned with the "rules" that we around these parts take so seriously. They might match a pair of military cargoes with a navy Borrelli jacket, a pair of Vivienne Westwood shoes with toes so pointy they could cut glass, a pink tank top, and a Kiton seven fold tie... and somehow look okay in it.

Nevertheless, one shouldn't say that being "Unconcerned" with the rules equates being ignorant of them, as some of the major trad companies are either owned (J PRess, for example) by Japanese companies or wildly popular there (Alden, BB). Not to mention that Japanese men's fashion magazines leave ours in the dust (Men's Ex or Uomo or Leon vs. GQ or Details? NO thanks...) A lot of these kids know the rules... they just don't care or, more aptly, they modify them to do what they want (lots of discussions with my college students have confirmed this... they know a lot more about fashion than their typical American counterparts).

Nevertheless, there is a freedom of dress and a freedom for men to accessorize with bags that we just don't have. I have a lot of man-purses from my time in Japan... wonderful things made from lots of exotic animals (j/k)... and now that I'm back in the USA, they just sit in my closet and wait until I go back to Tokyo each summer.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this individual enjoys fashion, likes to dress up or down, and understands the importance of color, rhythm and proportion. The red rims on his glasses are striking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads