• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random food thoughts - Street edition

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dating a vegetarian or vegan has been filed under "impossible" for me along with anyone who orders steak cooked past medium rare. Gluten-free and "paleo" are soon to be added to said list.

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever been to Goose Island Shrimp House (not too far away from there)? I've heard many a good thing, but never bothered to stop in while I lived there.

Edit: Oops just realized the place you're talking about is up on Devon. I thought this was one of the half dozen or so joints around Orleans & Oak.

Also, hard to talk about Chicago cheap eats and not mention Harolds. Foo made a point of holding it in contempt, so you know it's good.

I haven't been to any of the Goose Island Breweries yet
shog[1].gif
. I love breaded shrimp though, so when I bulk this winter I'll pay the place a visit in your honor.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dating a vegetarian or vegan has been filed under "impossible" for me along with anyone who orders steak cooked past medium rare. Gluten-free and "paleo" are soon to be added to said list.

I feel the same way. I like a girl with appetites. To me, the only reasons that anyone should be on a restricted diet is if they are grossly overweight, if they have an actual food allergy (as in, a peanut allergy that would put you in the hospital, not some self-identified bullshit), or if they are a professional athlete (non-sumo).

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummmm vegetarian people eat a lot of nice food too.

I mean I love meat as much as the next guy, but there's a lot of nice vegetarian food out there that I wouldn't have discovered if I hadn't gone out with a partially vegetarian girl. There are a lot of vegetarians in the world, particularly the subcontinent, who have come up with some pretty fantastic recipes.

also, lentils are amazing.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's some vegetarian food that manages to taste good. The problem is almost all of these dishes could be improved by meat (or meat products) / have a better tasting meat alternative.

Unrelated: does anybody have input regarding Gazzarrini? A search on the MC side turned up pretty much nothing. I get the impression that it's some mid-tier Italian designer?

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is no wonder why I am alone. Lactose intolerance has sidelined me big time. Really sad

FWIW:
2 double-meat protein burgers with extra well done fries and 2 sides of tea leaf egg was bomb. Washing it all down with almond milk

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

I still like Anthony Bourdain... alot actually.

I don't know what season Anthony Bourdain started his questionable tirades into cultures and governments, but I ignore all of that for the sake of just enjoying the sights. Still an entertaining show though

I am partial to Andrew Zimmern myself. I wish they would quit this American tour stuff and go back to traveling the world again (loved his taste of the tropics episode, namibia, trinidad and tobago, and syria among others)

Do you find it they depict your country's food well in these shows, every time they go to Cuba I think what? thats not how it's like (wouldn't be as entertaining if they did I guess haha)

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
That's the thing I can't stand about ny is that everyone tries so hard to be cool even with their ******* food spots.

Re: kuma's korner, my buddy at jil sander used to go there all the time and said I had to check that out next time I was in town, this was 4 years ago glad to see it's still legit.

I don't know fuuma for some reason I've been scarred by organ meats since I was a kid my parents ate all that **** and I just don't like the taste of liver. I tried calf brain ravioli last year at osteria mozza and didn't like the taste, nothing special as well.

I have to say that persian food is the ******* best. The craziest I go is beef tongue.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IF you in LA, check out the small joint Bawarchi Indian Kitchen. http://www.indianbawarchi.com/start.html

I believe it is vegan friendly or at least vegetarian. Was very good.

edit:
For some Cuban food in LA, Versailles though I think Cana Cuban Parlor in SF tasted better.

Korean food, 8 Palsaik KBBQ was alright. Preferred Tahoe Galbi though you can categorize the two as different types.

Last edited:

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
c'mon guys. we all know our moms and aunts make the best foods

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gluten-free and "paleo" are soon to be added to said list.

Paleo isn't that bad compared to vegetarians, as you don't get the whole you know that animal rant everytime you walk past a butcher and you can get some REALLY good paleo food.

There's a Michelin chef here in Copenhagen, who has made his Michelin restaurant almost paleo and has opened a paleo fast food chain.

Had one of these with roasted pork the other day. :devil:

It is no wonder why I am alone. Lactose intolerance has sidelined me big time. Really sad

Can't you have lactose free dairy, I used to drink it that and soy.

I don't know what season Anthony Bourdain started his questionable tirades into cultures and governments, but I ignore all of that for the sake of just enjoying the sights. Still an entertaining show though

It's a CNN show, so it could have been forced down from above.

The Korea town show, it made some sense as it was part of the background story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads