• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

Bradden

Reaction score

Browning isn't of utmost importance to me. Honestly. I was just attempting to incorporate it into the cooking method at hand by changing around the temp/arrangement/etc. Basically, I just need them to be cooked and edible.

Does your oven have a built in broiler ?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Obviously I can look this up on the internet but whatever I find may not be SF-approved, so I thought I'd try here first.
For the games this Sunday, I have a few folks coming over, so I thought I'd try out my new stand mixer (I've never had one, this is kind of exciting) by whipping up a quick batch of pizza dough and a bit of zesty sauce and providing condiments so people could make their own thin-crusts.
Any recommendations, recipes, tips? Obviously I'll need to go get a big stone, hopefully to accommodate 2 or so pizzas at a time (I know they don't take long) - what other ingredients/tools/advice would you recommend? (corn meal, a paddle?)

order in. when you're having people over is the very worst time to be trying to cook something for the first time. especially if there is likely to be alcohol involved. and most especially if you think that cooking chicken legs directly on the oven rack is going to be a work-saver.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FG is spot on, order in, getting flour, water, yeast and salt to turn into tasty pizza crust is a lot harder than one might think. If you're still going to do it, here's a good start.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i was kidding about the chicken.

but, really? I mean, I figure make-ahead is the best thing to do for the dough, this is casual enough, and I thought just rolling out the dough and putting some toppings on would not be a bad idea? I am a capable enough cook, though of course many of these skills do not translate to baking. I had hoped you'd at least have an article or a friend with a book or something. :(

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pizza dough recipe FG gave me was delicious and easy as pie, even if I thought it was too perfect looking.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Let me be clear here - these are good friends and we're just watching the game and having some fun. Children will be present. A less than perfect pizza-crust with solid toppings will be, at worst, better than anything we can order in. And if not, we can still order in. And nobody, least of all me, will care. The point is to have fun. Not to provide the ultimate pizza.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

it kind of sounds like you got it then. if you want to make it taste good, you'll have to do it a little different. it might take another step or two. it might require a rack. it might require doing it in two shifts so you don't crowd the tray. but if all you want is edible, you're fine. shred them and put them on a salad.

More or less. I'm just trying to improve on the basics. After I get that down, THEN I'll start ******* around with the other details. Remember, I'm new at this ****. Given the volume that I'm cooking, I figured trying to stay simple was the best way to go about it. I don't want to **** up $20 worth of thighs.

Just put the chicken thighs right on the oven racks, no cookie sheets.
I just saved you from having to do the dishes.

I lol'ed

Does your oven have a built in broiler ?

Sure do. What do you have in mind?

Obviously I can look this up on the internet but whatever I find may not be SF-approved, so I thought I'd try here first.
For the games this Sunday, I have a few folks coming over, so I thought I'd try out my new stand mixer (I've never had one, this is kind of exciting) by whipping up a quick batch of pizza dough and a bit of zesty sauce and providing condiments so people could make their own thin-crusts.
Any recommendations, recipes, tips? Obviously I'll need to go get a big stone, hopefully to accommodate 2 or so pizzas at a time (I know they don't take long) - what other ingredients/tools/advice would you recommend? (corn meal, a paddle?)

Good lord this sounds like a horrible idea. People are there to watch football, not take an amateur cooking class. Nothing worse than being invited over someone's house and being drafted into working, much less cooking your own food. Just order a pizza and make a batch of wings. Keep it simple.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in that case, i don't remember which recipe I have Matt, was it my test kitchen's, or was it the Peter Reinhart? I like both of them,but do have a slight preference for this one.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just put the chicken thighs right on the oven racks, no cookie sheets.
I just saved you from having to do the dishes.

I think you also saved him from having to clean anything in his house ever again [COLOR=f1f1f1](except the ashes of course)[/COLOR]

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

in that case, i don't remember which recipe I have Matt, was it my test kitchen's, or was it the Peter Reinhart? I like both of them,but do have a slight preference for this one.

From The Italian Baker. Took two minutes to make in the food processor. No fuss at all when pulling into shape. I think the olive oil in it probably made it so smooth and without blisters, but it also made it delicious and simple.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FG, What does the oil add to the finished crust? I love NY style crusts (crusty, chewy, and light) which are made from just flour, yeast, salt, and water.

Lamb turned out awesome BTW, thanks for the anchovy suggestion- it gave the meat enough flavor to make it very unique without actually tasting fishy. I also ended up adding a bit of cumin, which went well with the rosemary and Palestinian Qidar side dish.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FG, What does the oil add to the finished crust? I love NY style crusts (crusty, chewy, and light) which are made from just flour, yeast, salt, and water.
Lamb turned out awesome BTW, thanks for the anchovy suggestion- it gave the meat enough flavor to make it very unique without actually tasty fishy. I also ended up adding a bit of cumin, which went well with the rosemary, and Palestinian Qidar side dish.

Shortens the gluten. Makes it easier to work.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are tallow and suet interchangeable? I'm trying a recipe that calls for liquefied suet. Also calls for bitter oranges which I'm having trouble finding, the interwebz say I can use a mix of orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime as a sub, sound right?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads