• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random food thoughts - Street edition

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hendrix @GraphicNovelty @ManofKent Any of you guys have a favorite vegan or vegetarian lentil soup/stew/curry recipe you can share?

Last edited:

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

garlic fried rice, fried skirt steak, sunny eggs for lunch

293kf8h.jpg

sweet plantains braised in simple syrup, brown sugar, & vanilla served with crushed ice, evaporated milk, & tapioca pearls

2hy8e9s.jpg

bump

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do a blog but honestly between school and work, writing copy feels like an immense chore. I just like posting what i make on social media (fb/ig @graphicnovelty) or forums (here, reddit) so i'm engaging with people that already (somewhat) know me.
It's not just that. A forum, in particular, is reactive - your posts are part of a conversation. This is why posting in a thread is so much easier than starting a new thread, unless you have a specific point to make or question to ask.

(Did a deep drilldown into the DB of several forums, and found that this is nearly universally true)

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not just that. A forum, in particular, is reactive - your posts are part of a conversation. This is why posting in a thread is so much easier than starting a new thread, unless you have a specific point to make or question to ask.

(Did a deep drilldown into the DB of several forums, and found that this is nearly universally true)
This is instagram's weakness as a social platform

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is instagram's weakness as a social platform
This is where we come it. "Come for the clothes, stay for the company", as in, the community, is really, that. And also the reason that threaded forums are still relevant. I mean, it's a web 2.0 technology that has morphed to stay relevant through several iterations of the internet (not even just the web).

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@hendrix
 @GraphicNovelty
 @ManofKent
  Any of you guys have a favorite vegan or vegetarian lentil soup/stew/curry recipe you can share? 

I love a lentil dal occasionally, but it's an occasional thing for me as a good dal has to be oily.

I'm not an exact measurer so they vary a bit but basically for enough for two:

Fry half a small onion, a clove of garlic and roughly a half inch piece of fresh ginger (chopped) in oil (ghee is best but I tend to use rice bran or failing that a mild olive oil) until soft but not coloured.

Add about a teaspoon of dried ground coriander and about the same of whole cumin seeds, 1/2 a teaspoon of tumeric and the merest pinch of asafoetida, frying for just a few seconds before adding a couple of finely chopped medium sized ripe tomatoes (I have been known to use tinned if I have't got any decent fresh tomatoes) and a finely chopped small red or green chili (it depends on mood and what I've got in - both work). Fry for another couple of minutes adding a bit more oil. Add about 100gm of dried red lentils (I think this what the US would call half a cup?). Fry for a few more seconds.

Add water (not something I ever measure but I'm guessing a little over a pint, but you can adjust as it cooks). Bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 20mins.

When it's cooked add a good handful of chopped coriander (cilantro?) or parsley if I don't ave coriander growing and stir in. Keep warm whilst frying the other half of the onion in a reasonable quantity of oil, until it goes crispy.

Put dal in bowls and serve with the fried onion and oil on top. Eat with bread or rice depending on mood and a bit of fresh yoghurt.

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love a lentil dal occasionally, but it's an occasional thing for me as a good dal has to be oily.

I'm not an exact measurer so they vary a bit but basically for enough for two:

Fry half a small onion, a clove of garlic and roughly a half inch piece of fresh ginger (chopped) in oil (ghee is best but I tend to use rice bran or failing that a mild olive oil) until soft but not coloured.

Add about a teaspoon of dried ground coriander and about the same of whole cumin seeds, 1/2 a teaspoon of tumeric and the merest pinch of asafoetida, frying for just a few seconds before adding a couple of finely chopped medium sized ripe tomatoes (I have been known to use tinned if I have't got any decent fresh tomatoes) and a finely chopped small red or green chili (it depends on mood and what I've got in - both work). Fry for another couple of minutes adding a bit more oil. Add about 100gm of dried red lentils (I think this what the US would call half a cup?). Fry for a few more seconds.

Add water (not something I ever measure but I'm guessing a little over a pint, but you can adjust as it cooks). Bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 20mins.

When it's cooked add a good handful of chopped coriander (cilantro?) or parsley if I don't ave coriander growing and stir in. Keep warm whilst frying the other half of the onion in a reasonable quantity of oil, until it goes crispy.

Put dal in bowls and serve with the fried onion and oil on top. Eat with bread or rice depending on mood and a bit of fresh yoghurt.

One thing i learned from Madhur Jeffrey is that you can actually bloom the spices in oil seperately to the lentils (which you cook with aromatics) and then pour in at the end and it makes it much more flavorful. I'd give that a try if you're feeling like changing it up

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One thing i learned from Madhur Jeffrey is that you can actually bloom the spices in oil seperately to the lentils (which you cook with aromatics) and then pour in at the end and it makes it much more flavorful. I'd give that a try if you're feeling like changing it up

I've tried adding extra ground coriander to the onion and oil that I add on top at the last minute and that worked well. I hadn't considered adding all the spices to the oil though - I'll give it a go sometime. I mix the spices up from time to time -sometimes adding a garam masala mix. The great thing about dals is they're difficult to get badly wrong - the only time I've really made a bad one was when I tried to be healthy and cut down on the oil too much. Yellow split peas make a nice change from red lentils, and green lentils if you pre-soak them can be good.

coolron

Reaction score
Yes, this is what you do for everyday dals

coolron

Reaction score
Had a pretty amazing dinner Saturday night at Semilla in Brooklyn

Sorry for the out of focus images, camera was acting crappy that night

Potato custard with black truffle

Tempura of Taranome with Bergamot Aioli, Cedar Salt & Seville Orange

White Asparagus with Carolina Gold Rice & Garlic

Polenta Sourdough bread with Cowbella Butter & Buttermilk

Potatoes with Onion & Meyer Lemon

Root Vegetables with Kale & Whey

Rutabaga with Sunflower Seeds & Black Olives

Grits with Fried Shallots

Parsnip Mousse with Maple Sap Granita & Yogurt

Preserved Tomato & Grapefruit Tart

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Semilla is awesome. I went there when it opened. The bread is heavenly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics