• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I thought baby spinach was too fragile to cook with? Like cooking with lettuce.
I cook lettuce all the time. No, it isn't too fragile.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So with braised pork belly...any idea how to crisp the skin after braising other than the BBQ grill, yet still keep that belly nice and moist and tender?

don't you crisp it first?
eh.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So with braised pork belly...any idea how to crisp the skin after braising other than the BBQ grill, yet still keep that belly nice and moist and tender?

High powered torch. Gets used in pro kitchens all the time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
don't you crisp it first?
eh.gif

Not really. To start with, I put it skin side down for about 15 minutes on low heat, flip and do the same. Then skin side down in the braising liquid. I have a BBQ basket (thingie for wings or fish) and put in that, then grill until crisp on both sides. I use the basket as it's so tender that any sticking means you might well have your belly fall apart.

Originally Posted by SField
High powered torch. Gets used in pro kitchens all the time.

Sounding more and more like I need to get a torch.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounding more and more like I need to get a torch.

It's really fun... first time I got one I was a kid.. and this is before Williams and Sonoma type places sold them. You're going to torch everything... bananas, peaches, every ******* meat you can find... your wife is going to roll her eyes for a while.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's really fun... first time I got one I was a kid.. and this is before Williams and Sonoma type places sold them. You're going to torch everything... bananas, peaches, every ******* meat you can find... your wife is going to roll her eyes for a while.

laugh.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

lol, my experience down to the ingredients and eye rolling.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't you just pan sear it after braising?

Although the torch would be great for prime rib...

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My exact experience with my torch also.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
my father once let me hold a torch when I was a youth. I got excited and asked if I could fry some bugs outside with it. After getting a lecture on torch safety, I proceeded to torch some bugs outside. I didn't take into account the fact that all of the bugs were sitting on our landscape shrubbery and a torch would leave burn spots on the plants. They were, after all, torched.

that is the last time I touched a torch.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
My exact experience with my torch also.

I had the torch taken away when I was about 12 because one morning my nanny caught me torching the surface of my steel cut oats. I don't think I got to use one again until I was a pro.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
You prefer Salamanders I assume?
Salamanders are great, but most people don't have one in their home. I also find the very immediate, direct contact of flame, doesn't cook the product as much as a salamander might. A pan's heat is sort of less direct, whereas the torch affects mostly only the area that the flame touches. A pan affects more than that, and a salamander even moreso. I've seen meats negatively affected by being seared after being cooked SV.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth