• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not that I know of. Grand Livre is his stuff from his first career, not his current food.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the recipe for the Robuchon quail with foie gras in any book? I have felt like making that for some time and seen a few of you dudes making it but couldn't find the recipe in any books. Le Grand Livre is like $500 so I just go browse it at the store. :eek:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
thanks dudes. So in that video he's already prepped the quail mostly - it was wrapped in caul fat and roasted?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The breasts aren't wrapped in anything. You just fillet each one open, stick in some cooked foie gras, and then roll them up in plastic and cook sous vide. I guess you could do it with caul and roast them conventionally, if you'd like.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happened upon some calf tail. Any particular applications, other than to use for a sauce of sorts?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are rather small. What would you do, use the meat as a filling for something?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh come on ed, you just were here. I mean "small", "meat", "filling for something"... not even a small twss?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He's on a plane I think. he said he was in London then maybe coming to Tokyo. If he comes out here I will keep him from edinafailing too much

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen him in the "Currently Viewing" thingy. I can only blame it on the radiation up there, I really hope he didn't lose his ability.

Anyway, back to calf tails.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

They are rather small. What would you do, use the meat as a filling for something?

I've had braised oxtail as the filling in ravioli and gow gee. Both were excellent.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. That's what I was thinking. I just got a pasta roller, so I will be trying my hand at ravioli for the first time sometime soon.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will you precook the filling (I guess so)? Makes it much easier to use Matt's/fg's method to just blanch the pasta and then warm/cook it in the oven.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will you precook the filling (I guess so)? Makes it much easier to use Matt's/fg's method to just blanch the pasta and then warm/cook it in the oven.

Well, yeah. The tails need to braise first. Then I'll chill them in some of the reduced cooking liquid and go from there. I do have a recipe for langoustine ravioli where you add them in raw, and everything just cooks in the boiling water for three minutes, but I think veal tails needs to cook a bit longer. :foo:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads