• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random food thoughts - Street edition

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know what season Anthony Bourdain started his questionable tirades into cultures and governments, but I ignore all of that for the sake of just enjoying the sights. Still an entertaining show though

I am partial to Andrew Zimmern myself. I wish they would quit this American tour stuff and go back to traveling the world again (loved his taste of the tropics episode, namibia, trinidad and tobago, and syria among others)

Do you find it they depict your country's food well in these shows, every time they go to Cuba I think what? thats not how it's like (wouldn't be as entertaining if they did I guess haha)

I think they do a pretty decent job. And plus you have to remember. for a foreign white American he ventures pretty far off.
I like Andrew Zimmerman too. I think those are about the only 2 food shows I can watch these days. Food Network is full of douches.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really? You're unable to fathom why somebody might derive more pleasure in life knowing that animals aren't being slaughtered just for their own food supply than the pleasure from eating the meat itself?

Don't get me wrong, I am not in that camp, but I can certainly understand why some people would arrive at this decision.

Edit: Regarding Indian food, I'm surprised that you don't feel satisfied longer. When I go down to my mother-in-laws most of the dishes (all of which are vegetarian) usually have healthy helping of ghee. Then when all is said and done it's ample amounts of full fat yogurt over some rice and spicy pickle. Usually keeps me sated for a while.

Re. the first - yes, it's an alien concept to me. I mean, I understand why people would arrive at this decision, but it's also a huge turn off.

I dunno. I guess so. In grad school, especially (and those days, I was burning up at least 2K calories a day in exercise), we used to go to get Indian food for lunch. I would eat until full, but an hour later, I would be like "man, I could really use a snack."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think they do a pretty decent job. And plus you have to remember. for a  foreign white American he ventures pretty far off.
I like Andrew Zimmerman too. I think those are about the only 2 food shows I can watch these days. Food Network is full of douches.

I sorta like the obvious douches. Guy Fieri is awesome. I love guys who are that unrepentant about their douchiness.

And who doesn't like Ace of Cakes. Love that show.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been eating paleo/primal for about a year and really like it. of course, being overly dogmatic or preachy about it will just suck every ounce of joy out of dining life... and your friends will all hate you. So I sort of loosely follow it, not gonna turn down fresh baked baguette if it's there. but, I have come to enjoy stuff I hadn't really tried much of before like grass-fed meats, wild game, pasture eggs, coconuts, etc. Weird maybe, but works for me.

and oh, I still like to watch Bourdain, but I just think he's slipped into a rut of getting hammered and eating hot dogs on every show.

NTTAWWT :)

There is nothing wrong with getting hammered or eating hotdogs, ever. It should remind everyone of that special time in their lives.

Re. Paleo. I have grass fed beef all the time. Wild game, less. We have tons of local egg guys. I don't think that I've bought an egg laid over a week previous, and not from a hen that runs around all day, for years. Coconuts? Who doesn't love coconuts. If you ever come and visit because you are sent here as punishment (actually, it's pretty nice, though hardly a destination spot), I'll cook you an intense steak. I have a friend whose family has ranched grass fed and finished beef for generations - turns out the finishing is really important. I'll actually cook you some amazing steak and eggs. We can eat a coconut, sadly, not local, for desert. Difference will be that I'll also put some frites under my steak, and you'll miss out on Jen's really terrific chocolate tart.

But you can eat all of that without being paleo/primal. I mean, I eat that, and I'll have a nice piece of cake. I think that it's the dogmatic nature of these diets that just piss me off. The gluten free thing is the worst. I mean, I am sure that some people are genuinely allergic to gluten, but I think most people are just... annoying. I mean, either that, or we have a gluten allergy pandemic on our hands.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I've only ever eaten grass-fed beef. Is corn-fed meant to be better or worse?

Well, all the good beef around here free graze and are thus grass fed. However, different ranchers have different, and very strongly held, views about finishing the beef. I know a few guys who swear that the best taste is when you feed the steer corn before they are slaughtered. Others insist that they should eat grass throughout, period. I personally prefer the taste of grass finished beef.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grass all the way. Dry aged if possible.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Love grass fed beef, the finishing is important because some who tout grass fed don't tell you they're not grass finished. Such a con. I love all that fresh old school ****, I'm about to start drinking raw milk too since I found it in some markets here.

Fok I might take you up on that, I ******* love steak and eggs. I'll eat the damn tart too then we'll do some ******* pullups afterwards if we're not exploding.

And I love coconuts, I use the oil for everything ie moisturizer, pre-shave, conditioner, cooking, eating and sunburn relief.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raw milk is great. We used to get fresh goats milk delivered to our doorstep when I was growing up in Taiwan. There's just no comparison.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But you can eat all of that without being paleo/primal. I mean, I eat that, and I'll have a nice piece of cake. I think that it's the dogmatic nature of these diets that just piss me off. The gluten free thing is the worst. I mean, I am sure that some people are genuinely allergic to gluten, but I think most people are just... annoying. I mean, either that, or we have a gluten allergy pandemic on our hands.

I'm like Parker and follow it loosely as I'm to good friends with alcohol and cake. :embar:

I did a 100 day challenge 2 years ago, where I followed it 100% and oddly enough my allergies (pollen, asthma) went away and haven't returned, my doctor still haven't figured out what happened, but that was enough for me to cut away grain almost entirely, only have it in cake, I didn't have dairy, as I'm slightly allergic, so that wasn't a problem.

As time goes on, my body has started to change it's reactions to sugar, I used to be able to eat danishes like there was no day to tomorrow, now I can't eat one without feeling like **** the rest of the day, so all in all my body works better and I feel better, when I follow it.

Also foods with a low glycemic index number, helps you not get really hyper and/or really tired.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really love dairy, but I've given up drinking milk. I still eat cheese and cheesecake and whipped cream and other delicious things. My stupid forefathers in China decided that dairy wasn't their thing, so they passed on the non-lactose tolerant gene to me, unlike Europeans, who evidently realized that dairy products were delicious. Thanks a lot, ancient Chinese people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads