Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Bradden

Bradden Well-Known Member

Does your oven have a built in broiler ?

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

order in. when you're having people over is the very worst time to be trying to cook something for the first time. especially if there is likely to be alcohol involved. and most especially if you think that cooking chicken legs directly on the oven rack is going to be a work-saver.

3. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

FG is spot on, order in, getting flour, water, yeast and salt to turn into tasty pizza crust is a lot harder than one might think. If you're still going to do it, here's a good start.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

4. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

i was kidding about the chicken.

but, really? I mean, I figure make-ahead is the best thing to do for the dough, this is casual enough, and I thought just rolling out the dough and putting some toppings on would not be a bad idea? I am a capable enough cook, though of course many of these skills do not translate to baking. I had hoped you'd at least have an article or a friend with a book or something. :(

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

The pizza dough recipe FG gave me was delicious and easy as pie, even if I thought it was too perfect looking.

6. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Let me be clear here - these are good friends and we're just watching the game and having some fun. Children will be present. A less than perfect pizza-crust with solid toppings will be, at worst, better than anything we can order in. And if not, we can still order in. And nobody, least of all me, will care. The point is to have fun. Not to provide the ultimate pizza.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

More or less. I'm just trying to improve on the basics. After I get that down, THEN I'll start fucking around with the other details. Remember, I'm new at this shit. Given the volume that I'm cooking, I figured trying to stay simple was the best way to go about it. I don't want to fuck up $20 worth of thighs.

I lol'ed

Sure do. What do you have in mind?

Good lord this sounds like a horrible idea. People are there to watch football, not take an amateur cooking class. Nothing worse than being invited over someone's house and being drafted into working, much less cooking your own food. Just order a pizza and make a batch of wings. Keep it simple.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    in that case, i don't remember which recipe I have Matt, was it my test kitchen's, or was it the Peter Reinhart? I like both of them,but do have a slight preference for this one.

9. otc

otc Senior member

I think you also saved him from having to clean anything in his house ever again [COLOR=f1f1f1](except the ashes of course)[/COLOR]

10. itsstillmatt

From The Italian Baker. Took two minutes to make in the food processor. No fuss at all when pulling into shape. I think the olive oil in it probably made it so smooth and without blisters, but it also made it delicious and simple.

11. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I'm excited for you, Rambo. Good luck with your thighs.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i dunno man. pie isn't that easy to make

13. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

FG, What does the oil add to the finished crust? I love NY style crusts (crusty, chewy, and light) which are made from just flour, yeast, salt, and water.

Lamb turned out awesome BTW, thanks for the anchovy suggestion- it gave the meat enough flavor to make it very unique without actually tasting fishy. I also ended up adding a bit of cumin, which went well with the rosemary and Palestinian Qidar side dish.

14. itsstillmatt

Shortens the gluten. Makes it easier to work.

15. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Are tallow and suet interchangeable? I'm trying a recipe that calls for liquefied suet. Also calls for bitter oranges which I'm having trouble finding, the interwebz say I can use a mix of orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime as a sub, sound right?